The food thread

For me, I'd either be looking at:
1.) a little bit of drying time (e.g. 20 or so minutes) in the fridge.
2.) Longer/lower cooking (give the chicken breast plenty of time to come to near finishing temp), pull the chicken off, last minute throw chicken back into skillet (near smoking oil).

How hot is your pan? It should be nearly smoking (and pretty hefty to dump a lot of stored heat into the meat). Just a quick shake should get enough of the surface water off.

I have been using this for a long while on chicken breasts, cut fine with dried tarragon.

It certainly seems to give very tender results, but how to dry the chicken before frying? Leave the juice in and it spends too long at boiling temperature until all the water has gone - there is already enough water injected into our birds, I suspect.

I have taken to using copious amounts of kitchen roll to pat it dry, but this also lifts off a lot of the herbs (or erbs to some of you!). I can then toss the chicken in smoking butter/olive oil for less than five minutes for a browned outer but well cooked inside.

Any tips?

Quick answer is: Don't fry the chicken! Broil or grill it, intense local dry heat browns the chicken and removes excess surface moisture quickly. I usually marinate chicken breasts (preferably skin-on and bone-in, but insipid skinless-boneless if forced)) in lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic, and fresh herbs if available (dried otherwise) and a bit of oil. Throw them on a hot grill, reduce heat after a few minutes so they cook through without drying out, Robert's your mother's brother.

It took me years to enjoy chicken breast. It was always so dry and tasteless. One day I was given a bunch of full breasts and asked to prep them. I was too lazy to bone and skin them so I came up with an idea.
I took them whole, spread the ribs and flattened it a bit with the heel of my hand. I peeled back the skin and put copious amount of a wet paste on the breast. I pulled the skin back over to hold the paste in place and left it for an hour before roasting. Works extremely well at infusing the flavours and retaining moisture. So well that it's about the only way I do breast.

The paste can be almost anything. One of my favourites is vinegar and/or lemon and/or lime, chilies or cayenne powder, paprika and coarse salt. You can add whatever you like but that's a good starting point.

Yes Cal, the skin is there to protect the meat from drying out, removing it is bad. Also chopped fresh herbs (thyme, parsley, rosemary, sage...) in your paste does wodners, also a bit of oil.

Wipe it dry with a piece of kitchen paper*.
Then wrap the chicken breast multiple times in clean dry paper.

Take a plastic food container, pour a layer of coarse (sea) salt in.
Place the chicken mummy on top of the salt.
Put the lid on the sarcophagus.

(* I use pro kitchen paper, got two Tork M1 dispensers in the kitchen. It's paper that doesn't fall apart, I get it at an f&b wholesaler, no idea where else to buy decent wiping paper)

Interesting idea. What happens to the salt, do you have to discard it? That gets pretty expensive. Or does that salt adsorb the moisture but prevent development of pathogens?

Quick answer is: Don't fry the chicken! Broil or grill it, intense local dry heat browns the chicken and removes excess surface moisture quickly. I usually marinate chicken breasts (preferably skin-on and bone-in, but insipid skinless-boneless if forced)) in lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic, and fresh herbs if available (dried otherwise) and a bit of oil. Throw them on a hot grill, reduce heat after a few minutes so they cook through without drying out, Robert's your mother's brother.
+1. Grill or broil

Quesadilllas

I made quesadillas my favorite way tonight.

Often I make them with Flour Tortillas, salsa, cheddar.

Sometimes I fry them, but if the heat is low enough I can "toast" them in a dry skillet.

My favorite way is: corn tortillas, mozzarella, fried in butter, salt them as soon as they come out of the pan. Mmmm

How do you make them?

Precook onions/pepper (random other things laying around my crisper drawer).

Take the wrapper of a butter cube an get a tiny bit of bacon grease on it. Rub on outer (skillet) surfaces of tortillas.

Medium heat pan, assemble with whatever cheese I have around, add in (warm) veggies. Been known to crack an egg in the middle, too.

Once that side is sufficiently crispy (and if egg, when that has set up well enough), flip over and start working on another pan/quesadilla.

Serve hot with salsa (verde, always verde). Quesadillas are used mostly for fridge cleanup. :)

Question on the quail size

I think they were apx 120-150 gramm each. Price here usually is 6 $ for one, but they went for half price to me. Not all times available except on specialty market.
2 pcs for each person is just fine with side dishes, i could also take 3 or 4 when really hungry.

BTW: Nice pic with bottles from the party. No headache??;)

I used to only share pics of amps or speakers, and now I'm compelled to photograph food! This is a fun thread though.

We had pork chops tonight. I used my favorite spices: salt, pepper, garlic and Thyme. Very simple, and simply delicious.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    911.6 KB · Views: 111