The food thread

What do potatoes o'brian consist of?

It's simply fried potatoes with bell pepper and onion.

Dice the potatoes very fine. I like to use left over boiled or baked potatoes. You can fry them hotter, crispier if they've already cooked once, so you're only trying to warm the potato through and put a crust on it. I have failed when I try with raw potatoes, they stick all over the pan, and they'll either be burned on the outside, or crunchy-raw in the middle.

What's even better is to all to the above some celery, beef stock, mustard (or other season you like) and some left over pot roast or corned beef. Bake it in the oven and you have Beef Hash. (You can start with raw potatoes for hash, the time in the oven makes it work)

Last edited:
Oh, I see what you did here. :)

Alex--how'd your pork shoulder turn out?

It was very good. I skipped on the condensed milk though, so I'm still not sure what I may be missing there.

Next time I think I'll use 10 jalapeños instead of 5. I didn't feel that the pepper flavor note came through as strong as I would like. -On the other hand, a friend came for dinner (he sometimes has heartburn troubles), so I did remove all the seeds from the peppers, so maybe that was it. A fresh hit of lime on the meat in a warm corn tortilla made it very delicious. Served with black beans and taco ranch salad.

Just finished freezing some portions of it. One will be slider sandwiches (thaw add, cole slaw and a bun), another will be sloppy joes, and probably tacos again. It's nice to have something that will thaw and serve quickly without a lot of prep on a weeknight.

Another thing I once did with left over pulled pork carnitas meat. Fold apple sauce into it, serve it just on a plate with baked potatoes and a vegetable. The sweet apple sauce against the spicy meat is nice.

Last edited:
Very nice, glad to hear! Much of the punch is held in the pepper seeds, so I'm sure that had a huge part in it. Given your friend, loading up a bit heavier on something milder like a Hatch might not have been a bad plan (to keep that pepper essence in there).

Pressure cooker carnitas are probably my favorite thing to do with pork shoulder.

It's simply fried potatoes with bell pepper and onion.

Dice the potatoes very fine. I like to use left over boiled or baked potatoes. You can fry them hotter, crispier if they've already cooked once, so you're only trying to warm the potato through and put a crust on it. I have failed when I try with raw potatoes, they stick all over the pan, and they'll either be burned on the outside, or crunchy-raw in the middle.

What's even better is to all to the above some celery, beef stock, mustard (or other season you like) and some left over pot roast or corned beef. Bake it in the oven and you have Beef Hash. (You can start with raw potatoes for hash, the time in the oven makes it work)
Yea ........... My Grandpa used to fry potatoes from raw and do a wonderfull job ............... But it took ~1 hr and a lot of attention ......

Tell him to investigate the wonders of lemon juice. What you say? I did too until I tried it. 4 oz. or so a day and I haven't taken an antacid since I started the 'treatment.'
Acid reflux is no longer a part of my life.
Haven't heard of this. I have a couple of good friends who frequently suffer. Are you squeezing a lot of lemons or can you get by sometimes with the bottled stuff?

Tell him to investigate the wonders of lemon juice. What you say? I did too until I tried it. 4 oz. or so a day and I haven't taken an antacid since I started the 'treatment.'
Acid reflux is no longer a part of my life.
I may try this myself. My sister says if she wakes up with acid reflux a glass of OJ helps. Seems counter intuitive to take citric acid, but if it works, yeah

good friends who frequently suffer.

Hiatus hernia (hernia diaphragmatica oesophagei), aka the opening for the oesophagus is or has become wider.
The raised acidity helps open the pylorus sphincter valve (responds to ph level) in the bottom of the stomach faster, empties it more rapidly.

To reduce reflux requires a accelerator to make it go into the right direction.
Cause and effect.

Last edited:
Yesterdays dinner, some spinach with chillies, Quinoa with turmeric, curry powder and garam massala, and two quails per person and some spanish red wine. Nothing left over. :cool:

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    766.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    370.1 KB · Views: 84
Hiatus hernia (hernia diaphragmatica oesophagei), aka the opening for the oesophagus is or has become wider.
The raised acidity helps open the pylorus sphincter valve (responds to ph level) in the bottom of the stomach faster, empties it more rapidly.

To reduce reflux requires a accelerator to make it go into the right direction.
Cause and effect.

I find meditation helps empty the stomach.