The food thread

A little too yeasty for me:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    935.6 KB · Views: 163
You use a small but very sharp knife and "disassemble" the beast. The tamale is in the cavity when you remove the tail. That beast is too big to cook whole (5 kgs.) even in a 20 litre stock pot. Oh, and don't forget to run a skewer through the brain a few times first. They get really mad if you just start removing pieces. They're like cows that way. :)

Attachments

• IMG_7497.jpg
    IMG_7497.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 126
OK boys, here's one for those who are not culinary inclined and still wish to impress. First go get a toothbrush if you don't already have an extra, chances are she's gonna stay when she finds out what you're made of. Beforehand, as in Friday afternoon get a party pack of chicken thighs (12-24). This works even for the girls who say they only eat white meat. Trust me on this one. First thing you do is peel the skins and save them along with the fat trimmings. Next you cut the meat off the sides of the thighs so you have something that resembles a 'rib'. Give them a quick fry and put them in a greased pan. Add your favourite BBQ type sauce and bake them for about 30 mins. You will get kisses for this.

The skin and fat will be used for a soup the next day.

Take the chicken skin along with the fat and cut it up fine. Put them in a pot of hot water along with some coarse salt and a little coriander. Boil that for a couple hours and let cool. When cool enough, put it in the fridge overnight. Next morning scoop off the fat, rewarm the stock and filter out the uglies. I like to use a cheese cloth but even an old towel will work provided you rinse the soap from the clothes washer out first. Bring the stock to a boil, add some broken spaghetti noodles then a few minutes later add some celery, carrot, onion and whatever else you want. 10 minutes later you have a chicken soup. This is assuming you have stayed in bed late due to her 'thank you's'.

OK, soup is outta the way and you do something nice like going to the museum or art galley for the afternoon. (no watching NASCAR on TV doesn't cut it, get used to it)

The leftover thigh meat you can slice into smaller bits to use use in a stir-fry along with some veggies and again your favourite stir-fry sauce. Having a bed of rice doesn't hurt either, they seem to go together.

So now it's after dinner on a Saturday night...I leave the rest to you.

Pic 1 chicken 'ribs' before sauce
Pic 2 stock still simmering
pic 3 leftover chicken being pre-fried as I can't use it right away. Still can be added at the end when stir frying

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_7523.jpg
    IMG_7523.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_7522.jpg
    IMG_7522.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_7521.jpg
    IMG_7521.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 109
Next you're gonna tell me that you use only briquettes in your grill. ;) That's fine, water off the back to a cook. It has so much more to do with the pan you use than the heat source but thanks for your input nonetheless...

Now for the more serious side of 'love' food...salmon

Dry brine the fillets in salt, sugar and liquid smoke (sorry still not real smoker season yet but that's ok, you get excellent results regardless). Leave it in the heavy brine for 8 hours then into the dehydrator she goes. By 8 tomorrow morning it will be ready and a nice addition to the pork side ribs and chicken 'ribs'. The pork was grilled first then cut and put in a simmering sauce, cooked for 30 minutes and pulled. Heat everything up for 30 minutes tomorrow for lunch and along with a hockey game with my father in law, life will be good.

Attachments

• IMG_7514.jpg
    IMG_7514.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_7517.jpg
    IMG_7517.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 58