The food thread

Hi Cliff,
It isn't what to do with it that is the concern. I'm sure many of us have childhood memories of coming in from the cold and having a nice hearty bowl of Oxtail soup or stew that warmed you right to the cockles. We just have trouble understanding why something that used to be a giveaway at the butcher now rivals some finer cuts in price. Here it costs 6 or 7 dollars per pound. That puts in in the same league as rib meat.

I understand the price of chicken wings as they have become very popular.

On the other hand chicken liver is getting expensive considering there is not such demand for it. Same as you say about the ox tail.

I can get 'chicken tenders' on sale ($1.99/lb) for less than livers ($2.49lb.

supply and demand.

Same old, same old. My gripe is that it happens to the things I like. I really like taking an underdog cut of meat and see if I'm up to the challenge and this throws the whole game plan out the window. When I was a kid, Mom would slow roast pork neckbones and sauce them up before serving. In our house that was called dinosaur bones. You could sit and munch away on these things for an hour having lots of fun while you did it. You really earned your protein that night. She was always so happy we would eat them like that, knowing that if she didn't take them they were thrown away. She grew during rations so she was very conscious of wastage.

After ww2, a substantial number of Rotterdam citizens couldn't afford regular meat.
So they often bought cow nipples from the butchers. As a waste product, it cost the least, sorta like chicken wings.

Nowadays, there are just a couple of R'dam butchers who run a tittybar.
So they charge more for a pound of large nipples than they do for braising steak.

Last edited:
Chicken feet maybe?
I enjoy them fried and with the right simmering sauce but my gawd I have to get past where they have been before I can even consider.

I know the wings were just paddles in the same...but at least there's some meat.

Funny that reminds me, last time I was in Shanghai the office let me order a dish, I picked goose feet with abalone in "special sauce". The sauce seemed like two canned ones mixed together but it was only $8.

Nowadays, there are just a couple of R'dam butchers who run a tittybar.
So they charge more for a pound of large nipples than they do for braising steak.

Good lord, I thought I knew what that phrase meant, at least in English! It is often said here that "hot dogs" are made from "lips, tits and a$$holes." However, the next time I am in the Netherlands I will try to remember that "tittybar" has a different meaning in Rotterdam than in Amsterdam!

Actually I would wellcome an alternate method for abalone
than that used by my buddies (who catch them over on the coast)
They pound them then egg & flour (or just flour) /with spices
and deep fry ......
Good but I have learned to appreciate the flavor of the fish it'self
rather than the coating.
I like to steam (perhaps 'poach' is the proper term) trout
Any body have a recipe for poached abalone ?