The food thread

With the end of El Bullie these folks are probably at the top of the tall food chain. 585 euros for lunch for 2 and one bottle of wine (ouch!).

Arzak

Walnut Grove Cookery Class in Loire Valley - where foodies go to brush up on their trade-craft :D

French holiday cookery courses, Gourmet vacations in France

- I'm not sure I want to know the total cost including travel etc - but hey, I've been on a total of 2 or 3 Caribbean cruises that cost of couple of grand each and were memorably forgettable

Jules was a gourmet cook before this - I'm not so sure my mostly vegetarian alimentary tract can handle this coming Thanksgiving or X-Mas dinner - but I'll give it a shot just to get to the deserts. :cloud9:

Enchaladas (see previous post) and stuffed mushrooms for dinner.

Mushrooms weren't bad for a first try.

Attachments

• DSCN2333.jpg
    DSCN2333.jpg
    758.5 KB · Views: 112
Not food I cooked but delicious all the same: Natal Plums. They taste like a combination of a cranberry, raspberry and a plum. When ripe they take on a deep red color abd the more ripe the fruit the more pronounced the cranberry raspberry flavors.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The plant itself is basically the who's who list of traits indicating a poisonous plant. Milky sap, thorns, bright red fruit, related to other toxic plants (oleander, dogbane, etc). In reality the fruit is non-toxic and the plant is only mildly toxic at best. The flowers smell very similar to jasmine. While the thorns have a characteristic double thorn. The fruit is rather fragile and when cut will have a red or milky juice. The milkyness is a natural edible latex, similar to what is found in figs, and the amount varies from plant to plant. It's actually a commonly used decorative plant in many areas as the thorns provide a degree of intrusion protection while the flowers smell wonderful. Most people don't realize the fruit is edible.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.