The food thread

Why not just leave out the spices? I confess I am not a huge fan of poached or steamed fish. Two reasons. First, poaching and steaming are "wet" cooking methods. Frying and grilling are "dry" heat methods. Fish has a delicate flavour, and wet heat tends to dissipate flavour; the flavour is carried away by the moisture. Second reason is texture, I think poaching (and to a lesser degree steaming) creates a mushy texture. I mean, fish already live in the water, you don't need to add moisture!

So for fish in general I like either fast pan-frying or grilling. For pan-fried you may need to dredge the fish lightly in flour, perhaps with a bit of salt, but eschew other flavourings if you want to taste the fish. The flour just keeps the fish from sticking. Get a pan very hot, add a little oil, slide in the fish, sear it, turn it, wait a minute...done! For grilling, get your grill (gas or charcoal, whatever) as hot as you can, brush the fish with oil so it doesn't,the dry out, and get it over the fire. You may need something like a steel mesh pan, or skewers, to keep it from falling into the fire. Both these methods tend to concentrate flavours.

Disclaimer:. I've never eaten abalone, this is just my thoughts about cooking fish in general.

Why not just leave out the spices? I confess I am not a huge fan of poached or steamed fish. Two reasons. First, poaching and steaming are "wet" cooking methods. Frying and grilling are "dry" heat methods. Fish has a delicate flavour, and wet heat tends to dissipate flavour; the flavour is carried away by the moisture. Second reason is texture, I think poaching (and to a lesser degree steaming) creates a mushy texture. I mean, fish already live in the water, you don't need to add moisture!

Yes, but...one of the most lovely fish dishes I ever prepared was monk fish poached on a bed of leeks with just enough "liquid" to cover the leeks. The liquid in this case was a combination of fish stock and heavy cream and cracked white pepper. Cover the fish with parchment paper and poach until firm. You could use other aromatics like lemon grass and ginger...

I love fried fish, btw -- particularly walleye -- I can remember that the breed almost went extinct in the 1970's.

Last edited:
I confess I am not a huge fan of poached or steamed fish.

Adoeh !! Anda miskin. (<= poor you :clown: )

Pepes Ikan Mas - Farah Quinn [Ala Chef] #Resep - YouTube

Pepes ikan (mas= gold aka yellow from the turmeric), an Indonesian classic.
(in order of appearance : lime juice, chopped onion, turmeric, ginger, laos aka small galangal, garlic, salt, pepper, banged lemongrass stems aka sereh, Indonesian bayleaf, basil leaves, + banana leaves aka daun pisang, + hole red chili peppers added on the plate, aka as rawit)

Aka Pepesan (Ikan) here, can be bought ready-steamed and still wrapped in banana leaves at various places.
Usually with a layer of chopped red chilies on top of the fish, minus the turmeric.
But preparing it yourself with all-fresh ingredients is outta this world.

Last edited:
More power!

Attachments

• wok.jpg
    wok.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 74
How it's cooked is really determined by the fish. Just as you cook land animals differently.

True enough, and there are cuts of beef and pork I would only cook "dry" and other cuts I would only stew or braised. And Jacco I have made similar dishes with our local haddock, simmered in coconut milk flavoured with spices and chilis. Those dishes are delicious, but to me are also waste of really good, really fresh fish, and i reserve them for second-rate fish (i.e., caught yesterday not today)

Tonight was easy. My honey is leaving me tomorrow for a week away and she said no cooking tonight so all I did was a bean curd stick with Shiitake mushroom dish and earlier I bought a bbq duck, some green lip seaweed and 5 spiced marinated beef tripe and thin sliced whatever spiced pigs ears.

Life is good. Honey just came in and gave me a smooch while I'm typing this.

Time for bed. ;)

Adoeh !! Anda miskin. (<= poor you :clown: )

Pepes Ikan Mas - Farah Quinn [Ala Chef] #Resep - YouTube

Pepes ikan

OK, I finally watched the video (my earlier replies were from my daughter's tablet which (I am happy to report) has some issues with videos. It looks delicious. There is something about banana leaf... I suppose I should climb down a bit and say that steamed fish wrapped in leaf or parchment can be pretty good, especially if there are lots of flavorful ingredients held next to the fish.

Then again, in Holland they eat whole pickled herrings on the sidewalk, so what do they know??

I've just come back from visiting my sister in Germany and I couldn't wait to get my teeth into one of these:
Fischbrötchen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've also brought back a few loaves of bread which does not need toasting to become edible like 99% of bread available in the UK.
When it comes to bread and cold meats to a german-born person the rest of the world is pretty much a culinary desert.

so what do they know??

Among other sea fish, herrings can host larvae.
A variety was the green herring, salted after the catch only, not frozen, and pickled for less than 24 hours before being taken out of the brine.
If an infected herring was cleaned unprofessionally, released larvae could crawl inside the flesh.
After consumption, the larvae rather not get brined by gastric acids and try to tunnel themselves through the intestinal tissue.

As only one out of so many herrings carries the larvae, the risk of catching a bug increases with the consumption rate, similar to Russian roulette.
For the final outcome, google Anisakiasis.
(sale of unfrozen green herring is prohibited by law for the last 45 years, dropped the Anisakiasis count to sporadic numbers in Japan and ceviche areas)

Says who, the Japanese are weird fugu eaters. :clown:

Last edited:
I've just come back from visiting my sister in Germany and I couldn't wait to get my teeth into one of these:
Fischbrötchen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've also brought back a few loaves of bread which does not need toasting to become edible like 99% of bread available in the UK.
When it comes to bread and cold meats to a german-born person the rest of the world is pretty much a culinary desert.
You haven't came down to Spain, have you? Talking about lomo, chorizo, salchichon, jamon serrano....

And on the bread side, you have pretty good ones in almost every shop. We eat a lot of bread, its a commoddity item here we bought daily. So if a shop's bread is not good enough, they'll make an effort to compete, people here discern pretty well good fresh bread from the dull industrial one. Said that, there are awesome "industrial" breads, but some others taste like plastic.

Attachments

• ca_a_de_lomo_bellota__capa_negra.jpg
    ca_a_de_lomo_bellota__capa_negra.jpg
    999.5 KB · Views: 67
  • chorizo_ib_rico_capa_negra.jpg
    chorizo_ib_rico_capa_negra.jpg
    942 KB · Views: 64
  • jamon_calidad.jpg
    jamon_calidad.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 70
  • SALCHICHON-IBERICO-EXTRA-detalle.jpg
    SALCHICHON-IBERICO-EXTRA-detalle.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 69
And on the bread side, you have pretty good ones in almost every shop.

What is called bread in one country is often very different from what is called bread in another... all good in their own right but different.

Density, amount of salt, kind of crust, cereals used, so many variables (among others) that make you feel that you'll never find something equal to your hometown bread anywhere else.