The "Elsinore Project" Thread

The cost of sending 19Kg will be worked out by Claus I am sure. If outside EU, you will need to handle your local customs and charges. I will be doing exactly the same thing here in Australia. If they ask me what it is I will say "just hobby parts." :D
Purifi uses a courier and the value will be disclosed on the customs documents, so long before they arrive in Australia the wheels will be put in to motion to charge you GST and the customs admin fee, this will be collected by the courier before they will release the package to you. It does not matter what the parts are for only what they cost. Plan on 15 to 20% of the cost of the drivers without VAT and you won't be surprised.

Their shipping for an amplifier board which weighed a kilo was expensive, I hope for your sake they are able to get a better deal on 19 Kg.

I'm only describing what happened to me lest anyone else get a rude shock.

Is this time sensitive Joe or do you know if they will honor this over the next few months, etc? Thanks a lot.

Good question. This is what Claus has asked me to pass on to the forum:

"...please be sure to communicate that price may change. It’s a pretty crazy sourcing situation with material costs, shipping etc. on the rise (unfortunately). Lead time may also vary so it’s a good idea to get orders in as early as possible."

Again, be sure to mention Elsinore Mk-6 "ULD" when ordering via sales@purifi-audio.com, to get the best price.

I am not surprised. These are tricky times, with difficult supply lines.

I am expecting the question to come:

Re the risk of placing order before I have completed the design?

So I have two things to say on that. One is that I am now looking to have the design down pat by around Xmas time and I don't expect any unseen issues. Two, I am putting my own money into it, so I must be confident.

I have talked to the company that was to new supply boxes, but they said no go before Xmas, and they will close down for summer holidays to January 17. We are thus looking into February to get them.

So I came up with an alternative plan. I will use my good ol' boxes and convert them. This is what they have been used for since they were Mk3 in the beginning. If I get the drivers before Xmas, then guess what I will be doing during Xmas?

This looks to be the earliest time to get the design finalised. As I have said, I do not expect the crossover changes to be major and fairly straightforward.

Purifi uses a courier and the value will be disclosed on the customs documents, so long before they arrive in Australia the wheels will be put in to motion to charge you GST and the customs admin fee, this will be collected by the courier... [etc]

Yep. When I get the details on my order, at every step I will pass on what the costs were. Being in Australia means that the freight cost will be the maximum. Most should pay a little less. But for sure, this is an expensive project. I told Purifi:

This will arguably be the most premier DIY speaker system in the world? :D

My order has just been placed.

Cheers, Joe

Count me in for a pair of Purified Elsinores. Would love to build a second set, and this time I’d like to CNC the boxes. Happy to coordinate with folks in the US

Joe, I am US based and would be interested in building out the Purifi driver version, as I already have the waveguide/tweeter set aside.

Not sure if there are any other US builders in the mix.

Regards,

Daniel

Looks like at least 3 US based builders. Wonder if we might be able to get a number of drivers to Madisound and see what they would do for us. Would be much easier than dealing with overseas purchases.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hey Pilk,

I recommend anything Meniscus if both parties can benefit. I have had nothing but great experiences with them.

I may be interested in your MFC drivers. I am going to be moving within the next couple of months so if things align, I believe my next speaker project will be a set of Elsinore's or Hamlets. I'll keep an eye open for your progress.

This is the order I gave verbatim:

Please send me a proforma invoice for order:

8 x PTT6-5W8-NFA-01

PTT6.5W08-NFA-01 - PURIFI (8 Ohm, Fs 39Hz, Xmax -/+ 5.9mm, 87.9dB)

If you copy and paste that, then you can be sure there will be no doubt about the identity of the driver. Also, they know that orders of eight and the mention of "ULD" projetc, ser are triple certain.

___

Re Hamlet "ULD" version, that remains to be seen. Let's get this beast off the ground first, and I am choosing my words carefully, it kind of seems likely based on the past. But no actual promise yet.

___

Re Madisound or other, I will leave that to you, I can only deal with Purifi directly and what others do is up to them. Be sure to copy and paste the above even if ordering from others, so the driver you get is the correct one.

___

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I got an invoice for the following drivers: 6.5W08-NFA-01
6.5" Ultra Low Distortion Woofer, shipping and handling is only a fraction of the amount Joe mentions: S&H 315.00 kr.
My total is: 19,513.75 kr., but my bank also askes a handling fee too. Not cheap at all, but I knew that. Now I am struggling with the tweeters, ordererd but not available. Strange times.
And I have a complette set of NX drivers waiting for use, I think of a NX Hamlet, but did not see, if there is a crossover for this kind of Hamlet.

good plywood is not necessarily dense. Dense is not an asset you are looking for. Light & stiff. is better than heavy at the same stiffness.

dave

I doubt this is true. Look at it this way. The pressure differential between inside and outside of an enclosure is not that large and fairly easy to contain, using bracing and stiff construction. The real problem are the reaction forces caused by cone acceleration and deceleration. Using an accelerometer, it can be demonstrated that the vibration caused by a 1 gram tweeter moving mass can be picked up at the rear panel of a well constructed cabinet. I did those experiments.

There is only one way to really get rid of these reaction forces, that is by balancing them out with an equal and opposite reaction force. A design like the Elsinore that has multiple woofers all pointing in the same direction is therefore not optimal in that respect.

The only thing that can now be done is to mitigate the movement caused by these reaction forces by placing as much mass as possible behind it.

Thus, the weight of the construction in case of the Elsinore has to be Maximized. When given the choice between two panels of equal stiffness but different weight, the heavier variety is the best.

Of course this might lower the frequencies with which the panels resonate, but if problematic that can be easily solved by bracing.

All the best, Paul

Yeah, pretty much similar to my thoughts as well. But a box of some sort will also be a necessary evil. I am definitely in the well-braced box camp. I have also noted that 'shaping' of materials also has a significant effect on ringing. Also, the front panel is the most important to get right, here vibrations are indistinguishable from the drivers. It is also why I prefer, when able to, to have the port at the rear and low down. My tuppence worth.

I have generally said not to use lighter materials than MDF. The Elsinores do not do well because of MDF, but in spite of it. This at least gives some freedom here for constructors and gets reasonable results. Longitudinal bracing was something I thought a long and hard about, being influenced by earlier work done by KEF and also for constructional ease. It does OK.

Last edited: