The "Elsinore Project" Thread

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Not sure the effects of increasing the length internally will end up having on the cabinet; although the Elsinores are designed as a bass-reflex, it is likely that there is some 1/4 wave resonance at play too.

While officially a BR, its aspect ratio does mean that it is actually an ML-TL. 12.5 cm additional line length may mean a bit different tuning needed. But likely swamped by the damping.

dave

Stiffness is an asset, adding weight is not.

dave

I quite agree now. Requires a sack barrow to move them!

Initial thoughts are that added weight could be good at preventing any slight movements - reaction mass to push against for the drivers. If the cabinet weighed the same amount as the cones, there could be a problem. Seems I've overdone it in the opposite direction.

While officially a BR, its aspect ratio does mean that it is actually an ML-TL. 12.5 cm additional line length may mean a bit different tuning needed. But likely swamped by the damping.

dave

Agree, and though tuning isn't on the cards for now, it will be addressed. Can always put something in the case of the cabinet to shorten it, but then the volume would be reduced.

Anyhow, as mentioned, wanted the tweeters at ear height. Probably should have just made a stand...

Here's a render of the bass port that's printing.

Strange hole at the base is for the 3 cables to run through (will be sealed). Lost enthusiasm to make a binding post panel. Also not sure where it should be as not sure of future listening room layout. Seemed a better solution than running the cables through the actual port.

Attachments

• Port.PNG
    Port.PNG
    125 KB · Views: 401
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
that there is some 1/4 wave resonance at play
When you have woofers distributed along the box length in the way I've shown below, the effect of each tends to stay in its own part of the space.. the same as if there were dividing panels in between them.

Although I couldn't get the (animated) simulation to show timing very well in this form, my intention in the first sim was to show the way the variations are spread evenly with 4 evenly distributed woofers, and they ignore the length of the box as they don't travel.

The second sim shows one woofer in the end of the box. As the wavelengths are short enough they can be seen to make their way down the line, making the length a part of their behaviour.

Attachments

• Peek 2021-03-31 14-04.gif
    Peek 2021-03-31 14-04.gif
    107.8 KB · Views: 373
  • Peek 2021-03-31 14-09.gif
    Peek 2021-03-31 14-09.gif
    104.6 KB · Views: 375
AllenB,

Thank you for sharing this, interesting. The animations work well enough to give an idea of what you explained. :)

Any reference text you can point me towards so that I can increase my knowledge on this? I have come across designs with multiple woofers in a single tall box and have wondered if the could have been improved by dividing the cabinet into separate sections. Looks like that is not necessary. I also listened to a 4 woofer tower (not the Elsinores) around 42 inches tall, and there was nothing bad about the bass response except perhaps a bit of emphasis in the mid bass (might be the room or other issues too).

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
The first thing you need to know is that a cone normally produces pressure, eg higher than the air around it, and this pressure difference causes it to move, and expand outward as the pressure relieves/equalises with its surrounds.

If you instead surround it with equal pressure (from the other drivers in the cabinet) then it has nothing to drive it to move or expand. The pressure just builds up on the spot.

soon will finish my my elsinores - as I understand impedance is 6ohm - so which one i should choose to connect to my valve tube amp 4 or 8 ohm ? or there is no difference?

Try both. There is no correct tap, but I would start with 8 Ohm and then 4 Ohm, but be sure to go back and forward several times before you settle on which. Let your ear decide. If they are the same, use 8R.

If you had the equipment, there is a test you could do, with a signal generator set to 1KHz, a dummy load valued 6R, and an oscilloscope. Using the onset of clipping viewed on the oscilloscope, the tap that has the highest voltage should be the better tap because it will produce a bit more power.

But there might be nothing in it, and maybe be close to being the same. So stick with listening and decide.

Update: Definitely making progress on the Hamlet design, finally.

On Monday we had a day with low wind and no rain. I had a fellow Elsinore owner, who has Mk5 and is now building Mk6, coming around for assistance as this is much better for a two-man team than on your own. A lot of equipment to move around. In fact, three speaker systems were measured that day over a 6-7 hour session.

The next step is the computer modelling and this has already started. When that is done, we will need to get the crossover parts to physically build it. I have the earlier Hamlet crossover, so it is hoped that all it needs is to be modified as not all parts need to be replaced.

So we are not far away from publishing the results here.

Cheers, Joe

This is awesome, I want to build one for a center channel, and was thinking I'd replace my bedroom speakers! The jerk that worked for me that i bought waveguides for, well he quit, fortunately, I did NOT give him the wave guide pair I just bought. So I will be building I think at least 3. So I'll need a single waveguide when the Hamlets are completed, and I'll build 3 of them.

This is awesome, I want to build one for a center channel, and was thinking I'd replace my bedroom speakers! The jerk that worked for me that i bought waveguides for, well he quit...

Yes, the Hamlets are near.

I am also working on something else related to the Elsinores and hope it works out. I think there is a number here that will approve and like it. But I will keep 'mum' until I know for sure. :D

no matter how much i want to built curved stacked box for Elsinore, i just can not start cutting the wood. too much risk that i consider

i will use bb/cc plywood with 18 & 6 mm combination, is there any cutting plan that i can use as reference? so i can estimate how many sheet i should order

i have some hesitations about parameter matching of my driver to datasheet
i broke up one driver for about 20 min at 25hz and gave to measure parameters - and cant understand do they ok or not and can i use them in my project
sb17nrx -uc Loudspeaker parameters:

Fs = 42.34 Hz
Re = 5.60 ohms[dc]
Le = 59.01 uH
L2 = 715.50 uH
R2 = 3.96 ohms
Qt = 0.40
Qes = 0.43
Qms = 6.63
Mms = 12.66 grams
Rms = 0.508207 kg/s
Cms = 0.001117 m/N