The "Elsinore Project" Thread

Joe, I may use my future Elsinores with a multiple sub system, is it possible to build them as closed boxes to reduce box size? I guess the lcr for the impedance hump need to be redesigned?

This has come up a few times and the answer is simple. Don't change the Elsinores and bring in the subs below 30 Hertz. It works very well and if you know what you are doing, it is not hard to do and should be easier than say 80 Hertz.

I was actually going to try this myself with a pair of SVS SB3000 subs. I have heard good things about it and the software they have inbuilt and via app, makes it very straight forward to work. I might still try this for myself in 2021.

So as I understand it the dimensions of the Hamlet is pretty set and just waiting on final xover design? If I can get the wood working started I think I'll plan for the center box.

That's pretty much right. Right now I am getting up on with the work I have here, not going on any holidays. When that is done, I will finish the Hamlets and other speaker work and do some writing. I hope not to take on any new work until the end of January or February - only what is here and get that done. Then maybe go for a small trip sometime in February when all the kids are back in school and it's still summer, but much more quiet, go up the coast to a place called Nelson Bay. There is another unknown but so far that situation looks improved.

Right now I have been asked to write an article about the European Triode Festival 2006 (ETF06), which celebrated the 100th Anniversary of the invention the Triode by Lee de Forest. To mark that event, Tim de Paravicini gave a presentation that I shot on a Sony HDV camera. I'll put that together that article this weekend.

The Hamlets will be based on the SB17MFC driver and it will be called Hamlet Mark 6 (MFC). This will indicate that they are of the same generation as Mark 8 Elsinores.

Last edited:
My guess is that he will do whatever you want in a cabinet for the right price. If you get to that point where it's a serious consideration - contact him: it never hurts to ask. :)

Steve is doing this build for another guy. Baffle width is perfect and volume can be adjusted to suit the ELS. SMJ Audio TTC style Ardent D Build

This one might ding my wallet a bit.

And the disadvantages of an extra resonance, more cost,harder to source, and given the box size, totally unnecessary.

dave

Hi Dave

A slightly off topic question, but it seems that you might know something about this. I note that certain drivers a la Lowther have short voice coils usually in a gap length around 5-6mm and they only overhang 1mm front and back. This makes the voice coil rather short, around 7mm long, and limited to 2mm peak-to-peak linear excursion. Assuming an 8 Ohm driver, are the voice coils wound as two layers or four layers? For obvious reasons, it has to be an even number. Any idea? I was thinking something like a Lowther DX2 or DX3 - and others too.

Hi Joe. Just transferred funds for a pair of waveguides. I have a set of peerless 830875 drivers for a mark5 elsinore speaker set. Looking forward to them . Have a Happy New Year and I hope it finds you well.

Thanks, will post next time I get to the post office. We are 12 hours away from 2021 here. Normally Sydney Harbour and surrounds will have a couple of millions watching the fireworks. Most will be watching on TV and very few live. That sums of the year it has been. I just hope my American friends survive, so far I haven't lost any who I know. I fear that the next three months will be the worst there, more than anywhere else, until the vaccines take hold and things get turned around.

Keep safe, all of you! Take all precautions, please.

Hello everyone,

I wish you a healthy and successful new year ... for 2021 only the best.
I am following this thread with great interest and have read all the pages.
Since the English language is not my forte, I have to live with the translation function. This means that the relationships are not always 100% understandable.
So I have two questions.
1. Is it correctly understood that the resistor 6R8 and the capacitors 0.47uF (red) over the tweeter can only be used optionally with a tube amplifier? or should these always be used?
2. Have the findings of the pipe lengths of the bass port changed or are the dimensions quoted several times still up to date? Since there was also a recommendation for an extension. I would have an inside diameter of 85.5mm and would I go to 75mm?

I thank you for your help.
best regards Steff