The diyAudio Firstwatt F6

Anyone know if a .51 ohm source resistor will make more of a sonic difference than a .56 ohm resistor?

thanks,

Vince

According to my sim at .57 and .47 I get 2nd at -65db and 3rd at -81db (1W peak 8 ohms 1 khz sine)). With .51 and .47 I get 2nd at -72 db and 3rd at -81 db (1W peak 8 ohms 1 khz sine), 1st harmonic at +5 db for both. So reduction of 7db in 2nd harmonic, no change in 3rd.

F6 outputs are out of stock in the DIY audio store. Can you use the output devices from a DIY Aleph J?

If you wanted to buy matched sets of IRFP240's, how would you spec that you wanted them matched?

Although I purchased matched IRFP240s because they were offered in an advert on DIY Audio

It's not really required

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    671.6 KB · Views: 639
Joined 2000
Paid Member
F6 Bias

Hi Guys and Girls,

Question about amount of bias.

I started out at .50 across the .47 ohm R2 source resistor. Moved up to .60, then .63v. After hours of being on, the amp heat sinks (HS) are very warm, but not hot. Can keep my hand on the heat sink indefinitely.

Any point in going higher with the bias?

When measuring the mosfets temp, do you take the temp from the plastic body or the metal tab? I would think the metal tab approach would be dangerous, if used at all.

I have a DDM temp probe and laser thermometer. I believe the laser thermometer would be less accurate, but helpful from a safety stand point.
I read here that a laser probe doesn't work well on shine objects, so might not help with the metal tab temp.

BTW- I used a thin-film type isolator. It's very much like the pink stuff in the store, just not as spongy. It's probably not as efficient as the pink stuff, but I doubt it's the reason for the low HS temp.

The pic shows the rectifiers using the amber thin-film isolators and the HS are anodized black.

The power supply voltage is dead nuts on.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Vince

Attachments

• F6M_03.jpg
    F6M_03.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 485