The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Mark: Are you planning on a slightly more "formalized" means of getting everybody's gear auditioned?

At last year's (and the year before), there were some projects that never made it to the main system, and once the raffle/giveaway started, the auditioning sort of dissolved.......

Perhaps a staging area for amps/speakers with some thought of what works best with what (ie. SETs+fullrangers, etc) with times and room assignments, etc. Or maybe a quick overview of the design then 3 songs per setup, etc etc.

With multiple rooms maybe a flea power room, a SS/multi-way room, etc. with rotating (or dedicated if you have enough) sources.

Just throwing out ideas.........

You hit the nail on the head.

I changed us to this venue and building because of the problems you mentioned.

We will have:

-a presentation room which accommodates 100 people. That way there will not be a bar in the same room as the presentations-no clanking and shouting.

-A Hospitality room. Lots of clanking and shouting, with drinks and food and tables to sit around. Green's restaurant is about 100 feet away, and an unlimited number of restaurants if you want to go a bit further!

-Small Listening room. Good for small speakers and flea-amps.

-3 Large listening rooms. We will have a system on each end of the room, with various components to swap in, and yes, we will try to clump similar items together. Probably have one dedicated to mostly Pass clones and variations, an one multi-way and one more full-range.

How structured it needs to be in advance will have to be studied, but the listening time will probably be 10 times more efficient, as When one system is having a component or two swapped out, you can be listening to the system on the other side. Or just walk to another room, like an audio show..

Mark

You hit the nail on the head.

I changed us to this venue and building because of the problems you mentioned.

We will have:

-a presentation room which accommodates 100 people. That way there will not be a bar in the same room as the presentations-no clanking and shouting.

-A Hospitality room. Lots of clanking and shouting, with drinks and food and tables to sit around. Green's restaurant is about 100 feet away, and an unlimited number of restaurants if you want to go a bit further!

-Small Listening room. Good for small speakers and flea-amps.

-3 Large listening rooms. We will have a system on each end of the room, with various components to swap in, and yes, we will try to clump similar items together. Probably have one dedicated to mostly Pass clones and variations, an one multi-way and one more full-range.

How structured it needs to be in advance will have to be studied, but the listening time will probably be 10 times more efficient, as When one system is having a component or two swapped out, you can be listening to the system on the other side. Or just walk to another room, like an audio show..

Mark

Great! Sounds excellent, and I'd be happy to help out if needed. I'm planning on bringing a carload of the surplus M&K speaker & sub enclosures to donate to the raffle/give-away, assuming you're still having that also.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
GREAT! Yeah, maybe its better for you volunteers to all mention that you are interested by posting here now.

I mean the ones that haven't yet! Early volunteers get the best jobs. One of the most necessary is a "marshal" for each listening room to make sure that everyone gets to rotate in their stuff. Of course during presentations they are free to go listen, and maybe we can rotate them between the rooms to keep it interesting...

Mark

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Mark,

I make sure I have some goodies for the raffle - I'll pump Elektor and AudioXpress ;-)

I also bring a bunch of Linear Audio Vol 0 bookzines to raffle off. Maybe also get some sponsors for lunch even !!

As a project I will bring a couple of monoblocks and a wireless preamp to set levels at the remote monoblocks and such.

jan didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Ok,guys,
Jan should be an inspiration to you all! ;)
As a reward I'm gonna let him stay in our guest room in S.F.

I have a copy of Linear Audio 1v0 and it is awesome! All meat and no fat! We should support him. Jan, bring a bunch of copies to sell also-We can get you a table..

Mark

I can even do better! In the Oct Elektor issue, there is a Doug Self design for a power amp consisting of 32 parallel NE5532 dual opamps!

See here: The 5532 OpAmplifier, part 1 - ELEKTOR.com | Electronics: Microcontrollers Embedded Audio Digital Analogue Test Measurement

I'll be bringing a stereo version to BA for demo and prying eyes!

jan didden

Last edited:
Couldn't resist. :clown:
(No Way on the cheap PS caps)

Attachments

• OpyourSelf.jpg
    OpyourSelf.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 577
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.