The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you Mark and team. You did a great job with BAF 2009.

Auditioning is always difficult, if not impossible, in this kind of setting. People's bodies absorb a huge amount of treble energy. Good concert halls take that into account, yacht club buildings generally do not.

The biggest benefit was being able to meet people, to hear about their work, and to see some of the interesting details in each design. The inspiration from a shared interest and shared wisdom goes a long way.

Thanks Mark, Christian, Natasja, and everyone else who kept the cogs turning. This was my first BAF and certainly not my last.

I'm wondering if we can design a sound system that keeps the treble above the heads of the audience? I'm thinking about designing a "Hedlund" style horn with the speaker located 5 feet above the floor--I'd have an extension to lower the driver to the "proper" listening location when listening at home.

I felt a tremendous kinship to my fellow DIY buddies. Everyone of us "belonged" that day. Meeting Nelson was like seeing a long lost friend for the first time in years. What a gentle soul.

Mark, you're the salt-of-the-earth too. I felt quite at ease around you.

To everyone else, your spirits and smiles made the long drive from Portland, OR worth while.

Best,

John

I didn't care for the feastrex at all...

That's strange. Ellen and I were sitting off axis, so perhaps we heard differently. Ellen absolutely fell in love with the sound of the Feastrex and the J2. Nelson has the "bar" elevated so high that I'll be hard pressed to impress Ellen in the future with my stuff.

It'll just make me work that much harder. :)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
That's strange. Ellen and I were sitting off axis, so perhaps we heard differently. Ellen absolutely fell in love with the sound of the Feastrex and the J2. Nelson has the "bar" elevated so high that I'll be hard pressed to impress Ellen in the future with my stuff.

It'll just make me work that much harder. :)

oh boy ..... I just can't resist .......

luckily - you have just right "bar" , so it doesn't really matter how high is elevated .....

:rofl:

:cheers:

edit: but you really must work hard , to preserve that situation ......

Joined 2006
Paid Member
The enthusiasm was genuine there. Anyone is my brother of dysfunction who wants to listen to the same track all day with different equipment.
Its good to have met Mark, Wirewiggler, Carpenter and Grufti, and others who i cant immediately recall.
Also Colin and couz. I lent them a hand in building the BOBs.

Thanks

To everyone for a fun time. My friend Ray and I both enjoyed the sights and sounds and meeting everyone.

I'm sure others focussed on the gear, so we took a couple of pix of people who attended...

Thanks again!

-Chas

Attachments

• Passes.JPG
    Passes.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 448
  • turnout.JPG
    turnout.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 437
  • turnout2.JPG
    turnout2.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Like last year the free stuff give-a-way was in the shop area. Lot of tables of stuff, but it didn't start 'till 4 , as scheduled.. I'll try to find some photos...

Thanks to NHT generously donating 5 pairs of their older speakers (they were the original "test mules" for the model but with the signature glossy black paint and many many crossover parts, caps, filters terminals, over 100 drivers- massive subs, many many mids.. we had a great time giving stuff away. Another Nelson - nbrock, helped with the giveaway -thanks.

Remember those who got swag- DON'T call NHT or Jack Hidley for info or support- you're on your own!

Yes, other attendees also brought stuff- heatsinks, old magnaplanars, drivers, etc.
Thanks John, bring 'em next year!

:)

Mark

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I wish that I would have known that Variac. I was told that the stuff on that table was to be sold, so I did not want to confuse things. Just a misunderstanding.

Actually you are right. But the charge was minimal. One of our big problems is encouraging peple to take what they need from the parts tables, but not to just run off with the whole box! So this is our solution: The parts smorgasbord. We sold a one quart baggie for $1 and a gallon baggie for $3 I think. People could circle the table filling their baggie then get another. It worked well and actually everyone was very polite.

IT is interesting that when something is free people will take it, but when it costs a buck they seem to think about whether they need it..

Attachments

• DSC_0422.JPG
    DSC_0422.JPG
    479.7 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
This show it was such a great mix of audio professionals and diyers. From business it was who is who in audio, Linkwitz, Pass, Curl, Jack Hidley, Alex RAAl, Jan Didden, John Hall - CEO from Linear Audio, Lowtar and Feastrex audio distributors... just to name what I remember. I was particularly happy to see guys from Linear audio with their jFets that they gave away as samples. It was their CEO, together with main engineers and sales team! They also announced their new P channel jFets that everyone was asking for. Kirk, their main engineer has designed specially for the show a small jFet amp.
If I would outline one thing about Burning Amp it is that relaxed and happy coexistence of business and diy community, tube and solid state guys, analog and digital...

Attachments

• C65T9953.jpg
    C65T9953.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 416
  • M.Linkwitz-and-Jan-Diden.jpg
    M.Linkwitz-and-Jan-Diden.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 386
Last edited by a moderator:
Here we have a DreamTeam assembling Nelson's open baffle speakers: Nelson, Colin, Lowtar distributor (sorry do not know the name, so someone please correct me) holding on Feastrex ( ?) and Alex RAAL. Another picture are my two favorite tube geniuses: Doug and Kent. Doug is the guy that had that 6550 amp that I was raving previous years and Kent had these awesome speakers that I enjoyed the most this BAF. They sounded so great, outside in open. Such a relaxing sound. In the background you could see an outstanding chip amp so cleverly packed in power resistor. Great idea from Brock family.

Attachments

• Nelsons-Open-Baffle-assembly.jpg
    Nelsons-Open-Baffle-assembly.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 276
  • Dougs-tubes.jpg
    Dougs-tubes.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 297
  • Kents-beauties.jpg
    Kents-beauties.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Nelson's new amp, preparation for the presentation and gear used for Nelson's presentation: Computer and e-mu audio interface, Solaja Audio Preamp, F5, Nelson's analog crossover and his new minimalist amp.

Attachments

• Nelsons-new-minimalistic-amp.jpg
    Nelsons-new-minimalistic-amp.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 289
  • Assembly.jpg
    Assembly.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 267
  • Gear.jpg
    Gear.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 267
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.