The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
the NCDIY folks announced their meeting here after we announced ours, but possibly they had already planned their event. I don't know. But we should BOTH work to avoid this sort of near disaster..

HiFi Zen: I will look forward to getting together- don't let me forget! but for a week at least I will be ONLY focusing on my sadly neglected work life!!!

Possibly , if it is OK with the Twisted Pear guys you could borrow it if you kept it in your posession..

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
here is the Twisted Pear Opus DAC being run through its paces with the laptop They are on the table right behind my hand.

Attachments

• bib.jpg
    bib.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 446
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Variac - Regarding future S.F. Burning Amp events vs. other conflicting meetings and shows (such as RMAF - CEDA - etc).

The recent Burning Amp event held in S.F. looks as if it was great fun all that attended and for others to admire from afar. :D :D :D It has inspired me to see what sort of gathering can be put together here in the South East, and I am sure that many others are thinking along the same lines in their respective geographical areas. :idea:

The when, where, and "how to" of planning such an event becomes complex when factoring in potential scheduling conflicts with other events :xeye: and could lead to some proposed gala's being doomed to failure before they even get out of the planning stage. :dice:

I suggest the creation of a new section that would contain a listing of dates, location, and contacts for events, and perhaps a wiki for the "how to" plan and host such an event (and volunteer my time to help with such a project). :cool:

Any Thoughts?

BTW - FWIW - I suggest other events create their own unique name - perhaps pertaining to where or when they occur. This would help people from saying things like I'm going to Burning Amp - but I'm not sure WHICH Burning AMP!!!

Hey, back online again. Thanks to all the participants; the success of this get-together was astonishing, and the creative energy and the (metaphorical) flying sparks from so many talented and enthusiastic people is what made it so, and made it so worth while.

In answer to several email and on-line inquiries, I'm writing up and article on the ImPasse preamp, which I should have done shortly after I get back home in early November. I'm not sure where it will end up, but it will end up somewhere. I do want to look at a version suitable for driving a single-ended load before I do the write-up, so it will be a few days in the lab, this time without anatech's invaluable help...

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
janneman said:

Aren't we all in our own peculiar ways ;)

Jan Didden

yup .

but...... you know that respond to your post , in fact , doesn't have anything with you ,or your nutzinessssssss ........

more with mine :clown: and my likings and non-likings

blablabla

somewhat related with never organized pol ....... in one of "my" hysteric threads ..... "who's biggest (old) fart on DiyA" .....

but I'm really trying to be a good boy........

Sy: " ... Thanks to all the participants; the success of this get-together was astonishing, and the creative energy and the (metaphorical) flying sparks from so many talented and enthusiastic people is what made it so, and made it so worth while. ..."

Well, the little wifey and I had a great time and will attend again (and again)...

Thanks to all ... :D

" ... The coffees was Peet's - The best IMHO... "

Yes, better than GackDonalds' or StarGoodLuck's ...

" ... My boat is an Olson 30. ..."

Mine is an Erickson 27 = about 6K pounds ... Not too fast, but great on this Bay in a stiff breeze ... we keep her in Sausalito. (Speaking of which, her new bottom job should be done today ... :D )

Variac said:
the NCDIY folks announced their meeting here after we announced ours, but possibly they had already planned their event. I don't know. But we should BOTH work to avoid this sort of near disaster..

As far as I could tell, nobody in the NCDIY group was even aware of Burning Amp. I told several of them about it, one (who lives on the Peninsula) managed to make to to both.

I'm glad I got to both, but given the choice there's no doubt I'd have been in San Francisco!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi SY,
You have connectivity! Fab! Was the withdrawal really that bad? ;)

I believe the preamp as constructed would drive a single ended amp just fine. Simply use one phase only. A switch would allow people to select inverting or absolute, depending on the album or CD selected. :devilr:

So, your flight was okay (and train plus *other*)?

As for your "projects" while I was there. No sweat. I was busy and felt useful, so I did have a good time. I would like to avoid working on stuff the day of the show. I missed most of it this year, but at least I met a number of people. So that was cool.

I wonder if Colin might have a project ready for next year???? :cool: Do you think Nelson could talk him into it?

As far as other DIY shows are concerned, I know how our members must feel. My thoughts are that the SF meet was the right place. I say this as a guy who had a 5 hour flight. Jan (and Magura I'm sure) spent 9 hours in the air plus a layover. I would love to have a Toronto meet, but the power seems to be in the SF area. I guess I'm saying that smaller meets would be great, but I don't think SF could be replaced easily and have the same level of success.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.