The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Variac,
That coffee from Peet's was great. Loved it. Quite frankly, it was the best show coffee I'd ever had. That stuff can be pretty grim (I drink mine black).
Looks like you enjoyed it- there was little left...
Huh??! It was all gone! I went for a cup and got exactly one drop. You have no idea how sad it is to see a dry cup with a solitary drop of coffee at the bottom. More next time - please????

SY's success at holding me to his bench was no doubt the excellent coffee he makes. I have no idea what brand it was, but it was good as well.

-Chris

Thanks Chris, you're welcome at my bench, if you could find any clear space on the top (yes, it's one of those benches). BTW, I've been thinking about uses for the Lovotech JFETs I got from Nelson, and an apropriately screwy project came to mind - a transformer coupled JFET/Mosfet single-ended power amp. Iron on top, all the other works below. It may or may not sound decent, but it sure would have people scratching their heads.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi wrenchone,
BTW, I've been thinking about uses for the Lovotech JFETs I got from Nelson
I didn't get any, I held off so our members could get what they needed. However, now that I've seen exactly what they are, I am thinking of uses myself. They look like a fascinating little device. I need to buy some to play with.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi wrenchone,
The only thing that would make me unhappy would be to see some of this stuff on Ebay instead of inside a project. As long as that doesn't happen, I'm good. Besides, Nelson's intent was to get people building - not selling!

So, congrats on getting some of those beasties. I know you will have some fun with them.

-Chris

LousyMusician--Ping!

I have read the Burning Amp thread, and that got me excited about the Hemp Metronomes that LousyMusician brought.
But after spending two hours reading the other threads, I still don't know what were the measurements, and final mods he did to his Hemp/Met. speakers. Did I miss it somewhere?
Also, what is he using for home amps? He or someone said he was using separate amps for the speakers (monoblocks?). And I thought there was a change in the drivers (by the company) since he bought his last spring. Finally, no one has compared the Hemps to a similar Fostex, which would be a good comparison, as the Fostex would be considerably cheaper.
Thanks for any clues!
Zen and the Art of the Single Driver...:0)
Lyndon
Salt Lake City

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Zen Mod said:

yup .

but...... you know that respond to your post , in fact , doesn't have anything with you ,or your nutzinessssssss ........

more with mine :clown: and my likings and non-likings

blablabla

somewhat related with never organized pol ....... in one of "my" hysteric threads ..... "who's biggest (old) fart on DiyA" .....

but I'm really trying to be a good boy........

Well, your nutziness doesn't stop yuo from building great preamps, so it can't be all that bad ;)

Jan Didden

Re: LousyMusician--Ping!

LuckyLyndy said:
I have read the Burning Amp thread, and that got me excited about the Hemp Metronomes that LousyMusician brought.
But after spending two hours reading the other threads, I still don't know what were the measurements, and final mods he did to his Hemp/Met. speakers. Did I miss it somewhere?
Also, what is he using for home amps? He or someone said he was using separate amps for the speakers (monoblocks?). And I thought there was a change in the drivers (by the company) since he bought his last spring. Finally, no one has compared the Hemps to a similar Fostex, which would be a good comparison, as the Fostex would be considerably cheaper.
Thanks for any clues!
Lyndon
Salt Lake City

I was at The Burning Amp Festival and had a chance to speak to LousyMusician, because I was so taken by his Hempcone 8FR Metronome speakers. He had tested and measured his Metronomes at the Northern California DIY gathering the day before. He said he was using Baffle Step Correction that lowered the overall efficiency from 95db to 93dB, and that the high frequency 3-6dB roll off occured around 16kHz. That was a bit surprising as I thought the sound was flat to something higher, because the highs were that sweet and clean. The low end rolled off around 40-45Hz, and that was in a less-than-optimal large room. LousyMusician told me to contact A. Brown Soun for the Hempcone drivers (http://www.hemptonespeakers.com/. He told me the specific drivers he used have been discontinued and replaced by another Hemptone FR 8" driver, but the new driver's specifications could still be used to properly design a hemp driver Metronome. He also mentioned that it took a good amount of time to break in the Hempcone drivers before the sound became palpable. Unfortunately, I didn't get around to asking him about his beautiful woodwork. The seams were so tight, it looked like a furniture maker made the cabinets. The finish was a natural-look satin surface--very, very nice. I had heard good things about hemp drivers, and my listening experience with LousyMusician's Metronomes and Louis Chochos' Omega's Max Hemps confirmed to me that the hemp drivers are smoother, less peaky than paper or banana pulp drivers, and just as good as other full range drivers at presenting that big soundstage with a level of tonal balance and immediacy that crossover-less designs are noted for. In other words, spend the extra bucks and get hemp drivers for your next full range driver project, especially, if it's a Metronome.

At the show, LousyMusician had his Tube Lab Simple SE with EL34 power tubes (liked the retro-brewed inverted roasting pan chassis) driving the speakers at first. This was a very musical match that I would be happy with in my own home. Next, a WE417a linestage (based on Euriduce linestage design featured in Sound Practice magazine), Moscode Super IT phonostage and Rega turntable were added to bring in an analog source, and the system went to another level. I had to leave for about 30 minutes for a break. When I came back, the guys had a beautiful single-ended 6550 amp with those nice James output transformers from Taiwan driving the Metronomes. That was a sweet system with Muddy Waters playing in the room. LousyMusician was tickled that everyone loved his speakers. A Half Nelson solid state power amp was also tried. I just caught a little bit of that one, and I thought it sounded decent at lower volume levels. Basically, these speakers mated well to a range of amplifiers. To my ears, this design was probably the most versatile in terms of room placement, ease of load, and overall musicality compared to the other speakers at I heard at The Burning Amp Festival.

FastEddy: Excellent photos of the event.

Attachments

• dscn0194.jpg
    dscn0194.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 393
Wow!
Rich,
Thanks so much for the detailed information!
That was a big help!
I thought that LousyMusician had augmented the bass with an active subwoofer for his home use, but perhaps I was wrong.
I also think that Dave and ScottMoose have a Metronome table where one could use a Fostex driver as well as the HempTones, as the Hempies are double the price!
Also, I am a bit fearful of the whizzer cone...
In the best Exorcist voice over, after Father Damien Karras has thrown the false holy water on the girl...
"Fear the Whizzer Cones, Fear the Whizzer Cones"
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Re: lousymusician....Metronomes...

LuckyLyndy said:
Thanks for any clues!
Lyndon
Salt Lake City

Nanook said:
what dimensions did you make yours. I've read that they are excellent, but didn't find any info hee...so...

any help for the Mets with HA FR8c drivers would be appreciated.

stew

Hey, you can just ask me directly! I've posted most of this in various threads (esp. the Metronome home thread, which is where future responses should go, and where I have posted an FR plot), but to sum up:

The basic info for the Met's is on
this page.. Those are mine again, flanking Richard Thompson on the TV.

The dimensions are on the Metronome Variations Tables. Mine are built to the dimensions for the original FR8. There is a new set of dimensions listed for the FR8C.

See post 732 of this thread for the FR plot from teh Nor Cal DIY meet.

Potential builders will want to look at the specs of the newer drivers before commiting - a couple of recent threads indicate that the HF response may be significantly hotter than that of the older HA driver.

I have a 1 mH inductor || 9 Ohm (IIRC) resistor to flatten the highs out. I tried paralleling a 1 uf cap to try to restore the very top end, but really didn't hear much difference. There's about 1/2 lb / ft^3 of polyfill in the upper 2/3 of the cabinet, held in place with a fine netting sock. No other bracing or damping was used.

I have driven them with the Tubelab Simple SE I brought to BA (a generous 5 WPC from EL34's in SE triode), as well as a highly modified Stereo 70, a 50 W Forte' solid state amp and a Panasonic HT receiver. The SE has the loosest bass, but the most natural mids. They live in an 11 x 14 den, so little power is required. For use with a sub a Met cabinet would be overkill, a smallish sealed box or an open baffle would probably serve.

I am (as rhing noted) very tickled by the attention the Mets have gotten, but I give all due credit to Scottmoose and planet10 for developing the design from Steve Cresswell's original idea. Those guys are the Iron Chefs, I just followed their recipe and added a little salt to taste!

Also, the Met's had the benefit of the three T's - tubes, transformers, and a turntable! There's a lot of synergy with the Hemps and tubes. In particular, I think that the transformer-coupled line stage that drove the Simple SE is probably pretty special. It would be very interesting to compare it to SYs balanced tube pre that premiered late in the evening - that made some beautiful music too.

Finally, my Met's have been playing for months now, and are fully broken in. They sounded quite harsh at first, and there were times during break in that I was ready to give up on them. It took a long time for them to smooth out. It was worth waiting. The Fostex BIB's we heard at BA had brand new drivers. I'm sure they will be completely different speakers in a few months!

enough threadjacking, let's get back to more general BA coverage. More Metronomania should go the the appropriate thread.

Bill

Hey, One Can't Just Ask You Directly

LousyMusician said:
Hey, you can just ask me directly!

Right... Bill, here you go:
Sorry! That user has specified that they do not wish to receive emails through this board. If you still wish to send an email to this user, please contact the administrator and they may be able to help.

And I did read for 3 hours all the threads. But Rich summed it up so nicely!
Glad you are happy with them, and I must have read about the subwoofer from the fellow in England. I'm sure those tube amps add some good color. If I try the Metronomes, I plan to use a rebuilt Eico
HF-81. Not as nice as the one pictured here!

No threadjacking here, as I think ANY gear that was used at the Burning Amp can be here, including Zen Mod's Pumpkin Preamp, and SY's preamp, both of which I am excited to hear more about.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.