The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

SLA battery wiring diagram

Hello, Can someone please provide a link or an image of the wiring diagram for SLA battery. I have done a lot of digging through this thread and can't find anything solid. Did a search and came up with some images but don't know if they are a reliable circuit. Thanks so much!

Hello, Can someone please provide a link or an image of the wiring diagram for SLA battery. I have done a lot of digging through this thread and can't find anything solid. Did a search and came up with some images but don't know if they are a reliable circuit. Thanks so much!

Battery to fuse to stuff that needs electricity. :D

It might be easier if you post a sketch of what you have so we could comment.

I will work on a sketch, right after I am done typing this. Basically I am trying to figure out how to wire the sla battery so I can charge it with my werker charger. My plan is to cut the alligator clips off the charger and solder in a 2.5mm plug. I am not going to be doing any solar panels, cigarette lighter or anything other than the power jack. From what I read it looks like I need a 15A inline fuse coming off the positive terminal going to the power jack.

From one of the wiring diagrams it has a relay off of the on off switch, is that necessary? Also there is a rocker switch coming off of the 12V power supply, I assume I don't need that if I am not doing solar panels.

Thanks

I'm not quite sure why you would need a relay unless it was part of a low voltage shutoff or to ensure that the solar panel isn't driving the amp without a battery connected too.

I think I used a 10A fuse but 15 will blow if there is a short.

As for charging and that wiring, do you plan to run the Boominator while charging? If not it is simply a matter of connecting like you said. I would look for a switching jack to mount in the boominator. It will disconnect the load when the 2.5mm plug is inserted.

I would include some sort of switch to disconnect the battery from the amp so you have some means of turning it off.

Boominator_Battery.jpg

Thanks for the info! I think I got what you are saying. I am going to modify this image to see if I have it all right. Here is the original file.

I would include some sort of switch to disconnect the battery from the amp so you have some means of turning it off.

I have the same LED Halo switches that are pictured in the boominator diagram. I am going to use one normally for the on off switch. Can I use this same switch to disconnect the battery from the amp or do I need a different switch all together?

Thanks again in advance for the expert answers.

Your diagram with the 9V battery looks like it is on the right path. There is devil in the details (like what jack you use and how you solder it). I would caution that charging battery and playing the boominator at the same time *could* cause problems. I don't think it is likely but there is a risk that the combination of charger, battery size, and amp could cause unpredictable charger termination results. Please be careful.

I am not familiar with the halo switches so I can't answer that question.

Do you have someone local who has a good understanding of basic wiring who could help you? There really isn't anything here that is specific or special to the Boominator and the details do matter and they can be tough to check on line.

I think you are on the right track. I didn't see a power switch In your diagram which is why I made that comment.

Please appreciate I am quite hesitant to give a definitive "that is good" answer because there are many ways to make a mistake and it is hard to confirm the details online. If you know someone who is handy and has a basic understanding of electricity (a mechanic for example) it might be good to have them look things over befor applying power.

So i finally finished my qubeinator, and battle tested it at Roskilde Festival 2015.

It played for about a week on a single ebay 12000mah 12v li-ion battery. Impressive.

It played loud enough for chilling in the camp. Until the neighbors fired up there 3m high monster soundsystem, then it couldn't keep up.

I'm thinking of upgrading it to a TK2050 amp and two v-lock batteries in serial for 30v operation. As a film maker i have these batteries lying around, and they are really good. Im a bit afraid that it might blast the drivers out, but lets see.

How would you guys wire the amp up? It has to be mono for the qubinator design. Would you parallel the inputs only, or both the inputs and outputs?
The drivers are two 8ohm full range drivers.

I can post some photos if anyone is interested.