The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Hello everyone!

Tested my half-finished boominator outside the other day and it's freaking AWESOME!

BUT! For some reason, just as I was on my way outside and did my last checks before leaving, the potentiometer on the Maxamp 20 stopped working. So I only had my phone to change the volume on.
The day before it was working fine. I didn't touch the boominator until I tested it just before I left.. So it died all by it self?
The connections and potentiometer it self is in perfect shape, all wired neatly soldered (bought it pre-soldered).

So my question is if you have any ideas what it could be? Is it more likely that the maxamp is broken or that the potentiometer is broken? Or maybe it could be something completely else? I'm feeling confused.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Pom

Alright, I have my Amp9, Piezos, and Woofers all in right now. Almost ready to start assembling, but I have a few questions first:

1. Do any speaker grills work or should I be using something specific?

2. What do I need to limit my bass sub 100hz? I read something about input caps, but I am seeing different numbers different places. This is for the Amp9B

3. How much FT of what kind of wire should I be ordering?

... and finally,

4. Does somebody have a list handy of various electronics.. caps, resistors that I might need? or stuff that most people miss when they start building.

So far the info I have is run Amp Channel -> Woofer -> Piezo with nothing in between. Then run a switch to the main power or the mute line. Replace input caps on amp9 with something else, and call it a day?

Thanks, I would read the thread 10 more times but I really want to get this ready for the summer ;)

Im about to build my boominator mini..
got everything ordered from accusafe - amp, filters, tweeters and everything..

my questions are - has anyone built a solarpowered mini?

would 2x5w built in modules do the trick or os an external 10w module be better?

what is the preferred place to order solar modules from atm? (im in Denmark)

Im about to build my boominator mini..
got everything ordered from accusafe - amp, filters, tweeters and everything..

my questions are - has anyone built a solarpowered mini?

would 2x5w built in modules do the trick or os an external 10w module be better?

what is the preferred place to order solar modules from atm? (im in Denmark)

A solar panel of that sizeis not going to fit "on" the boominator and you will find packaging any sort of battery management device is a challenge too. Have you considered building it without a panel and then maybe adding a separate one later? That way you could see if you really will need one for your listening habits.

So I'll double check here with my wiring diagram. But if I solder the wires onto the batteries, how will i charge them? Just add some kind of charging outlet on the top battery?
And will putting the voltmeter like this work?
And I read somewhere that a 10A fuse is reccomended but why, if it only pulls like 0.35A, wouldn't a 2A fuse work (I have a bunch lying around).
Sorry for asking (probably) stupid questions, my knowledge of electronics is very limited.

imgur: the simple image sharer

The fuse is there and must be there to protect own, and those around you's life and safety. Should something short circuit the batteries could heat up the wires and catch fire. Burning not just your boombox but potentially killing you as well if you have it in your tent while you're sleeping off last nexts binger.

Also please note that no insurance company in the world will cover any damage you may cause by not having a simple $1 fuse. A 10A in-line cable fuse meant for car audio is fine. Don't use 2A fuses unless you want to change it every time you turn up the volume. The average power consumption is 0.35A. But peaks may be up to 5A.

Boominator Mini V2 - Speaker grill options?

Anyone figured out a good option for a grill using the 12mm baffle? I can't find anything locally in a 4" driver cover that would mount OK from the inside of the baffle. Would a flat grill mounted immediately in front of the monacors limit their movement at all? - could just use aluminium insect screen or similar if that would be OK. Also thought about lots of complex routing options to recess a grill, but decided its not worth the effort.

I don't really fancy the computer grill look but its looking like the only feasible option at the moment. Great to have some suggestions.