The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Halfinator design

Hi guys. How do I calculate the ports and where to place them in my design to match the intended port function in the boominator design? I am planning to build a "standing" Halfinator as you can see in the attached link. There will be two ports on each side. I've tried to calculate the ports in WinISD, which says go for two ports (9cmx2cm) in a 24,4 liter box. But something tells me the two reflex ports should each be half of the original port's Area.
Any good suggestions? :)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i0t8ptkw8h13alk/GnycfIu0W0

Last edited:
Hi guys.

Was wondering how much power draw a relay would use.
I have very little space on the mini v2 for inputs/switches,etc.

If I were to use a potentiometer with a switch built in I could save some space.
However they seem to be rated for low power and may only be suitable to control a relay.

Thoughts? Waste of power or viable alternative?
A recommended relay?

Cheers

And I am assuming the maxamp requires a 10k linear mono pot..

Acctually, I have a 10K linear monopot wired to my Maxamp 20, the gain is set on high ("unmodded") and i can´t get it completely muted. I have a 20k and even a 50k on it´s way and will try them asap and hope one of them will let me adjust the volume from 0-100% and not 30-100% like im limited to today.

Of course it has to do with the gainsetting and how powerful the signal source is but in my case with a galaxy S4 and various mp3 players the 10K isn´t enough.

That's very strange actually, I have used dozens of MaxAmps with a 10K pot and they all mute fine with the pot fully turned down. If you want you could send me a private message to look where the problem lies.

Potmeter fully turned down or 0.9*Vdd equals fully muted.

Last edited:
Since my boominator i built last year got stolen, I'm gonna build a new and hopefully improved version! This time I'm planning to use a battery with around 60-70 aH instead of 24.

What amplifier would you recommend to make the boominator as loud as possible, without negatively affecting sound quality and battery life (compared to a 24 aH battery)? In my last setup i used the Lepai LP-2020A+

Hi guys.

Is there anyone who has experience with both the P.Audio PHT-407n and KSN1001A/MPT-001 piezo's, and could describe how they compare to each other?

I'm in the middle of my Boominator build (HP-10W and MPT-001), and wondering if the 407n's are worth the upgrade, while I am still able to make the switch.

Planning on playing through a passive filter until I eventually get a mini-DSP (could be a long time).

Thanks in advance!

Hi guys.

Is there anyone who has experience with both the P.Audio PHT-407n and KSN1001A/MPT-001 piezo's, and could describe how they compare to each other?

I'm in the middle of my Boominator build (HP-10W and MPT-001), and wondering if the 407n's are worth the upgrade, while I am still able to make the switch.

Planning on playing through a passive filter until I eventually get a mini-DSP (could be a long time).

Thanks in advance!

Hi
Ive not used piezos but I have used HP-10W and the 407n's with a passive filter and I'm really happy with the sound......

the filter is easy enough and you'll find diagrams of it on here using the search function.

BJ

USA P.Audio Order - Friday Cutoff

Folks,

Ed at Replacement Speakers Speaker Parts Replacement Diaphragms and Guitar Speakers will be placing an order this Friday for P.Audo drivers. Expected delivery is mid-July - pending normal boat, rail and customs uncertainties.

The prices are quite good - $280 USD per Boominator
HP10W - 39.99 each
PHT407N - 29.99 each

He has also confirmed with P.Audio that the SN10MB II is available at $109.99 each. Get your orders in while you can. They take PayPal.

Hi! at the moment im assembeling my box and I have 3 questions, greatfull for all help!

1. Ive now started glueing the box together with epoxy glue, is it smart to use some screws afterwards to make it even stronger? How do I screw to not make the playwood crack?

2. On the guide from Canopysound it says that I should glue the "woofer panels" on the bottompanel and then sqeeze down the bracerna. Why not glue the first woofer panel, then the bracerna and the the other woofer panel?

3. Do I just drill a hole in the walls of the electronic department for the cables from the woofers witch is going to the amp? and then fill it with fog?

Very thankfull for all the help, this is my first build as you may notice Pictures coming!