The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Thx for the Quick answer ! Been reading for some time now and i havent Come to a conclusion, and really want your opinion, would it sound Best whit the holes in the middel and then a box fixing mono, or solid and stereo ?

Holes and stereo actually sounds the best. It's advisable to use material where the content below 140hz-ish is mono but that would be standard in most mp3 files.

Yeah, much easier to live with the extra 6mm isn't?

Indeed it is. Had I known it from the start, I could have cut out the centerbraces from 6mm plywood, made them 27x39,3 and fitted the cut-out holes symmetrically.

That and some other adjustments would give me approx. an extra 0,53 litres.

But yeah, I'll settle for 30,6 cm in height, and consider it a learning experience. :)

Guess you can never plan these builds thoroughly enough to not be surprised and challenged by all kinds of details :rolleyes:

Last edited:
steveodude,
To glue the woofers, both on the center brace and the baffle with grills in between I recommend chemical metal. Remember to remove the rubber band on the grill.

I'm to the point on my Aura NS6 build where I need to glue the drivers. I just wanted to see if the comment above about removing the rubber band on the grill refers to the the rubber on the driver (so there is metal to wood bond) or is in reference to the protective grills.

I am hoping someone can shed some light for me about the differences between a bi+amped and regular Mini V2.

I have most of the parts now for the build so it would be great to know if I should be changing the 8 Ohm Monacors for the 4 Ohms.

I have my last boombox which was based on the same speakers as the Micro. (But 6 ltrs total and ported).

What would the Spl of the Mini V2 be like on one side in comparison to mine?

Or it may be easier to ask how would the Micro perform vs:
The Mini V2 regular
The Mini V2 bi-amp

Would really appreciate some input here as I am soon beyond the point of no return..

I understand that 2 times 8 Ohm is 4 Ohm but does that still mean each speaker is getting the same amount of watts or would that be halved as there are 4 speakers instead of 2?

Also I have 4 of these CMBs coming in the mail from Alibaba (we are making 3 minis and one spare incase I fry something) :

CV323 -CMB(charging management board) For 4S Lifepo4 battery pack, View lifepo4 charging management pcb, AYAA Product Details from Shenzhen Ayaa Technology Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

If anyone is interested I can run what ever tests you like as well as supply contact details for the supplier.
They are coming with the appropriate PSU and seem to me (a novice) that they will be a complete on board charging and management system.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Lutkeveld.

I think I have heard that 3db is the minimal change the can be heard by the human ear?
(At least as a noticeable change)

I guess it just shows why having sensitive speakers is so important.

But how would the Mini compare to a my old boombox in the sense I am driving 4 speakers instead of 2 with the same amplifier?

And say for example, spl out one side of the boombox. (So I can compare apples with apples)

(I understand Saturnus' bipolar system is more efficient but as a rough guide)

Cheers

Wow.

+6dB increase on EACH side of the Mini using the same amp (1 amplifier)?

So I am assuming a bi-amped Mini would be +9dB?

Awesome!
Though I may stick with a single amp Mini as my old Boombox still cranks and a +6dB would still be an amazing improvement.

Could I then assume that the fact it is bi-polar would mean the effective coverage at a given dB is also doubled as it has 360 degree coverage?

Thanks for your input.
Super excited.

Oh and just to clarify,
My old boombox is firing out just one side with the same speakers as the micro.

No. It does not.

To clarify. All speakers actually plays in all directions at the same time. It is only because of limited dispersion as frequencies gets higher and the speaker moves from seeing a 2pi environment to a 4pi environment that appears as if it doesn't. Technically the output level is just asymmetrical being lower on one side than the other. Bipolar speakers are symmetrical and has the same output level on both sides.

Last edited:
Sorry, a bit confused here.

I will re-word the question.

When I mention the micro in relation to my old boombox, I mean they both use 2 * SP-60 4 Ohm and the ND16FA tweeters. My boombox fires on one side. (6 ltr ported)

I understand the Micro is Bi-polar.

I am trying to gauge the performance of the regular Mini and the bi-amped Mini compared to my current boombox so as to decide if bi-amping is worth the battery hit.

So if I were standing on one side of the Mini, what sort of Spl difference would I expect over my old system? (Both the Mini and bi-amped Mini would be appreciated)

Thanks!

Holes and stereo actually sounds the best. It's advisable to use material where the content below 140hz-ish is mono but that would be standard in most mp3 files.

Okay i would never had guessed that!! Is this mono-thingy also a standard for youtube,spotify and other mobile sources (i am gonna be playing from a lot of different sources) ? i know the difference mainly is low in the bass area, but i am a little worried cuz i'm visualizing the speaker to operate very poorly with the woofers counterattacking each other :)

And then i also have to ask, i know its a discussed subject, (but i haven't found a satisfying answer yet). Is there anyone who have made the right calculation to put in a bass flex tube instead of the handles in the halfianator (i know its just a half boominator, and would work in both) but the handle becomes a little unhandy placed, and a little more unnecessary in the halfinator as you have half the weight.

Im surely wont mess with your design if it's a reduce in sound quality, but i have seen some variations with the flex but newer heard any :) and here is maybe a more important question, would you still recommend the halfinator to lay down while playing ?

Okay i would never had guessed that!! Is this mono-thingy also a standard for youtube,spotify and other mobile sources (i am gonna be playing from a lot of different sources) ?

If it's compressed codec and not FLAC or ALAC files chances are very high it's made with joint stereo encoding which makes it mono in the bass range.

i know the difference mainly is low in the bass area, but i am a little worried cuz i'm visualizing the speaker to operate very poorly with the woofers counterattacking each other :)

Surely you mean supporting each other?

... would you still recommend the halfinator to lay down while playing ?

Yes, and carried "standing up" which is why the handle is perfectly placed and perfectly sized already. No need to change it, and you shouldn't as it's supposed to be a slot port, not a round port. A round port will not work nearly as well, you'll have to make it a lot bigger which in turn means it has to be longer which in turn means you need to make the cabinet volume bigger... you see where this is going?

EDIT: Why carried "standing up"? Because the batteries and the center of gravity will then be at the bottom.

Last edited:
Thank you very much! and surely no flac from the streaming services :)

Surely you mean supporting each other?

I'm not totally sure if its supporting each other i meant (in my head its the opposite) , the scenario in my head is:
If they dont play the same thing, at some occasions the one side will "Woof" while the other rest, which would give a muddy sound because its frequency would be off (danish: svingningen fra den ene side, ødelægger svingningen i den anden side)