The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

I would not recommend it as that would mean you have stereo in the same bass reflex cabinet and that is not a good idea. Better to sacrifice a little on midrange reproduction. A halfinator will not sound even remotely as good as a Boominator anyways.

If it's purely for budget and portability issues then I recommend a Qubinator instead of a halfinator. It'll be roughly the same sound as a halfinator but in a smaller size and at a lower price.

what other pros and cons has the qubinator vs the halfinator?

Besides being lighter, smaller, cheaper, easier to build and having roughly the same performance?

but it can´t have the "rougly same performance", it uses the HP-10T which is a fullregister element, it is specified to 70.5Hz and compared to the 10W which has 48.43Hz it is a BIG difference. and the qubinator is a sealed enclosure which gives it less effectivity, especially in the low bass! a halfinator would have roughly the same performance as a standard boominator if you just count the sound (not loudness). I did some calculations yesterday and i think you will get around 2-3dB more on the standard boominator.
I will of course use piezos in the halfinator.

but it can´t have the "rougly same performance", it uses the HP-10T which is a fullregister element, it is specified to 70.5Hz and compared to the 10W which has 48.43Hz it is a BIG difference. and the qubinator is a sealed enclosure which gives it less effectivity, especially in the low bass! a halfinator would have roughly the same performance as a standard boominator if you just count the sound (not loudness). I did some calculations yesterday and i think you will get around 2-3dB more on the standard boominator.
I will of course use piezos in the halfinator.

Your calculations are wrong then. The difference is actually around -1.2dB average in sensitivity compared to a halfinator.

That is a completely inaudible difference.

Obviously you're also wrong about bass performance. They're pretty much the same as well.

Last edited:
Your calculations are wrong then. The difference is actually around -1.2dB average in sensitivity compared to a halfinator.

That is a completely inaudible difference.

Obviously you're also wrong about bass performance. They're pretty much the same as well.

what i meant was that the halfinator have the roughly same performance as the boominator, that just means the difference is even smaller.
And the Qubinator can´t have have that bass performance since it uses a fullregister element and a sealed enclosure, here is a swedish link with some facts about seled enclosure, less effectivity (most in low bass) Sluten låda

When the boominator has magnets touching, it seems that the pressure between the magnets is for cabinet stiffness, aka prettier bass. There's probably a bracing scheme that will work fine for Qubinator. Outdoors, we have to face the facts that a big warm boomy has the impact that will carry the distance but extra low bass extension will be lost. At this point is the bass harmonics, not the bass fundamental, that lets your hear the lowest notes. Cabinet stiffness, magnets touching (also for stiffness) and the birch plywood (louder harmonics) will give you the better quality bass harmonics.
We could also cheat a bit with this circuit:
HeadWize - Project: The Psychoacoustic Bass Enhancer by Jan Meier
At least it is a good briefing on tuning up the bass harmonics.
Radio stations use a similar technology (hidden in DSP) to dramatically increase broadcast range and overall loudness, which is possible when the transmitter doesn't also have the added workload of low bass fundamentals.

I have read allot of posts in this thread, but no I have not read all 3111 posts, that would take years.. And even if i did read it all, memorizing it all would not be easy to say the least.
Anyway, i was not aware that the HP10W's had been changed. I did wonder why the hole in the center of the center brace had disappeared. Doesn't this make the whole magnet to magnet idea useless, or is it still an advantage?

Sorry about the silly questions that have probably already been answered numerous times. :/

Amazing work on this design Saturnus, really outstanding!

2 quick questions - I've been building a boominator using the Goldwood GW1058s and I am wondering whether or not to reduce the cabinet dimensions so that the speaker magnets are firmly back to back? Since these woofers are less deep than the original HP10Ws, the volume of the box would need to be reduced, and I'm not sure if that is going to be better or worse?

Which will have the bigger impact in terms of bass definition - gluing the magnets back to back and making the box marginally smaller, or keeping the original box dimensions and leaving the gap between the speaker magnets?

Also, just a heads up - using the new Lepai TA2020A+ amp, it cuts power if the volume goes up over 60-70%. I'm wondering if this mean I'm overdriving it, or if it just lousy quality like the predecessors? I've double checked my wiring and specs, so I'm going to order the MUSE or the SMSL amp instead - Is one of the two clearly better?

(note, I'd go with the AMP6, but they are currently out of stock and I will need to complete the project quite soon, which will not allow time for transcontinental shipping, assembly, etc...)

Any insights? Thanks.

Which will have the bigger impact in terms of bass definition - gluing the magnets back to back and making the box marginally smaller, or keeping the original box dimensions and leaving the gap between the speaker magnets?

The only change you make with the GW1058 is adding a piece of wood of about the same size as the magnets to the center brace on both sides where the magnet goes.

That means a 12mm piece with a 120mm diameter. This is easiest made from the front baffle woofer cut-outs.

The MUSE and SMSL should be similar and far better than the Lepai. I really really can't recommend the Lepai.

So basically to line up the pros and cons:
It wont play nearly as loud as the boominator (8 ohm vs. 4 ohm).
Wont sound as good as the boominator.
But will be ALLOT more portable, and about half the price? I have calculated around 2.000,- dkr.

What about battery life? Do you think a 9800mAH battery will last a whole week at Roskilde? I dont know how to calculate this.

Also, what is the idea of making the center brace out of 3mm masonite and not 9mm ply?

What about battery life?
Do you think a 9800mAH battery will last a whole week at Roskilde?

No. A "9800mah" ebay battery is really only about 6.4Ah. So 32 hours battery life at max volume.

Also, what is the idea of making the center brace out of 3mm masonite and not 9mm ply?

There's no center brace.

But will be ALLOT more portable, and about half the price? I have calculated around 2.000,- dkr.

My calc says around DKK1500, so yeah a little lower than half.

There's no center brace.

Ok, so what exactly does the masonite do, why is it there?

We already have an Ion Block Rocker in our camp, it only lasts about 12h on battery, doesn't play that loud, and sound quality isn't amazing. Do you think the cube will be a big upgrade, or should i just go with the full on Boominator?

No. A "9800mah" ebay battery is really only about 6.4Ah. So 32 hours battery life at max volume.

Is there room for two of those batteries in it? They are not that expensive, and would make it last 64h.