The Blues.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
FastEddy said:
The 1st "Crossroads" DVD is two discs. The audio track on the DVD is 24bit/96k. Is this feed "Crossroads II"?

The 1st Crossroads concert was in Madison Square Garden with Sheryl Crow, Bob Dylan, Mary J Blige and a jazz saxophonist whose name escapes my mind. The 2-disc set was CR II set in Dallas. This feed is the 3rd of its kind...was live last night.

steenoe said:
want to add something

Steen,

the hookers i've met had Johns, i've never felt like finding out if one of them was a John.
Blues and me don't mix, i only stumbled on this thread because i'm bored.
(just plastered a wall and need to wait for it to dry before levelling it, look like a pig in heat and would have preferred a windy walk at the beach)

Your hair looks good.

FastEddy said:
" ... The 1st Crossroads concert was in Madison Square Garden with Sheryl Crow, Bob Dylan, Mary J Blige ... "

Too bad no one made a DVD ... :cannotbe:

This latest one (in Chicago, right?) ... Is there a promo for a DVD of this one? :cool:

Actually there's a DVD for the 1st - I have both 1 & 2 -there's one in Amazon used for $6.50. The 3rd (yes-Chicago) should come out pretty soon.

" ... Actually there's a DVD for the 1st - I have both 1 & 2 -there's one in Amazon used for $6.50. ... "

Got a link or an actual title? ... keyword "crossraods" not found except for festival #2 :confused: ...

Oops , never mind = found it! = "Benifit for the Crossroads ...", Right?

" ... Amazon.com notes that the DVD/video is 170 minutes in their review, yet it is only 108 minutes! More than an hour of music has been cut out by the manufacturers, including what I believed to be the highlights of the show. Gone are Eric Clapton's "My Father's Eyes", "Pilgrim", Sheryl Crow's "Run Baby Run", "Leaving Las Vegas", "If It Makes You Happy", and Bob Dylan's "Not Dark Yet", "Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat". Gone is the showstopping duet of between Dylan and Clapton of "Born In Time", a song Dylan wrote in 1991 that was covered by Clapton on his most recent album. ... I would have rathered to have selections that no other live recording is avaliable of, or even better, the entire concert. ... / ... A mixed bag. The other Clapton dvd's are probably better. Not a keeper but a good 1 off rental. ..." / Amazon Customer Reviews ... :rolleyes:

The "manufacturers", Warner, has never gotten Clapton or Dylan exactly right, and now show their short pants again ... also I read a review that this mix has been "jimmeyed" to be ported to 16 bit CD = compressed, botched, overly engineered and otherwise hosed up ...

"Blues": Would you like to take a stab at a review? Do you play it much compared to #2 ?? (I play #2 about twice a month, 'cause its real good listening as well as viewing.)

FastEddy said:
[B"Blues": Would you like to take a stab at a review? Do you play it much compared to #2 ?? (I play #2 about twice a month, 'cause its real good listening as well as viewing.) [/B]

"ERic Clapton and Friends in Concert - A Benefit for the Crossroads Centre at Antigua" is the title. I play it as much as #2 whenever I'm home. My old MF couldn't do justice to electric guitar so I make it a point to use either the Aleph 3 or Zv4j. Both bring out the body of the amplified strings along with extended highs without ear fatigue. The DVD has a choice between Dolby Digital, which should be 96kHz/24bits (5.1 -which sounded compressed in stereo speakers), and Stereo (probably 16 bits -RedBook) but still sounded very good overall. I really like this concert. I'm not aware which songs did not make it into the dvd but it's must be due to it being just a single disc.

The band was tight on almost all songs...some with Bob Dylan could be due to lack of playing time together and familiarity with the lyrics...with Bob missing some words on the song "Crossroads". Nathan East on bass -his timing was perfect; Steve Gadd on drums; Andy Fairweather-Low on guitar -complements Clapton all the time; David Sanborn on sax -passionately plays his instrument; Tim Carmon on keyboards -watch how he mimics Clapton's licks on "Old Love".

Here's a rough cut of "Old Love" in YouTube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-axOgiuo8Ec

Buy one and enjoy...

" "Unplugged" another tight crew ..." ... Clapton?

Actually I do have this one ... and the Bob Dylan one as well. These EmptyV "unplugged" videos are quite good, generally, with only a few complaints about sound quality or artist performances. :cool:

(Dylan's "Unplugged" performance is his usual = some good, some bad, some indifferent performances, all in the same set, on the same album. It is difficult to tell if his performance is affected by his a) dislike of the song, b) dislike of the audience, c) dislike of the venue, d) dislike of the audio quality, e) dislike of the backup band ... or the opposite in each case = he likes it ... anyway, one always has to listen to an entire Dylan set or album to get to the good stuff, such is the mix = it is possible to find the jewels, but pateince is required. My musician friends all love Dylan, even the bad performances, as they all "cover" something he has written and they are constantly looking for more to "cover". IMOP: about half of Dylan's music writing is good, about 1/4 of his performances are good, about 1/3 of his studio work is good, which puts him right up there at the top = most really good song writers write about 10 % good stuff.)

Re: RE: Post #105: Lamb's Mic

SigFire said:
Hi Steenoe,
... just in case nobody could help you with that question.
(I hope I didn't oversee that)
As far as it is recognizable to me:
1. The body most likely seems to be a customized Astatic JT-30 or a clone of it. (Definitely one of the older bodies or a copy of it, the later models had a Vol. Pot. which was arranged differently than with Paul's , the older ones had none and therefore are usually chosen for such mods.)
2. The Volumeknob seems to be from a Gibson Les Paul or similar.
That mod I saw first in connection with US-modder Fritz Hasenpusch. But since he's seems to promate the use of wooden bodies now, it's twofold improbable that this is one of his products.
http://www.harmonicamasterclass.com/vintage_collection.htm
3. Rumours told me a customizer which used to make such mods too -- plus the chroming: "Mics By Silvertone", but I could find no valid website with my search-engine.
4. A lot of customizers are around these days, even in the UK, I guess and in Germany, namely Olaf Prinz.
http://www.vintage-microphones.de/index.html
Maybe one of the european customizers did it -- maybe even Paul himself.
5. As to the Poti and Mic Capsule used: I'm at a loss, cause I simply have no X-Ray view. In case you'd wanted to know a thing or two more about it : www.jt-30.com.
Greez
Siggi K.

Wow, thanks a bunch Siggi. Lots of interesting info :)

Steen:cool:

jacco vermeulen said:

Steen,

the hookers i've met had Johns, i've never felt like finding out if one of them was a John.
Blues and me don't mix, i only stumbled on this thread because i'm bored.
(just plastered a wall and need to wait for it to dry before levelling it, look like a pig in heat and would have preferred a windy walk at the beach)

Your hair looks good.
Sorry to hear that Blues and you doesnt come along! Thanks for the hair comment, anyway:)

00600 said:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Unless you guys would classify it as "rock".

SRV, could pass along as Rock, but:!! his music is too strongly influenced by Blues:D Yeah, Stevie Ray did some great blues, indeed. I have some albums and live DVD's with him. Great stuff, all of it:cool: Hey, SRV's rythm section still lives on! Did you listen to Double Trouble with Kenny Wayne Shepherd?? That is some of the most tightly played Blues for years;)

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.