The Blues.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wow, eight pages and no one has mentioned Lonnie Johnson, but since I only discovered him recently myself, that can be overlooked. He has one of the finest voices I have ever heard sing the blues. Check out Lonnie Johnson with Elmer Snowden "Blues and Ballads" to start. This is one of the finest, most emotionally moving blues recordings I have ever heard. From the liner notes: "Side one opens with HAUNTED HOUSE, a very moving blues which literally drove Lonnie Johnson to tears as he sang it in the studio."

Doug

Dont be so surprised about that! There are/were so many great blues artists around, that you simply cant give them all, the credit they deserve. Pheeew, that was a long line:) Lonnie Johnson was(actually is!) great, indeed.
I am hoping for Kenny Wayne Shepherd to play at next years Blues Fest here:) He pretty much tops the wishlist, which actually gets to dicide who gets invited;) Hopes he says yes!! Hope he gets things under control too!!

Steen:)

BTW Doug; Any record company or serial on that recording??

" ... I am hoping for Kenny Wayne Shepherd to play at next years Blues Fest here ..."

That's an interesting concept:

Who would you want to hear live or hear recorded "next years Blues Festival" ?? Favorite current live touring blues band? Favorite Blues singer? Favorite Blues Guitar? Piano? .... Favorite Blues _____ ?

The "Odense International Bluesdage" (Bluesdage tranlates to Blueday's;) ) is arranged by a privat organization called "Odense Blues Circle" It gets a good deal of sponsormoney from a Beer-brewery and also a good deal of official sponsor$. Otherwise it would not be possible to have an event like that, here. The Blues Circle takes requests and they try to hire the most wanted artists.
You can just email your wishes. I suggested Kenny Wayne and also Seasick Steve (he would be cool to see live, I am sure) and Corey Harris would also be cool to have. But ofcourse not all artists are available at any given time. Here is a link in danish (so it will be of limited use for most).

http://www.bluesdage.dk/

Attachments

• red-poster-cuckoo.jpg
    red-poster-cuckoo.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 113
steenoe said:
Dont be so surprised about that! There are/were so many great blues artists around, that you simply cant give them all, the credit they deserve. Pheeew, that was a long line:) Lonnie Johnson was(actually is!) great, indeed.
I am hoping for Kenny Wayne Shepherd to play at next years Blues Fest here:) He pretty much tops the wishlist, which actually gets to dicide who gets invited;) Hopes he says yes!! Hope he gets things under control too!!

BTW Doug; Any record company or serial on that recording??

Agreed. Too many to list. As I delve ever deeper into the blues, I occasionally come across a gem like this Johnson recording made in 1960. It's funny, though, Johnson did not want to be known as a blues player. His first love was jazz. There's an interesting entry on him in Wikipedia.

Here's an Amazon link for the album info:

http://www.amazon.com/Blues-Ballads-Lonnie-Johnson-Snowden/dp/B000000XY0

"Steppin' on the Blues" looks to be all original recordings done in the 20's and 30's. Please let us know how it sounds.

I think I will get the Smithsonian Folkways recording next. It was recorded a few years after "Blues and Ballads." Even in his 60's, his voice sounds as fine as it probably ever did.

Doug

Yep I will:)
Kec posted a few nice links earlier to some youtube videos of Mississippi John Hurt and Big Bill Broonzy, very nice videos too!. Now that I found out how to record streaming audio/video, here is the message on youtube:
This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Stefan Grossman’s Guitar Workshop, Inc.
Does that suc# or what, and who the heck is that Stefan Grossman?? As if he has something to say about those old Bluesguys?? Cant beleive it, ought to be illegal:smash:

Steen:mad:

Zen Mod said:
blues is just for old farts
:devilr:

Here's one of them...coolest of the cool. Listen to his early "Boogie Chillen'" take and then his re-take after almost 50 years with Eric Clapton on guitar. That smoky, nicotine spit-in-the-throat voice, fret work and foot tapping just sounds glorious on Class A. Recommended are "The Healer", "Chill Out", "The Best of Friends"...just some from about 60 albums over 6 decades and notable awards in-between.

http://www.johnleehooker.com/history.htm
:cool:

I used to "hang" with John Lee and his main squeeze. ( http://www.tradewindsbar.com/ ) ... Yes, coolest of the cool ... (Yes, I am an old fart too.)

" ... That smoky, nicotine spit-in-the-throat voice, fret work and foot tapping just sounds glorious ..." to say nothing of his other habits, good and bad, which he eventually conquered ... Late in life he found his true calling, clean and relatively sober, his performances just got better and better right up to the very end ... :eguitar:

Tupelo, it is Steen...

"It happened long time ago, in a little country town, way back in Mississippi;
It rained and it rained, it rained both night and day;
The people got worried, they began to cry,
"Lord have mercy, where can we go now?" "

Only John Lee can make a song like Tupelo listenable. Heck, I'll listen even if he was just humming!

Boom! You're spot on with "The Hot Spot", Jurgen.

"Boom boom boom boom
I'm gonna shoot you right down,
right offa your feet
Take you home with me,
put you in my house
Boom boom boom boom
A-haw haw haw haw
Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm
Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm"

-shall we keep going?

It is gonna be really difficult to get an overview of Hooker's recordings:bigeyes: Searching a bit around, there is so many re-issues, compilations and albums on nearly all known labels.
Take a look at allmusicguides listings:
http://www.allmusicguide.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:difuxq95ldke~T2
Lots of main albums and mucho more compilations. Since his dead in 2001, they are pumping out compilations like mad. The Shout-factory boxset seems like a good choice. 4 CD's spanning nearly 50 years! This set is put together from lots of different labels which is nice. Usually the "Best off's" put together by a particular label is too limited.
http://www.shoutfactory.com/press/157/john_lee_hooker_hooker.aspx
Hookers daughter is pretty excited about it, so I guess we can be too?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.