The Blues.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've read the first post only.

I like Blues a lot, specially Buddy Guy. Etta James is also very good, but quite depressing... I like the blues rythm and the kind of melody, but very often these musics are too much sad for my taste, and just conflicts with my mood, then I don't listen to.

There's many "good mood" blues also, such "shotgun blues" from kenny wayne, but I don't consider it a true blues, since it's very different from the initial blues proposal... Should I call it a kind of rock?

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Just an idea .... (maybe at bit off-topic ?)

....why don't we set up a new thread, where one can recommend/review/mention .....
his favourite NEW or newly reissued (BLUES- !!!) CDs/LPs/DVDs (every?) once a month . ( One or more ??)
Or maybe listing new interesting additions at "archive.org"/"youtube"/"mytube" or the likes etc.
(1/4 of a year on from thes release date at oldest, please !?)
This way we may get a good list of "gottahavetheses"/"shouldaknowtheses" in the long run.
I'd suggest "BluesNews" as thread-name for a start.
What do you think ??

Greez

Siggi K.

(But be warned: I'm BIASED !! [musically speaking, that is ;-)))!])

Newest Blues Opinion Thread / BluesNews

Go for it!

I know I am always interested in whatever anyone says about The Blues and The Musicians and The Records, etc. etc ...

Might take a look here too: http://www.epinions.com/content_5033336964 ... and a google produces lots of these sort of links, threads, topics, opinion pages, etc. about The Blues and related. :cool:

I subscripe to these commercial news letters as well:

http://www.elusivedisc.com/departments.asp?dept=168

http://www.themusic.com/search.cfm?groove_cat=13&sidebar=groove

As for me, If it ain't on DVD-A or SACD or Vinyl, I don't give it much steam ...

Blues said:
US blues musician Philadelphia Jerry Ricks dies in Croatian clinic...

Sad indeed.

More dead's.... Ike Turner died today, 76 years old....
Born in Clarkesdale, he worked with many of the essential Delta-Bluesmen. That alone earnes him a place with the Blues legends.... Not to mention his other merrits..... Like Tina.... and Rocket 88..... Well, I am glad I happened to see him at a live performance at least once..... Oh, and a certain Elvis used to sneak up on him, to see how he handled the piano....

Steen.

A true Bluesman came this way.
The other day I went to a Blues concert. I had heard of them once, but really didnt know them; "Watermelon Slim and the Workers". Man I was surprised to experience the real thing in a degree that is still hard to beleive. If you ever get a chance to see this guy live, just go! He was very "audience-friendly" so to speak. I had a good chat with him twice and had my newly bought CD's signed. His story goes that when he was wounded in the Vietnam war, he learned to play the Blues on a 5$ guitar with a guitar pick made out of a rusty coffeecup and for the slide; he used his Zippo lighter! Well thats about as good as a bluesy story get:) I am really happy that I did go .....
He was nominated for 6 "Blues music awards" twice, and the Mojo magazine has his latest release "The wheel man" as the best Blues album in 2007. It is one of the albums nominated for the 6 awards! Only a few Blues men ever did that before. ( Buddy Guy, to mention one) Here is Slim's homepage and a pic of some signed CD's:) http://www.watermelonslim.com/
You can watch him at youtube too:
http://www.youtube.com/user/southernrec
And also at Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/watermelonslim
If you wonder what the circuit behind the CD's is; its the Pumpkin getting a new home;)

:)

Attachments

• watermelon_cd.jpg
    watermelon_cd.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 87
James Blood Ulmer

A couple of good ones:

No Escape from the Blues - nice electric blues

Birthright - nice acoustic blues

If you're not familiar with this guy, he was kind of an avant player in the early 80's, bred on Ornette Coleman's "harmolodics". At the time, Hendrix comparisons were made, probably because he could sing, compose and play guitar well.

His newer stuff is more classic blues, but with always with some twist.

- Ed

Always loved the blues. Got hooked in the mid 60's when could go see The Yardbirds every Friday night at a pub in Croydon with Eric Clapton starting out on his path to 'Godliness'! Caught the recorded concert at the Craw Daddy Twickenham (the Sonny Boy Williamson LP) too, then a few early Cream club gigs and of course John Mayall who I really rate. Played lead in several thrown together gig bands around S. London (Maff Fisher later of Procul Harum was in one of them who I remember as a first rate blues keyboard player) then switched to bass for a bit with a band that had a residency in a pub in the Old Kent Road. These days (I'm getting on a bit!) I just stick to multi-tracking at home on a BOSS 900CD doing all the bits myself. There are a couple of examples on http://www.soundclick.com/rojalesbluesband one with a vocal track ... (I'm no singer!) ... the other is an instrumental. All the guitar parts (including the 'bass' via an octave dropper) are the same guitar ... a 'homemade' I've had for over forty years. I'm hoping to do some new tracks with keyboards on soon, also alto sax which I've been learning to play since Xmas. I try to write my own stuff which saves all the copyright hassle! Interesting to find a blues section here ... I originally came to see what's being said about home studios as my next project is to have a second crack at building one (first attempt too small once all the gear was in!)

Hi Mike. Nice to see a real Blues musician here in this thread:) Great stuff you have on Youtube! Well, here on DIYaudio, there is a topic for almost everything (including windmill's:D ) I found it peculiar that there were no thread about the most important music-genre of all times. Thats why I started this one:cool: Blues is the mother of all modern music, as we all know by now.....

More Blues Artists

Hey you guys, why not check out Roy Buchanan (sadly no longer with us). As an old fogey all this technology passes me by - but I'm sure you will find lots of links on the Net and via Amazon etc.

Whilst checking out Roy Buchanan, why not blow your mind by listening to a couple of Gary Moore's (Blues) CD's? Gary started off with Rock, but now he's older and wiser he plays a mean (fast as in scorching) blues.

Buddy Guy is the real deal - so natural.

Once I get the hang of this new found forum I'll come back with more recommendations maybe - but also, I shall be expecting you guys to recommend some good blues recordings.

Question: Now that the old timers have mainly passed onto Blues Heaven - who's going to replace them - to keep the blues alive?

Re: More Blues Artists

Bluecooder said:
Question: Now that the old timers have mainly passed onto Blues Heaven - who's going to replace them - to keep the blues alive?

As I have said so many times, the Blues is finished (only on the hitlist) but it will live forever.
There is a great subculture of Blues going on. Even a small country like here in Denmark, is having its fair share of dedicated Blues musicians. Even hardcore acoustic Delta blues is pretty much represented by artists that travelled the delta and so on. I am sure the blues will live on, but not as a competitor for the hitlist #1!! Every city of a certain size is sure to have some kind of Blues-joint, just like it has a Jazz joint. ( Those two are often combined, to be be performed at the same joint)
On a totally other note, here is a link to a marvellous collection of Blues music:
Blues Collection
I collected nearly all of them, and they are great indeed.

With the "International Bluesdays" comming up here in Odense with Johnny Winter as one of the attractions, I thought that a short presentation was in order. He has been a Blues advocate for years, and never did any muteny, as so many others did. All the 3 albums that he did release in 1969 are regarded as "must haves" If you like the guy! Also the albums "Let Me in" from 1991 and "Guitarslinger" from 1984 are regarded as highlights. Those 5 albums will get anyone started, if you like Johnny's kind of Blues. He made many more great albums, though..... Having been listening to him since the 70's, I am really looking forward to see him live. I hope to catch him backstage for an autograph....He-he.
Here is a link to the Bluesday's:
http://www.bluesdage.dk/
We are in for a treat......

I've enjoyed this thread. Thanks for sharing!

A few of my favorites:

Tommy Johnson (e.g., "Cool Drink of Water" and "Maggie Campbell")

Robert Pete Williams (very unusual for the blues, which, of course, usually is very conventional)

The Kings of Rhythm (Ike Turner's band; I especially enjoy the "I'm Tore Up" LP, which features Turner on guitar and a perfect sound)

Bukka White's Vocalion recordings (e.g., "Where Can I Change My Clothes")

"The Blues Came Down from Memphis" (a Charly collection of blues from Sun Records, including Doctor Ross's "Boogie Disease," James Cotton's "Cotton Crop Blues," and Rufus Thomas's "Tiger Man")

"Howling [sic] Wolf: Original Folk Blues" (United Records; some glorious moments [and an excruciating one, too] from the early 50s, including "Crying at Daybreak," a very good version of "Smokestack Lightnin'," and "House Rockers," which is summed up best by the Wolf himself: "Aaaahhh! Ain't that sweet? Darlin', that's so sweet!")

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.