The best sounding audio integrated opamps

well, do you still have the Audio-GD HDAM around? borrow whatever source that can run 2*2 op-amps and play around!

or get a stock Prodigy HD2 on ebay or sumthing...it's not because they suck in your ZeroDAC or modded standalone player, that you should rule them out IMO.

in the right set up, they sound fantastic...but boring, so they need to be fed w/ something colored like the 1364, and why not AD797B/1028ACN8/1363 etc etc

they are like the ultimate amp...feed them well and they will reward you w/ premium SQ...they sound like a VERY expensive audiophile set up, not very good as I/V but most fantastic as final buffer after I/V.

many ppl put discrete op-amps on my soundcard(that feeds the op-amps w/ ±8.8V), there's a very good reason for that:

Google Translate

Google Translate

and the high gain JRC4580 on the headphones out goes after those 3 op-amps...it gives a fantastic bass response!

if you like external gear better, a friend of mine bought this: Google Translate

he loves it w/ an OPA2132P! it sounds better than the Asus STX to his ears...and he will put 2*AD797BN if I manage to locate some.

restricting your rolling to only one dual op-amp is a waste of time IMHO.
Ehm... I'm not very much into computer audio.

What I've been looking at (as a potential, though I guess redundant, new purchase :) ) are this:

Poppulse - POPPULSE PCM1796 - DAC USB2.0 24Bit/192KHz

and this:

Welcome to Audiophilechina

P.S. I still have two single OPA-Earth, but I don't think I'm going to use them soon

Last edited:

I didn't hear much diference while the Earth was burning in, but I'll let the Sun V2 burn in...it's less tubey than Earth, but the bass is a bit shy to my taste :eek:

I love the crazy low end bass on the Earth :)

humm, the magic is gone...I'll put back the Earth later today, and I'm buying a burson from a friend...that should give :cloud9:

maybe I'll try 2*Sun>1*Earth :spin:

This is a breakthrough... :eek:

Well, I removed the socket and I soldered the browndog with those 2 LT1028CS8 on the pcb. Also, I removed a 33uF tantalum I'd put in the opamp power supply line, and added a 330nF Wima MKS instead (just to speed up a little the energy delivery at high frequency, the main power supply cap being a Rubycon ZL 680uF 16V). A 100nF Wima MKS was already there, just under the opamp.

I don't know why (or do I) but it sounds better now! I guess it's the socket...

Plus, I think that that tantalum cap made the sound just a little edgy sometimes.

At any rate, now the sound is even more refined... And so it will stay :rolleyes:

Actually I think I prefer the DAC with the LT1028 slightly, it seems just a little more authentic sounding.

It's very impressive that the LT1028 should sound so good at 12V!

Although there's that silver interconnect that I bet is not helping the other DAC..

Are you referring to I/V position in the DAC? But it has only 11V/uS slew rate. You still think it will sound good in this position. Any comment?

I think that's just imagination. Decent sockets will not change the sound, especially if you have the decopling caps soldered on the cip.
As for the location of your OA - it is not in critical position, you are using it just as a filter/buffer.
As I said, yor findings, for the I/V stage, are meningless. So... generalization is dangerous.

Last edited:
Not critical you say? It's one opamp in the signal path, i.e. a warranty of coloration :) I'd say this is critical enough.

That said, I find I/V conversion to be a minor application, surely not a major one. And anyway the LT1028 has a high bandwidth (> 80 MHz), very high open-loop gain, very low noise, very low Ib for a bipolar, good slew rate, so it could be quite well suited also for I/V conversion. No I'm not claiming it's the best for that :) (especially since I haven't tried that)

it's funny majkel was saying that Sun V2 is like a boy in love that forgets something, that there is some tonal colors it cannot output: Audio-gd discrete op-amps reviewed: OPA-Earth, OPA-Moon, OPA-Sun v.2 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

I think I agree, soundstage is great but there seems to be some frequencies missing...there's something the LT1364CN8 can do as AK4396 LPF that the Sun V2 simply cannot offer.

OTOH, I love Earth as final buffer....it sounds amazing with two LT1364CN8 as AK4396 LPF's!

hopefully 2xLT1363CN8 on adapters will be spot-on...I'm still looking for AD797BN, but there are *******' hard to locate :(

I'm getting a new burson too, this should give with some 1363/1080ACN8 :)

I remember the OPA-Sun V2 to be nice, meaty sounding... but somewhat colored, not very differently from the LT1363. One opamp that always imposes its interpretation. :) I think I have found better in the LT1028. Also the LME49710NA is rigorous enough. Funnily I found the LME49710HA to be less rigorous and more...creative :p

Last edited: