The best sounding audio integrated opamps

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I seem to have a particularly acute perception of sonic colors (timbres). Of course I don't know the "color" the recorded music originally had (before passing through microphones etc. etc.); and if I based my fine tunings on a single record I would surely and hopelessly be deceived. The trick is to find the opamp that plays all the records the most emotionally... when this happens (or comes close), I know I'm on the right track. Music should move you, no? Well, this is all that I look for. The difficult part is getting all the different styles of music (and recordings) to be done an equal justice... and the genius lies in achieving this :D :cloud9:

P.S. When I say "fine tunings" I mean not only opamps, but cables (interconnects, digital too, and speaker cable), even speaker supports (e.g. wood sounds different than metal spikes) ...

Exactly :)

Whether through accident or design... I like to think design... is what my amp achieves. It all comes together as a whole... I have heard nothing to better it, every last nuance and emotion is revealed. Every aspect of the design, the distortion each stage produces all comes together to create a sonic delight.

FET input switching... must add it's own distortion characteristic to the result.

The use of correctly implemented OPA2604's in virtual earth configuration, which consistently seems to sound better to me.

The single ended input stage lateral FET power amp run at a "lean" class AB bias.

Result... the best sonics for "musicallity" I have heard.
If I had heard something I liked better I would want it, crave it, desire it... I haven't :)

Circuit details here in the first few posts,
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/119151-my-mosfet-amplifier-designed-music.html

Exactly :)

Whether through accident or design... I like to think design... is what my amp achieves. It all comes together as a whole... I have heard nothing to better it, every last nuance and emotion is revealed. Every aspect of the design, the distortion each stage produces all comes together to create a sonic delight.

FET input switching... must add it's own distortion characteristic to the result.

The use of correctly implemented OPA2604's in virtual earth configuration, which consistently seems to sound better to me.

The single ended input stage lateral FET power amp run at a "lean" class AB bias.

Result... the best sonics for "musicallity" I have heard.
If I had heard something I liked better I would want it, crave it, desire it... I haven't :)

Circuit details here in the first few posts,
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/119151-my-mosfet-amplifier-designed-music.html
So, as the final step... why not try to replace the OPA2604 with 'modules' with two LT1028ACN8 on them? Of course you'd have to pay attention to the (moderate) input bias current of the LT1028.

I am more than happy with it all as it stands... and thoroughly enjoy the musical experience it provides.

I perfectly understand. I had a headphone amp which had two OPA2134UA in the signal path and sounded quite good... I replaced them with "more advanced" stuff, trying combinations of different opamps, but I couldn't stop and finally the amp went to the trash bin :headshot:

Regarding the formerly mentioned unreliability of acoustic memory... well that's precisely the reason why it's crucial to become addicted to the sound of a certain part (here: opamp) before replacing it to try something else. When I used to switch opamps like I was in a state of frenzy... I kept knowing nothing, :spin: so patience is key.

Last edited:
well, I think I'm only gonna go 2*single DIP(1028ACN8/1363CN8) on adapters instead of SOIC8 chips on browndogs...these adapters just stink IMO, at least in a PC case...they catch EMI like you wouldn't believe.

I'll use a bunch of additional DIP8 sockets to rise some of them, if need be.

these adapters look much better: 10pcs Dual SOIC to DIP-8 Convert PCB Adapter SMD OPA627 - eBay

he clearly says that browndogs suck :D

DIP8 is much better shielded anyway...now I need good quality adapters, the hunt begins!

Are you saying that the browndogs work like antennas, while those 10 cm (or so) long extensions of the Audio-GD opamps don't? :p

I have no problems using browndogs, personally. BTW, the DIP8 and SOIC packages are equally unshielded from the outside world. :)

If interference is such a problem for your application, the LME49720HA should by far outperform anything else... no?

Oh, anyway, do try the LME49720HA soldered on the dedicated browndog. I would swear it wasn't just my imagination when I thought that with the proper TO99 adapter in between (not grossly sticked on a DIP socket) that chip sounds better..

well I've asked Kingwa, and he said that he's added caps to avoid oscillation and that the op-amp is properly shiedled to ground anyway.

I can't honestly hear any nasty artifacts...but for the hell of it I've ordered twice shorter extensions(5cm instead of 10). I've also enabled Spread Sprectrum on my mobo, so that helps too.

the issue is the poor shielding and general design of the browndogs...read that ebay ad, he's pretty clear that he tried to do things better.

yep, I did try the 49720HA(bent :D), and well, what is there to say? it's like a 49720NA with better bass?

as majkel put it: Audio-gd discrete op-amps reviewed: OPA-Earth, OPA-Moon, OPA-Sun v.2 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio
LM4562 – just a lesser version of the LME49720. Its midrange is on the warm-bright side instead of neutral, overall good and rich presentation, unfortunately too obviously defined hence predictive and limited sometimes.
I've grown tired of that LME sound, it sounds artificial, trebles are whiney..the SS is just dull, the SS on the 1364 is very natural and on the Earth it's full 180 degrees..or maybe a bit more actually, that's what a friend of mine thinks anyway :p
got anything like these by any chance? Single-to-dual Op-AMP Adapter - DIP version (p/n 021001)

Last edited:
I don't think that the LME49723 and the LME49720HA sound all that artificial. Especially the LME49723. I hope also the LME49725.

The LT1363 is very good but I don't know, sometimes it doesn't have that ultimate definition. The LT1028 has that ultimate definition - but, you know, sometimes it doesn't have that relaxed presentation. :p

My best hopes are directed towards the OPA1611 and the OPA1612...

I don't know what your setup is, but chaining op-amps is the best way to mix all their good sides...1364>Earth sounds miles better than the opposite, I wouldn't be that impressed by either of those alone...it's only mixed together that they make up for some totally mind blogging SQ :headshot:

yeah ok, within 10 days or so I'll try the LT1028ACN8 on adapters...I wonder if it'll give the same holographic vocals as the 1364, I kinda doubt it though.

Vocals with the LT1028 can sound both better and worse than they sound with the LT1363, depending on the record. :) Meaning that the LT1363 tends to make them always pleasant, while the LT1028 tells more truth.

By the way... I have placed my good old AD845KN (on adapter) inside my "cmoy" headphone amp, with 24V power supply, and I love the sound! Sounds better in this application than OPA627BP, LT1363, LT1360...

Yes I agree, pairing a couple of different opamps can be the best way to get the most balanced sound both spectrum wise and timbre wise.

"Unfortunately" though my DACs both have only one opamp in the signal path. So I must try hard to find the most 'universal' sounding opamp, as I said before. :eek:

..so you must find something with more swappable op-amps to play with! :p

2*2 is great, 2 to process the DAC output and 2 to color it even further...so you can make a nice combo, there's no such thing as a "perfect" op-amp IMHO. instead of searching for something that does not exist, get a better DAC that allows for more advanced op-amp fiddling? if it's based on an AK4396, it'll be a win-win as this DAC sounds fantastic(mandatory 128X oversampling at all sampling frequencies, yeah babe!!)

well that's what I like about vocals on the 1364, they sound surreal! if I want flat and boring, I can put more Earth's, but I don't want it natural and flat. I want it exciting, grasping, emotional :)