The best sounding audio integrated opamps

Do I change my mind every day? Please don't confuse the search (linear thinking is abstraction - man has a contradictory nature) with the finding...

I have come to the same conclusions with two different DAC's and at different times. The LT1028 is a keeper for me.

BTW, lately I read in a popular audio magazine's news section of a high-end, expensive UK-made DAC that uses the LT1028 for its analog stages..

Last edited:
Besides, I believe that always sticking to one's judgments is alone a solid proof of stupidity.

Speaking of opamps... well every (properly working) opamp has something to like! And since every plus is different, and every minus is too, then it's impossible to establish a truly reliable hierarchy of sound quality! And this even forgetting of the sonical and electrical synergy with the rest of the device!

So it ends up being a matter of mood or state of mind, or compatibility with certain music, what you prefer or not... I mean it's all continuosly changing... and you are changing yourself...

Life is like that... Changing your mind is staying true to life. Never (or almost) changing your mind is sign of intellectual rigidity i.e. a form of stupidity. :spin:

Sorry for the rant :p

Last edited:
What nelsonvandal doesn't seem to grasp is that, overcompensated or undercompensated, every opamp has a definite and invariable sonic character with respect to sonic timbre (color). Since I look for musicality, I very much (though certainly not exclusively) judge by this parameter.

When the primary condition is satisfied, I start considering if it sounds too round or too spiky...

Last edited:
ah well, when I was comparing OPA-Sun V2 and LT1364...Sun was missing the holographic stereo stage(too dual mono to my taste, very poor stereo coherence) but the sound was just a lot cleaner and clearer....now I kinda find the 1364 "dirty", all it has for itself is the stereo stage...but trebles are distorted :(

I'll roll the 1361 for the hell of it :)

humm, maybe I'll try LT1213 again...I kinda liked this one
Another one worth trying and comparing to the LT1364. I'm curious, though not as much as I am about the LT1632.

At any rate, the LT1028 remains the best LT opamp.

There's also the LT1122, FET opamp with a similar sound to the LT1028, a little less transparent, but quite 'grainless' for a FET opamp. It has what many would call tubey mids. I like it as much as the OPA132UA, even though they have different tonal characters.

Last edited:
LT1122ACN8, I asked for that...but never got it either.

BTW, an interesting link : Google Translate

oh well, I'll roll the 1361 in a minute...I want the 1364 sound w/ less distortion in the trebles.

I didn't like the 1355/1358..trebles were metallic to death.

1124 was good, might be worth a roll too...the SS on 1213 is AMAZING.

PS: yea OPA827 was too neutral to my taste.

LT1213 sounds great, it always did! it was just a bit too clean, but Earth makes up for it now...and SS is amazing, far better than the 136x family.

slower doesn't mean worse...and they're all available in "A" grade, gonna have to check them out I guess.

Last edited: