The best sounding audio integrated opamps

hahaha, yes I went through some uber-smokey books that said that w/ some daily exercises you could overcome physiological eyes problem w/ your brain :p
Heh, it would be a different matter if things hadn't taken the opposite (and much less challenging for the individual) path. Maybe we would know more of this stuff by now. Instead we're just timidly beginning to question our blind faith in the common "materialist" medicine...

But hey, this is indeed off-track. :D

Last edited:
For rail decoupling it makes it doesn't really mater which way round, but as ground or zero volts is our "low impedance" point that's where I would connect the outer to. I think you have read the bit where it says decoupling a signal point to B+ (or V+ if you prefer) in which case V+ is the low impedance point.

Which cap ? I would say the ones that fit the best physically. It's an unwritten rule of mine that any mods have to look like they were factory installed.

Typical caps I use are the Epcos and Wima's.... don't pay over the odds too :)
alright! so used for op-amp decoupling between V+ and V-, the orientation doesn't matter then :confused:

well, my unwritten rule is that it should sound the best, even if it looks grotesque w/ 3 huge white mundorf caps...when the PC case is closed, I couldn't care less :p

8772404cfc05cb580d84adb0b12f8b2f.jpg

the caps on your link are not MKP(as burson advises), and the higher grade black Mundorf caps are not MKP either..they are "KP", not sure if that'd be OK to use as well?

Mundorf MCap

Mundorf MCap-ZN

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It doesn't matter which way round electrically... and tbh I would be more concerned about any stray pickup into all those wires etc.

Interesting to see tan theta mentioned in the specs for the caps... it's more to do with electroylitics really... I suspect any small value foil or film will give similar results. I even built one (a meter to measure it)
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/131339-me-my-tan-theta-meter-capacitor-tester.html

A bit more here,
http://www.bychoice.com/cap_design_consideration.pdf

Personally I would just use good quality commercial grade components for all that you are doing :)

MKP and KP are German abbreviations, Ernst Roederstein (ERo and Roe) was the first to serial manufacture polypropylene foil caps.

MKP is metallized polypropylene foil, Metallisierter Kunststoff (= plastic) Polypropylen.
KP consists of separate layers of polypropylene foil and aluminum foil.

The chemically bonding of aluminum to plastic foil deteriorates the characteristics of foil caps, reasons should be rather obvious, making KP the superior of the two.

oh ok, I understood M standed for "metallized"..but my german is a bit rusty ^^

but they're not even in the audio path, so that mundorf stuff might very well be major overkill? the whites ones are twice cheaper, and already sound great :)

also, they swap the RCA plugs of my soundcards: http://www.itemaudio.co.uk/prodigy_hd2.html
Close inspection revealed that the 'gold RCA connectors' of the standard unit were low grade plated aluminium connectors with poor quality soldering. So out they came in favour of top notch CNC RCA sockets which were more widely spaced to accommodate high quality single ended cables.
you can see photos here: http://www.audiophonics.fr/burson-audio-pci-soundboard-prodigy-hd2-modded-192khz24bit-p-5024.html

how is that better to add wires? "poor quality" soldering? now soldering quality matters? :D

Last edited:
As I see it, the problem with that triple-Burson'ed soundcard is just one: cost. With that money I'd buy me a veeeery nice dedicated DAC. Actually, even with half the money. And it'd have a nice USB input. ;)
right, with 24/192 support...and no problem w/ jitter(this would cost another 100 EUR to get a low jitter S/PDIF interface)? and swappable op-amps? plus I traded this Burson for some discrete op-amps I got for free from Kingwa, so it cost me $10 of shipping costs :p

it's cheaper in the US: http://www.partsconnexion.com/bur_prodigy.html
You can DIY the Burson op-amps at a small fraction of the price. I don't know if the hubris will still apply.
I forgot you built that design :)
and everyone has the right equipment/supplies to make it in his kitchen.

Last edited:
right, with 24/192 support...and no problem w/ jitter(this would cost another 100 EUR to get a low jitter S/PDIF interface)? and swappable op-amps? plus I traded this Burson for some discrete op-amps I got for free from Kingwa, so it cost me $10 of shipping costs :p
Yup, all that. Who knows what happens with jitter before the digital signal reaches the internal soundcard, anyway.

For instance, you have the HA INFO NG94. It has a BUF634-buffered headphone amp built in too. I like it... might buy one, for a change from my usual (highly appreciated) CS4398 sound. :)

the NG94 is 16/48 max...and I have many 24/96 recordings I wanna hear in their full glory(for instance all the Depeche Mode SACD in 5.1 24/96 a friend of mine ripped on a LynxTWO-C)

@Mooly: I have a pair of modded MDR-CD1000(same drivers and better SQ now that it's modded than the MDR-CD3000...prolly one of the best dynamic headphones money can buy, SS is just huuuuuuuuuge), and some KRK Rokit on a t-amp.

ok, I was told that WIMA caps have an energetic sound...I'll go for the mundorf...they sound laid back just the way I like it :)

PS: ok, Mundorf got back to me:
thank you for using the famous MCap - the perfect choice for your application! The `M´ of MCap indicates the outer foil.

MCap ZN series and any other not metalized film/foil-capacitor should not be used in power applications, but signal path only to avoid serious damage!

Last edited:
I forgot you built that design :)
and everyone has the right equipment/supplies to make it in his kitchen.

I figured anyone who could build post #582 could pull it off. There are any number of valid reasons that daughtering those fairly exposed cards into a CD player would be problematic vs. say a discrete IC.

I would love to listen to all these modded players.