The best sounding audio integrated opamps

well, Andrea, I have to admit that it makes a lot more sense now that you've explained it thoroughly. thank you for taking the time to share this great knowledge...I unfortunately kinda sucks in the synaesthetic department, but I sure will look into it :)

and I wish you'd have a listen to LT1124ACN8 and tell me your thoughts! :cool:

I might try the LT1028ACN8 anytime soon, but to me majkel sounds like an AudioGD shill...I don't think any other chip can beat the new burson, but I will try two of them as final buffer :scratch2:

My turn for an "off topic" :) as you are talking colours.

Do you find that if a CD cover is totally unappealing in some way... colour, artwork etc it "detracts" from the experience ?
There certainly is a - subtle or not - link (or a correspondence) between the artist's questionable taste in the artwork of his record, and his questionable taste in making music :)

For me... it's the case of the King Crimson, for instance. But even that of Fiona Apple's "Extraordinary Machine" that I bought recently and I never listen.

Last edited:
BTW, the AD797 sounds 'like its numbers' like all the chips I've heard.

It has two 7 in its name that suggest a certain inclination towards digging deep into things someway... And, looking at it, I also like the symmetry of the numbers. :)

But, the sum of the numbers is 5 = something like 'attractive but not complete' as I understand it

The LT1028 makes a nicer 11 (I've read that the key numbers in numerology are 11 and 22). As I understand it, 11 tends to mean the reunion of opposite things, someway. Feel free to give your personal impretation. I think it relates well to its sound.

Funnily, my Musiland SVDAC05 has a digital attenuator (that takes advantage of the 128-step attenuator built in the CS4398); and I've discovered that it sounds best with the attenuator set at -11, rather than -7 which would bring its output to be levelled with that of my other (fixed output) DAC. Of course it's a subtle difference... but I do appreciate it :)

Note that all my considerations refer to sonic colors rather than anything else. If you don't perceive sonic colors (as colors, precisely), then don't bother..

Last edited:
My turn for an "off topic" :) as you are talking colours.

Do you find that if a CD cover is totally unappealing in some way... colour, artwork etc it "detracts" from the experience ?
sorry to bother Mooly...just to be perfectly clear, the outside foil on the mundorf should connect to V+, and not V-...right?

and do you think that this sort of MKP caps would be a better choice? mkp 0.1uf, great deals on eBay

they have shorter legs, but lesser grade...even though the red WIMA are what came stock on my soundcard.

Hope you can help, then I'll stop ask noobish questions..thanks!

PS: I'm colorblind, so I'll refrain from talking about colors...I do have my own scale :D

For instance the Army hires colorblind ppl to detect camouflages normal ppl can't see.

Last edited:
there's many levels of colorblindness...I basically see far less nuances than normal ppl, and I mix light green/light yellow, dark green/dark brown, purple/navy blue(this one is very tough, as I got a red-based colorblindness)..but as you get old, you learn to use your brain to overcome your eyes deficiency. I usually find myself breakin colors into primaries, and with some concentration I can identify colors I cannot "see" :D

there's many levels of colorblindness...I basically see far less nuances than normal ppl, and I mix light green/light yellow, dark green/dark brown, purple/navy blue(this one is very tough, as I got a red-based colorblindness)..but as you get old, you learn to use your brain to overcome your eyes deficiency. I usually find myself breakin colors into primaries, and with some concentration I can identify colors I cannot "see" :D

It's not a matter of the eyes but of the brain, as far as I know. I wear glasses myself, but I don't blame my eyes.

I've had my eye on the LT1028 for some time. Wonder if the evaluation was done with circuit straigh out of the data sheets or whether some work was necessary to get it good.

The evaluation was done in existing circuits (analog stages of my 2 DAC's), and it was subjectively (by me) found to perform best of all.

The LME49720HA was a close second in one of my two DACs, though. I didn't like the LME49710HA too much in my other DAC, though, as it seemed somehow emotionless. Instead the LT1028 is excellent with both.

Last edited:
It's not a matter of the eyes but of the brain, as far as I know. I wear glasses myself, but I don't blame my eyes.
colorblindness is due to a lack of cones in the retina: What is Colorblindness and the Different Types

Most likely you're wearing glasses due to your eyes deficiency, not your brain: Myopia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
With myopia, the eyeball is too long
The opposite defect of myopia is hyperopia [..] this is where the cornea is too flat or the eye is too short.

colorblindness is due to a lack of cones in the retina: What is Colorblindness and the Different Types

Most likely you're wearing glasses due to your eyes deficiency, not your brain: Myopia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm referring to a current of thought that goes back to William H. Bates, a scientist who asserted that any limitation of sight begins in the brain. The malfunctioning of the eyes themselves would be but a consequence. Certainly, with time this physical malfunction (if it's not promptly cured at its psychical root -very unlikely given the modern convictions of medicine) would be destined to become permanent. And that must be the stage I'm at (with millions of others) :headbash:

Last edited:
Not fair to cast out nines in one case and not the other.

Odds are sacred geometry in the old asian gardens, Ryoan-ji has 15 stones (3+5+7) simply being in its presence is a profound experience.
You don't cast out the nines...

The 9 is a special number in that 9+N always gives N, and 9*N always gives 9.

How's it called in mathematics? Errr...my school memories have faded away.

Anyway, when you have a number that isn't 1 to 9, you keep summing until you get to it. Except that 11 and 22 shouldn't be reduced further, because in numerology they'd be key numbers with a very special significance. As you see...I'm far from deeply involved in numerology. Just the amount that I strictly need (and that I verify) :) I'm a lazy guy...

Last edited:
a current of thought that goes back to William H. Bates, a scientist who asserted that any limitation of sight begins in the brain.
hahaha, yes I went through some uber-smokey books that said that w/ some daily exercises you could overcome physiological eyes problem w/ your brain :p

well, I can partly overcome my colorblindness by breaking colors into primaries, but there is no way in hell I will ever pass those tests due to "hardware malfunctions" way past possible maintenance :smash:

Are You Color Blind?

I only see 25/56 and I can hardly guess 29

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
sorry to bother Mooly...just to be perfectly clear, the outside foil on the mundorf should connect to V+, and not V-...right?

and do you think that this sort of MKP caps would be a better choice? mkp 0.1uf, great deals on eBay

they have shorter legs, but lesser grade...even though the red WIMA are what came stock on my soundcard.

Hope you can help, then I'll stop ask noobish questions..thanks!

PS: I'm colorblind, so I'll refrain from talking about colors...I do have my own scale :D

For instance the Army hires colorblind ppl to detect camouflages normal ppl can't see.

For rail decoupling it makes it doesn't really mater which way round, but as ground or zero volts is our "low impedance" point that's where I would connect the outer to. I think you have read the bit where it says decoupling a signal point to B+ (or V+ if you prefer) in which case V+ is the low impedance point.

Which cap ? I would say the ones that fit the best physically. It's an unwritten rule of mine that any mods have to look like they were factory installed.

Typical caps I use are the Epcos and Wima's.... don't pay over the odds too :)
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/b..._CC&catalogId=&prevNValues=411+500001+1000035

Last edited: