The best sounding audio integrated opamps

well, all of these exist..listen to the LT1364 and hear its holographic stereo stage! it's like you're in the studio cabin next to the singer :eek:

it's a known fact that this chip is a favorite to put on the Prodigy HD2 soundcard and many external DAC's.

maybe this guy is crazy too? Little Dot MK1 opamp rolling - Head-Fi

if all the op-amps sound identical to an NE5532, I pity you.

Last edited:
Andrea: and leeperry,
I started collecting some phrases/adjectives that you both use to describe the "sound" of various op-amps

bland and lifeless
nice, but flawed
fluid and grainless
tonally dull and midbass lacking
mechanic in the mids
unique sonic flavor
more dynamic
creamy and pleasing midrange smoothness
mostly transparent
untameable
mellow and warm sound
Very refined
magic sound
lifelike tonality
distorted/saturated/compressed/I don't know
artificial
surreal
natural weight to sounds
hi-fi color
euphonic sound
Colored but also a bit unresolving
in-between clinical and colored
mids... more dark and smoothed out
authentic sounding
mono-izes
meaty sounding
crippled somehow
more stereo coherent
sounds too round or too spiky
holographic stereo stage
dirty
grainless
too aseptic
trebles were metallic
dryish mids
expressive
screechy mids
shouty
laid back
metallic/thin/blurry/computer-sounding
more fluid

I had to stop there.
I developed a severe headache.
I feared that if I continued, my ears would start bleeding.
That's just my subjective experience.
;)

Cheers.

ZAP

I just wrote a response on another DIY site and found I was short of words; and now I am not.

ah well, Violator is wonderfully mixed on SACD..the rest of their work...I don't really like, but gooodamn Violator in 5.1 lossless, that's something!

but don't you have better things to do -as a 2 billion dollars IC chips engineer- than post in this thread to mock ppl who like to roll op-amps? are you posting from your workplace? should I call your boss to let him know? I'm dialing right now

Last edited:
I'm just briefly in this thread to help out.
Here, in alphabetical order, are some of my florid favorites lifted from a webzine 2 part article on capacitor "sound".

Airy
Anemic
Anvil-taught
Assertive
Balanced
Bassy
Billowing
Bite
Bloom
Bold
Brassy
Breathy
Bright
Brittle
Broken
Buzz
Clarity
Clean
Clear
Closed
Clouded
Coherence
Compressed
Confident
Damped
Dark
Dense
Detail
Detailed
Diminutive
Distinct
Dynamic
Ear-grabbing
Eargasmic
Effervescent
Elegant
Exotic
Extended
Fast
Feathery
Flair
Flavored
Flowing
Fluffier
Fluid
Full
Glare
Grain
Harsh
Hollow
Impactful
Laid-back
Liquid
Liveliness
Magical
Midrange-centric
Muddy
Musical
Natural
Neutral
Occluded
Open
Overdone
Personality
Pleasing
Polite
Punchy
Refined
Rich
Romantic
Sexy
Slippery
Slow
Smooth
Sophisticated
Sparkling
Spitty
Strained
Subtle
Syrupy
Tasteful
Textured
Thick
Thin
Tight
Transparent
Veiled
Vivid
Warm
Wholesome
:spin:

Cheers.

ZAP

oh yes, I cannot bear LT1364 anymore...LT1124ACN8 is better in every department, 1364 sounds grossly distorted in comparison. It does vocals really well, but all the rest sucks.

get some 1124(get them shipped to a relative if LT banned you :D), try them in the NG94..tell me what you think ;)

I think the opposite: the LT1364 shines in the frequency extremes, but tends to overshadow minute details in vocals and the midrange in general. The LT1469 has a better midrange, more resolving and less bland though still not perfect. The LT1028 outshines them, both in naturalness and in transparency.

There's no hyperbole here, right? None at all? You folks don't invite confidence in your beliefs with such exagerations.

By experience, sometimes you do have to exaggerate a bit for the idea to be understood, in places like an audio forum where it's so very hard to distinguish yourself just with the means a forum provides...

But I disagree with leeperry's attitude of destroying everything that isn't a "Burson". :D

Last edited:
well listen to them! I will listen to the 1028ACN8 some of these days, so I'll speak from experience...for a change ;)

LT1364 is many ppl's favorite, there's some good reasons to that....but it's too distorted as AK4396 LPF to feed the Burson(see, I checked it myself and actually speak from experience ;))

I will get them soldered to the board itself probably(I'm waiting for a last few candidates to replace the 1124, just to be sure).

well listen to them! I will listen to the 1028ACN8 some of these days, so I'll speak from experience...for a change ;)

LT1364 is many ppl's favorite, there's some good reasons to that....but it's too distorted as AK4396 LPF to feed the Burson(see, I checked it myself and actually speak from experience ;))

I will get them soldered to the board itself probably(I'm waiting for a last few candidates to replace the 1124, just to be sure).

I've listened to a lot of LT chips, enough to feel entitled to predict that nothing can challenge the sound quality of the LT1028. Especially a slowish opamp with steeply rising distortion on the upper side of the spectrum, like the LT1124.

ah well, Violator is wonderfully mixed on SACD..the rest of their work...I don't really like, but gooodamn Violator in 5.1 lossless, that's something!

but don't you have better things to do -as a 2 billion dollars IC chips engineer- than post in this thread to mock ppl who like to roll op-amps? are you posting from your workplace? should I call your boss to let him know? I'm dialing right now

At 10:30PM, I think not. If you insist on being personal, I'll leave you guys to your fun.

I've listened to a lot of LT chips, enough to feel entitled to predict that nothing can challenge the sound quality of the LT1028. Especially a slowish opamp with steeply rising distortion on the upper side of the spectrum, like the LT1124.
most audio op-amp designs appear to carry a 50Mhz max GBW, and the stock op-amps on my card were also around 10Mhz....we both know that judging an op-amp from its datasheet doesn't work. Trebles are anything but distorted, or at least..far less than the 1364.

I've got four LT1028ACN8 and two browndogs, maybe I'll try them later today :)

Last edited:
most audio op-amp designs appear to carry a 50Mhz max GBW, and the stock op-amps on my card were also around 10Mhz....we both know that judging an op-amp from its datasheet doesn't work. Trebles are anything but distorted, or at least..far less than the 1364.

I've got four LT1028ACN8 and two browndogs, maybe I'll try them later today :)

No...actually it's Samuel Groner measurements I was implicitly mentioning.

Have a look at the "output linearity" graph for the LT1124 vs. say, that of the LT1115. And I believe the LT1028 should fare even better (judging by its higher level of transparency).

alright: http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/3802/10280.jpg

I don't seem to be getting the slight stereo imbalance I was getting w/ the 1363 and OPA-Moon/Sun-V2, so that's good!

I find the trebles very clean but less "High-Def" than the 1124 I think...and they're very much bass shy compared to the 1124.

makes me wanna try four AD797BN now, hopefully I'll receive them anytime soon :cool:

Last edited:
well, it's time you play my game now that I've played yours...get some 1124ACN8 and roll :spin:

trebles are much more HighDef, bass is far nicer to listen to and SS is awesome!

low THD doesn't mean jack(look at the LME49722MA), actually the lower the THD the tamer the bass IME...ok back to the 1124ACN8 ftw, this one will be hard to beat :p