The Best Movies Ever Made

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll just post what I think are the most underrated movies of all time, not necessarily the best, but the best movies you've probably not heard of:

"Tuvalu" by Veit Helmer. This absurdist comedy involves almost no speaking, so it isn't in any particular language, and doesn't need subtitles. An evil developer tears down a low-rent housing project, and a lovely young woman and her father must move in with a dysfunctional family running the local bath house. The bath house its self is slated for demolition, but the family won't sell. The developer has evil schemes to shut it down!

"After Life" released in Japan as Wonderful Life (ワンダフルライフ Wandafuru Raifu): In this beautiful, slow moving Japanese film, several recently-departed souls must stop at a "waystation" before going to heaven. It turns out that heaven is simply the re-living of one moment from the person's life for all of eternity. Before they can do this, they must choose the memory and re-create it. Fortunately, there is a small team of departed souls who've volunteered to stay behind and help to choose, and recreate the memory. The acting is so beautiful that I got choked up several times.

"The loss of sexual innocence" by Mike Figgis. This one's in English. It's a non-linear and rather hard-to-follow narrative about one man growing up and all the messed-up things that he did or that happened to him. It ends with a rather graphic depiction of the story of Genesis, which i think gave the movie an NC-17 rating.

"Ran" OK, you've probably heard of this one. It's my favorite of Kurosawa's films.

"Being John Malkovich" by Spike Jones is a rather silly comedy about a puppeteer who finds a doorway which allows people to exist inside the head of actor John Malkovich. Word gets out, and chaos ensues. John Malcovich plays himself.

"Better Than Chocolate" A fun lesbian love story about a young woman who has not come out to her family, and is living in the bookstore where she works. Her family is coming to visit, so she borrows an apartment from a friend so her parents will think it's hers. During the visit, she simultaneously tries to hide several secrets about herself from her family, prevents the Canadian government from shutting down her bookstore, protects it from homophobic vandals, and falls in love.

Others: "Run Lola Run" (German), "Fantastic Planet"(French animated), The "Trois Couleurs" series by Krysztof Kieslowski (Polish and French and some English). Antichrist (English). Do not watch "Antichrist" with your kids.

I still prefer the predecessor "Der Himmel über Berlin"/"Wings Of Desire". I'm not a declared fan of Peter Handke, but in this movie his poetry really enhanced Wender's work.
A few years ago there was a dreary Hollywood remake of "Wings Of Desire" with Nicolas Cage and Meg Ryan (!). Don't know its title anymore...

Hilarious book. The movies or TV series are best avoided.

Ah, yes, I can agree with this statement in the most full measure,
related books and films prepared from these.
There are pleasing exceptions however.
Now suddenly maybe One Flew Over Cuckoo's Nest I remember.
I do not know the series mentioned by me, you saw it?
If I remembered correctly, this that kind film was, that does not want neither to take away, neither to add to the book.

Gyuri

Two more...

I searched this thread for these two titles. Didn't find them, so I'm adding them to the list:

[1] Shampoo. I believe I am legally required to watch this at least once each decade.

[2] Barry Lyndon. Yes, a period piece with people in costumes and the supremely lame Ryan O'Neal as the lead. But oddly enough it's a Stanley Kubrick film, and he keeps you riveted through this film and actually makes you enjoy it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.