The Best Movies Ever Made

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Funny how the brain works, I joke about professional exterminators and next thing I find myself talking about Hitler. Anyway, good opportunity to recommend a GREAT and SHOCKING documentary film: Shoah. It's not for everybody, 9 hours long and... terribly depressing. I have seen it several times and still can't believe it. I go from being shocked to being depressed, I take a little break when I notice I'm starting to go insane. Really hardcore. Children and immature minds: stay away from this one.

A great film, but Lanzmann is a little heavy-handed in places and treats many of the witnesses poorly, particularly the so-called "bystanders". It's easy now to criticize the Polish people for having done nothing, but Lanzmann should have known better, since millions of non-Jewish Poles were sent to labor camps, were persecuted, or were murdered as well.

John

Yes, you can clearly see he's pissed off. Probably biased. :) You can also really see that the Polish workers who lived near the camps were very rudimentary persons. Not their fault if Nature made them that way (half-witted).

With Lanzmann it's hard to say whether he's so dialed-in to the Holocaust because he is Jewish (I understand he is really a secularist) or because his own philosophy compels him to demonstrate what rotten people people are.

John

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
With Lanzmann it's hard to say whether he's so dialed-in to the Holocaust because he is Jewish (I understand he is really a secularist) or because his own philosophy compels him to demonstrate what rotten people people are.
He joined the French resistance and fought against the Nazis. It's a question of character not beliefs. He's an atheist. Hearing some of the testimonies got my blood boiling too and i wasn't there....

Malediction, you changed your avatar!

Were there many Nazis in Auvergne during the war? I would think he spent most of his time in the resistance making trouble for the Vichy government.

I agree you with regard to the film itself. Though I haven't seen it since it was released, I'm still angry and will confess that it had a profound effect on me and the way I think about that stuff.

John

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Were there many Nazis in Auvergne during the war?
LOL. I've no idea. He's an intellectual so I guess he mostly did paperwork. A bit like Beckett, but I'm only guessing.

will confess that it had a profound effect on me and the way I think about that stuff
Previously I had seen Hollywood interpretation and read something about it but that was all. When I saw Shoah I was profoundly shocked. I spent three months researching about the holocaust. I had to know all the facts.

I read up till page 22 and nobody mentioned what was at one time regarded as a classic; High Noon. Aver wooden actor, Gary Cooper, but the development of the story and the timing was brilliant. Bullit had similar development of the story and I really enjoyed it.

Most movies that Stanley Kubrick was involved in were well worth watching.

I think Das Boot was brilliant. I tend to enjoy most of the French movies shown on S.B.S here and at one time there were some brilliant Yugoslav movies shown on New Zealand television. I prefer sub-titles to dubbing.

There was a Japanese movie about a boy/man who thought he was a train. I think it may have been black and white but it was great. Can,t remember the title.
jamikl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.