TH-18 Flat to 35hz! (Xoc1's design)

Also, one can adapt the Othorn geometry to be 40*40*24 with something like the Tham folding scheme and could use the 21SW152 with good results getting the same sensitivity as Xoc1 th18 but with a low corner of 27 hz so it could yield 2-3 dB over Othorn. Also if you would like to build at least 4 you could go a bit bigger to 45*45*28 same as 12Pi with single 21 or dual 15

I would give that a go too but im not that good with hornresp then translating the data to sketch-able parameters.

Im good with solidworks tho :spin:

Hi ProtoCNC,

Post #2421: "...Im good with solidworks..."

Well, it should be easy to enter the drawing of your preferred TH into your CAD program, and scale to the desired external size. Then you redraw the walls to reflect your desired material thickness,(es) and extract the dimensions of the horn for Hornresp.

A good second step is to draw a sideways view for your driver so you can get the driver area/volume contributions, i.e.: @ S2 and S4 in a 4 segment TH. This would help to determine the compression ratio... In AutoCAD you can then insert the driver as a block. This makes checking for fit and clearances easier.

A development (roll-out) of the horn path is also a nice thing to look at, without it it's easy to get S3 into the wrong place.

So, again Post #2421: "...give that a go..." :)

Regards,

Hi Osse i built this enclosure with there recommended drivers (18TLW3000) http://www.eighteensound.com/Portals/0/EnclosuresKits/18sound_18_dual_subwoofer_kit.pdf
Im using a MC2 E100 to drive the bass cabs (4ohm) along with some tops i made using there 15" enclosure design http://www.eighteensound.com/Portals/0/EnclosuresKits/18sound_15%202ways.pdf but i changed the bass driver in the tops for a PD153ER as i could not get the mid to sound how i liked. The PD driver was a vast improvement.

Eq is done my a DBX Venue 360 set to there recommendations on bass.

Music is varied from Dance, House, Drum & Bass to Jazz.

Certainly looks like heavy duty stuff you've got there.

Hard to understand what is lacking but get deeper response aswell as more punch at the same time sounds to me as a set-up failure with the x-over settings and/or eq.

Pardon me if it's obvious to you but I need to rule out all possible scenarios for the less-than stellar Soundstage you experience. Are you well aware on how to use your dsp? Just going with their recommended settings might not cut it with your top/sub combination for example.

I've never owned BR subs myself(only flh and th)

Its not so much deeper response but more punch, ive tried tweaking x over points and slopes and got the setup sounding ok. For anyone who listens to it thinks it sound good but im just fussy. Im pretty familiar with dsp and room tuning. I did get spoiled a few months bk listening to a void incubus system and that blew me away. If i could get a similar sounding system but scailed down abit id be one happy chap. Perhaps i just like the sound of horn loaded bass. Although void incubus bass stack is a folded horn bandpass hybrid so i would have no idea how to configure or start to moddle that.

Its not so much deeper response but more punch, ive tried tweaking x over points and slopes and got the setup sounding ok. For anyone who listens to it thinks it sound good but im just fussy. Im pretty familiar with dsp and room tuning. I did get spoiled a few months bk listening to a void incubus system and that blew me away. If i could get a similar sounding system but scailed down abit id be one happy chap. Perhaps i just like the sound of horn loaded bass. Although void incubus bass stack is a folded horn bandpass hybrid so i would have no idea how to configure or start to moddle that.

The problem might be your tops, they seem to dig down to about 60 hz while the subs seem to be able to play a fair bit over 100(even if they play with linear response to around 200 crossing too high is not too recommend). What if you would try a pair of tops that start to fall at around 110 with higher overall sensitivity compared to your lower tuned tops? Then you might get a higher efficiency system and better response due to the lack of overlap between the subs/tops.

Building new subs is not necessarily the best way to go in your case

Would love to hear the incubus rig some day!

Last edited:
I've been down this route already buddy. Its a shame we live so far apart as id show you and see what you thought. I think a massive problem is my unit that I run my speakers during my test sessions is far from ideal. All hard surfaces and all sorts or reflections having a massive roll in messing up the sound. Ive spent days eqing to get it to what i think is "ok"

Hello everyone
sorry for my bad English. I m french

I read this subject for a very long time and I find the result fantastic !

I will soon have 4 JBL HLA 4895.

Do you think 4 TH18 could fit under the 4 JBL HLA 4895? (Crossover 110/120 hz)

I have already 2 b & c 18 sw100. I can reuse.

Thank you for your help.

Have a good day

Laurent.

I have followed this thread off and on for the last 2 years. I really appreciate all of the work and effort that went into this design. I am on vacation next week and plan on building some subs.

I have been pondering going standard double 18 reflex, TH18, a custom streched TH18 I have been modeling and the Othorn. I am leaning toward the standard TH18 due to size, efficiency and output. I have some Faital Pro 18HP1060's that I am planning on using and seem to model well in the TH18. I will be building 4 cabs as that is about the max I can transport. My amp power is usually limited by the 15 amp outlet so efficiency is a big priority and realistically I will probably never drive them to their max. Given that I will be feeding lower power I will probably be a little lax on the HP, maybe 32hz @12db.

I play 95% pop and hip hop and occasional small live stuff. My biggest concern is that I will be disappointed in how low these go. I don't plan on playing 30hz dubstep but still want some of the lower fundamental overtones of some of the songs I play to still be there. I have a hard time figuring out how low something is in a song. Those of you that have built this and use it, could you tell me if it would have any trouble with the lowest notes in these songs?

I assume the TH18 will play this track and this track just fine.

This track has some occasional low dips. I assume that is a Function One system behind him?

I am not sure about this track.

Any opinions from people that have built them would be greatly appreciated. Also, how much would I realistically gain if I build LordSansui's version posted #2384 compared to the standard MK1? Thanks:)

Last edited:
None of those tracks are going to run out of low end on the TH18.

Here's something it won't do though.
https://soundcloud.com/krane/the-weeknd-party-monster-krane-remix
It's not going to do the 31hz low note at 2:18. The Othorn will. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the TH18.

If you're concerned, however, you can build a Keystone subwoofer. It has a similar frequency response to the TH18 but it's much easier to adjust the tuning on after it's built. To tune it lower, all you need to do is build a new front cover (or make some system to adjust a single one) and reduce the height of the Keystone exit. It may make the passband a bit more bumpy (may not be too noticeable but you can EQ it) but it will drop the tuning lower.

And yes, that looks like the very recognizable F1 Resolution tops.

Hi sonicXtasy!

Faital 18HP1060 is a good choice. i'm also following this this thread for over over 2 years. i simulated a Th18 with this driver. It goes down to 35Hz/-3dB. the lowest tones of 5-string basses are no problem for this design. Me and 4 other guys are bulding 36 pcs now together. The project is nearly finished.

36 of them? wow! I once put 8 stacked at war volume for testing, I want to escape the building they where in cause I thought the building was collapsing. and I couldn't last for 3 seconds 3m in front of it and thats with ear plugs.

I think it would be fun to have a heard of these in a small area. Of coarse I would also just love to build a pair of TH812's. Should be enough for my wants.:D