TH-18 Flat to 35hz! (Xoc1's design)

Speaking of old jbl gear how would a 2242 go in this th18? or are more modern drivers required. i have just acquired 4 nib. regards Greg

They still sell 2242, very expensive JBL 2242H 18" Maximum Output LF Driver 8 Ohm

• Resonant Frequency (Fs)35 Hz
  • DC Resistance (Re)4.7 ohms
  • Voice Coil Inductance (Le)1.25 mH
  • Mechanical Q (Qms)5
  • Electromagnetic Q (Qes)0.29
  • Total Q (Qts)0.28
  • Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas)10 ft.³
  • BL Product (BL)23.7 Tm
  • Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax)9 mm
  • Surface Area of Cone (Sd)1238.71 cm²

Hi guys,
What amps are some of you using to power these Xoc1's, I'm not looking to start a fight ,lol.
But what seems to be the better ones,
and another use tubes,mosfets or class D,ect.
My preference is good quality sound .I play hard rock and some metal .
Thanks for your input
NS

Last edited:
Depending on the drivers used, you need something with at least 1kW @ 4 Ohms. For Bass we use PKN or Linea Research M-Series, which both are Class-D Amps with a lot of power. If you are up for Sound, Linea Research is better.
Of course powersoft and many others do have Class-D with a lot of ooomph as well. Class-TD or Class-H are also suitable and have enough power. Class A / A/B or tubes don´t have enough power (in generall, of course there are exceptions, but they are very expensive or heavy).

I attached some pics to be easier to see the setup. I turned the subs upside down and I eliminated that 50 hz peak.

uploadfromtaptalk1465421552052.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1465421569387.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1465421591637.jpg

Good day to all the hard working people on this forum.
This question was asked by erknie but no reply. I'm also interested in the answer to this question as I use the same drivers.

What's a good (modern) full range box design which can achieve a decent SPL to complement the TH-18 (18LW2400) sub, for a PA application? Small dance techno venues.

This question was asked by erknie but no reply. I'm also interested in the answer to this question as I use the same drivers.

What's a good (modern) full range box design which can achieve a decent SPL to complement the TH-18 (18LW2400) sub, for a PA application? Small dance techno venues.

If it were me I would try the syntripp found on this forum, or an otop12 with CD driver from Bfm haven't heard em but would prefer syntripp by design.

The syntripp will probably outplay the 18lw2400 loaded TH18 by a large margin for techno but the Bfm be a closer match

Last edited:

MT121 should be pretty good

MT121 TDA

In post #2228 of this thread, jo bg says he used 18sound 12mb700 and nd1460 1.4" CD on xt1464 horns in the MT121.

Last edited: