TH-18 Flat to 35hz! (Xoc1's design)

Hi pabesco
The cutsheets are located at page 123, post 1223.
At page 162 you will find two examples of djm cone correction, easy to implement , maybe that could help with your excursion problem. Look also at crescendo solution and measurement.
A more drasric approach is the mk2, where the throat is modified to provide cone corrwction and the path gets elongated, though there's no plan or cutsheet, just sketches and you have to calculate your cutlist.

Hello,
I am also building a pair for 40-150Hz operation in my home theater used also for music.
If using the B&C-115 is it recommended that the cone correction as dgm designed (two board design)? I have learned in the databass forum that the tripple stack cone correction caused 50Hz problems. Questions about othorn,keystone, Xoc1 th18, DSL118 and others - Bass Gear - Data-Bass Forums
Also I am making a set of plans in Solidworks, so I will be able to share files with anyone interested.
Regards,

baffle cutout question

Hi
The b&c 18 sw 115 arrived so time to sort out the baffle cutout. There is not a lot of space for the t-nuts left if i cut the right sized 422mm cutout .
What if i cut the cutout a little bit smaller like 412 mm and cover 0, 5 mm of the woofer suspension? Would it get damaged?
Would this alter horn path, spl or extension?
We could sand it like in the picture attached if nevessary.

Or should i stop worrying and mount the t nuts close to the Edge of the cutout?
Thanks
Joh

Attachments

• IMG-20160428-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20160428-WA0004.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 762
Hi
The b&c 18 sw 115 arrived so time to sort out the baffle cutout. There is not a lot of space for the t-nuts left if i cut the right sized 422mm cutout .

FWIW, I believe you can make the diameter of the cutout about 2~4mm smaller without any sonic impact. Maybe even as small as the diameter of the first "peak" in the cloth surround as illustrated in your diagram. I'd better that the cone would have to reach way beyond Xmech in order for the surround to hit the baffle.

IMO, the published cutout dimensions for the driver are usually based on the requirement for the driver being mounted *through* the baffle, not on top of it. And consider that one minor leak around the driver can significantly reduce the low frequency capability of your TH.

Hi Luca. I think you are right, the two pieces djm correction was ment for 18sw115, the three pieces option for less capable drivers.
Im going to use the same 2 pieces correction with 18sw115. Thanks again to Marton, Djm, Crescendo and everyone who built and shared their findings.

Hello,
Is there any benefit to the mk2 throat and Q board longer design?
Any possibility to get the mk2 design via PM?
I am ready to start cutting,
Kind regards,

Sometimes silence is not a bad thing.

It does indeed look like a great measurement.

May I make a suggestion for further measurements.

Take a picture of the measurement conditions.

Many times the bumps and ripples can be easily determined to be surrounding objects and boundaries.

An even better idea would be to have a tape measure out that we can have an idea of scale in the picture.

Really let us dive into what is going on.

I can't calibrate the mic to see the sensitivity because i have gain control on the sound card input but with no scale to know where is 0 gain. But soon I will buy better equipment. What I can tell is that I cannot hear any difference between the output of the 2 but the measurements sais Danley go 1 dB more on a bridged K8. But also the K8 is more stable on 4 ohms than 8

A simple cheap SPL meter will get you close enough.

If your mic works don't chase a fancy mike for the reason of wanting to know the SPL level.

Ebay.

Or a plugin calibrated mic for your phone and the Audio Tool App.

That's what I end up using many times when I'm away from my test rig.

Parts Express has a great small calibrated mic that I think you can get on Ebay.

Audio Tool gives you SPL RTA and signal generator plus a whole lot more.

Dayton Audio iMM-6 iDevice Calibrated Measurement Microphone

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iaudiotool/id580740399?mt=8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.julian.apps.AudioTool&hl=en

https://sites.google.com/site/bofinit/audiotool

IMM6 microphone | eBay