TH-18 Flat to 35hz! (Xoc1's design)

Did a friend's birthday party and got many comments about how good the bass was! Was indoors so only needed 1 of my 2 TH-18's.

20160424_000106.jpg

hi
our two th18s are ready, and saturday we tested the system before doing the paint job.
As usual we had very little time before the dance to set up the system properly so we used crossover points based on the forum suggestions and set relative levels and equalized by hear... i bought a measurement microphone and got smaart to sort things out but still didn't find the time to do it properly in the open.
When i get some measurements i'll share them.

So the system consists of a couple each of xoc1 th18 loaded with 4 ohm b&c 18sw115, cubo kicks with 18sound 15d930 and mt121 with 18sound 12mb700 and nd1460 1.4" CD on xt1464 horns.
we run a couple of rental lab.gruppen fp10000q (8 channel total , 2100 w @4 ohm to each th18 and 1300 watt @ 8 ohm to each other driver) through a dcx2496, LR24 crossovers at 90 - 172 - 1.2, sub high passed at 28hz lr24.

I was really pissed off not having the time to measure and set up things, but after some fiddling with the eq, mainly to get rid of some boxiness at 250hz, tame the cd horn mids and bring some hf back it sounded sweeeet! no eq on th18...
Reggae music from roots to rub a dub to modern dancehall was played, and the bass was lush and full with good mids and treble, only the kicks didn't convince me fully, i suspect there's some phase aligning issues to be solved, but given how roughly we set things up and our little experience it sounded very satisfactory on the whole. The dispersion of the mid highs was also really good with no evident gaps on the dance floor, and good hf attenuation under the stack due to mt121 height. Very happy of the 18sound horns!
A friend who runs superscoops on a reggae sound system was surprised by the sound of the th18 , it was very clean and round, although we never really pushed them. Everybody liked the sound and noticed the improvement, but coming from a little active setup in the venue it's no wonder...
A girl came and said to me "I don't like reggae but with this system it rocks":D
and no ringing ears the day after...
We received a lot of positive comments and appraisals, so thanks to martin and everibody round here.

here are some pics, in the last one you will see Francesco at work, our carpenter friend who made this turn out so beautiful.

Attachments

• JZI_1098 small.jpg
    JZI_1098 small.jpg
    538.5 KB · Views: 656
  • P5060540.jpg
    P5060540.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 655
  • P5060532.jpg
    P5060532.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 588
  • P5070551.jpg
    P5070551.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 575
Last edited:
hi
our two th18s are ready, and saturday we tested the system before doing the paint job.
As usual we had very little time before the dance to set up the system properly so we used crossover points based on the forum suggestions and set relative levels and equalized by hear... i bought a measurement microphone and got smaart to sort things out but still didn't find the time to do it properly in the open.
When i get some measurements i'll share them.

So the system consists of a couple each of xoc1 th18 loaded with 4 ohm b&c 18sw115, cubo kicks with 18sound 15d930 and mt121 with 18sound 12mb700 and nd1460 1.4" CD on xt1464 horns.
we run a couple of rental lab.gruppen fp10000q (8 channel total , 2100 w @4 ohm to each th18 and 1300 watt @ 8 ohm to each other driver) through a dcx2496, LR24 crossovers at 90 - 172 - 1.2, sub high passed at 28hz lr24.

I was really pissed off not having the time to measure and set up things, but after some fiddling with the eq, mainly to get rid of some boxiness at 250hz, tame the cd horn mids and bring some hf back it sounded sweeeet! no eq on th18...
Reggae music from roots to rub a dub to modern dancehall was played, and the bass was lush and full with good mids and treble, only the kicks didn't convince me fully, i suspect there's some phase aligning issues to be solved, but given how roughly we set things up and our little experience it sounded very satisfactory on the whole. The dispersion of the mid highs was also really good with no evident gaps on the dance floor, and good hf attenuation under the stack due to mt121 height. Very happy of the 18sound horns!
A friend who runs superscoops on a reggae sound system was surprised by the sound of the th18 , it was very clean and round, although we never really pushed them. Everybody liked the sound and noticed the improvement, but coming from a little active setup in the venue it's no wonder...
A girl came and said to me "I don't like reggae but with this system it rocks":D
and no ringing ears the day after...
We received a lot of positive comments and appraisals, so thanks to martin and everibody round here.

here are some pics, in the last one you will see Francesco at work, our carpenter friend who made this turn out so beautiful.

I wonder if you did time align the kickbins, mids/highs to the TH18. Since you mentioned the kick did not sound right. Everything should be delayed about 9.6 (ish) ms to the TH18. Kick bins a little more back, i think around 6 or 7ms. (dont know path length of cubo)

We simed Xoc1 TH's loaded with Oberton 18Xb1500 drivers. Hornresp sims seems te be good so we build four of them. Instead of testing we used them directly this weekend for a classic early hardcore party (89/94 area) . It was running on two amps capable of 1200w per channel through a DCX2496. Filter setup BW48db HP @ 35hz and BW24db LP @ 104hz.

We had to delay the subs a bit to the mains. since the where side by side in front of stage a meter in front of the left and right stack. Later in the morning around 03:00 we slightly upped the HP filter to 44hz to make it whole sound a little bit more clean and also to give the drivers a little bit more cooling. Since it was hammering the eardrums from 22:00 till 06:20 in the morning.

We like the Xoc1 th18 a lot, and I love hornsubs for the reason they keep my amps cool and the amp lights green.

You can see the build pics in my gallery.

Oh I want to note that if you use them standing up with nothing on them. You need to put some rubber under them otherwise they will walk away. the sound pressure can really lift them from the floor!

If anyone want to see particular test data or want me to test things. Or you have questions about my build of the Xoc TH-18 do not hesitate to ask and I will try to do my best to answer them and generate data and post it here, I can test 1,2,3 or 4 in different stack arrangements and measure it.

Last edited:
HI
we did roughly delay the kick and mt, using the values suggested here for the th18 minus the kick/mt length, but the exact delay needed varies with cutoff frequency...
honestly i noticed it alone and it could have been anything from phase to reflections to ground bounce or simply bad crossover settings, it was all set to quickly... and already made us happy.
coming back with some measurement, we're going to set this up in the open at least three times between june and july so hope to get some good data.

how do you suggest to measure?
should i measure the individual cabinets in ground plane for single frequency and phase response or the whole system at ear height?
i'm more interested in tuning the system right so maybe it's better to measure the whole stack assembled to set the crossovers?
first timer here!

You should measure bass at ground level preferable outside open space to get a good baseline.
Measure at 1m (2.83v) or 75db if using db meter just one TH18. Set eq to set a bassic 'flat' response. use this as a baseline preset.

Next try stacks of 2 or 4. you can measure stacks at 10 meters 28.3v in different types of stacking, standing up, 2 mouth to mouth, 4 mouth to mouth etc.

Measure and see if the base eq of one is still needed if using 2,3 or 4 stack.
also try out different filter settings, like 24db/LR or BW HP and LP with stack configurations.

If you want to align kickbin to the TH, as test you can do a sin wave at the chosen crossover frequency, put kick-bin out of phase. delay kick-bin until the freq is getting lowest in volume. switch phase back and you should be pretty accurate in timing around the crossover freq.

This is how I would do it. Maybe other have better, other tips.

The modern designs trounce the old designs. Louder, lower, and lighter/smaller. In addition, much less cancellation and time delay issues. That said, scoops have a unique sound that is still considered the best choice for some genre like reggae...

The old designs are now considered mid bass horns in modern times. I understand where you come from being a fan of the EV W bins and playing in bands in 80-90's. I was apprehensive but once I built a Keystone I finally understood, these tapped horns are on a level above the old designs.

What's really cool that modern subs can do is is play tones 40-30hz or lower at PA levels with very low distortion. Without harmonics to locate the subs with, the speakers just disappear and you can get a reality-warping sea of LF energy.

Depending on what music you're working with, that may or may not be very useful. I'm partially convinced, however, that advances in LF transducer technology enabled EDM and bass music to become what it is today. Some of the shows are really an incredible experience.