Testing The BIG Waveguide

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is data from four waveguides I did which was inspired by Dr. Geddes.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1887771&postcount=3194
Data are in 7.5 deg increments to 45deg rotated approximately around the acoustic center.
Top three are small waveguide about 23cm in diameter at the point where lip is tangent to the baffle. Bottom is a large elliptical waveguide. More details of each are burried in the thread if anyone wishes to research.

Something seems odd - if a 12" waveguide is only good down to 1200 Hz, shouldn't a 24" WG only be good down to 600?

A 12 inch waveguide can go lower, the limit may be the driver used. I have loaded them to 800 Hz using a BMS 4550 driver with the waveguide mounted in a small rectangular baffle like I did with the 24" waveguide. Not many 1" drivers can match the BMS 4550 low frequency output.

"I really like the big wide sound stage that three speakers can generate. Using a center speaker greatly improves the sound stage and widens the listening area considerably beyond the center seat."

With directivity down to 400 Hz it should work really well to toe them and cross the axes in front of the listening position.

Have you tried this?

These things are tempting but there's no way I could fit a center underneath my screen.

What would you be using to create that center channel? Were you thinking of something like Bongiorno's trinaural processor?

My pre/pro has a choice of Dolby PLIIx, Neural THX, and DTS Neo:6.

I use Dolby PLIIx, panorama setting off, Dimension setting (rear level) to minimum, Center width = 1 (0-7 scale).

This paper explains how Dolby processing generates the center channel: Dolby PLII

Last edited:
In my experience, no center speaker is a non-optimal set-up, and one that is barely acceptable only for a perfectly centered listener.

These coherent, constant directivity, point source waveguides from 400 Hz up create a very impressive sound stage.
Only if there is material specifically recorded for center channel. There are so many aspects of speakers that probably 99% did not even consider.

Can you describe any advantages/difference you have with using a compression driver down to 400Hz instead of the more typical 1.5kHz range? (I'm assuming it's not just directivity) Thanks!

Constant directivity is a big advantage as the direct sound and the reflected sound field in the room have the same tonal balance.

In addition, the single point source waveguide has the potential to reproduce an accurate acoustic waveform. The playback is accurate in both the time and frequency domains for sounds above 400 Hz where the human ear is very critical. The crossover into the woofer is also less critical.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.