Testing The BIG Waveguide

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Very interesting.

What's the depth of the DDS?

I wonder if some of the response anomalies are due to the mike position - 2' away from a 2' dia WG seems awfully close.

Depth from the driver bug screen to the front baffle is 8.75 inches.

This is a short round waveguide and as such is not distorting the acoustic waves to be rectangular like many other horns. I am also measuring only this waveguide, not an entire full range speaker system. I have measured at several distances with the only significant difference being the room reflections messing things up at the greater distances.

The small on-axis dip in response at 4-5 kHz is inherent in these wave guides.

Update: I found an unfiltered data file of the waveguide response with the Radian driver and added it to an earlier post in this thread.

Last edited:
Hi Brad,

Very cool stuff. What bass driver are you going to use?

I have tri-amplified this Klipsch home theater system using DEQX signal processing. I will be able to switch between top boxes from Klipsch, to the BMS/DDS waveguides, to the Danley TD-2 unity horns.

That's a 1.2 klilowatt infinite baffle subwoofer under the center Klipsch LaScala II. There are six openings in the IB speaker stand on each side as well.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi Brad,
Earl had mentioned not being a big fan of the BMS compression drivers due to some polar response anomalies at the crossover point (~6K) in the coax compression driver he measured. I don't see anything liek that here though.

I did not use the BMS passive crossover and the BMS 4594ND is a newer improved driver. Bi-amping with digital x-overs and filtering makes building fantastic speakers very very easy.

I have shown data using a Rane RPM88. The filters are not at all optimized. Anybody can do just as well or better with a cheap Behringer DCX2496.

I have tri-amplified this Klipsch home theater system using DEQX signal processing. I will be able to switch between top boxes from Klipsch, to the BMS/DDS waveguides, to the Danley TD-2 unity horns.

That's a 1.2 klilowatt infinite baffle subwoofer under the center Klipsch LaScala II. There are six openings in the IB speaker stand on each side as well.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

If it's not too much trouble would you share the build/performance of the IB subwoofer in detail? It looks interesting. What kind/how many drivers? How are they mounted? What effect do the holes have? Dimensions, FR, etc?

Thanks

It's interesting that the foam plug seems to make the dip smaller.

Yes, I noticed that too. According to Geddes, the dip is caused by a defraction/reflection back into the waveguide at the termination radius where the conical section of the waveguide transitions into the baffle. That sound wave passes into and back out of the foam and is attenuated by it.

Last edited:
So will you be keeping the Foam Plugs in or taking them out for future listening?

Just wondering whether you like them more with or without the foam plugs.

If you do leave the plugs in, will you re-eq to make them flat out to 20K?

Dynamics must be mind boggling with your setup. I love it.

Do you listen to 2 channel at all with the DDS waveguides? If so, what is the imaging/soundstage like and how does it compare to the Unitys and Corner Horns?

Thanks

Just wondering whether you like them more with or without the foam plugs.

If you do leave the plugs in, will you re-eq to make them flat out to 20K?

Dynamics must be mind boggling with your setup. I love it.

Do you listen to 2 channel at all with the DDS waveguides? If so, what is the imaging/soundstage like and how does it compare to the Unitys and Corner Horns?

Thanks

The foam plugs seem to improve the sound but I have not done a rigorous A-B comparison. The fact that foam plugs flatten the on axis response some is reason enough for me to use them.

I will correct the loudspeaker response to flat using DEQX signal processing and then use Audyssey Pro to set the in-room response to a house curve that sounds good. Flat is definitely too bright for a house curve.

Yes, dynamic range is what makes it all sound so real.

I really like the big wide sound stage that three speakers can generate. Using a center speaker greatly improves the sound stage and widens the listening area considerably beyond the center seat. I listen to all two channel music through the front three speakers with Dolby processing to generate the center channel. Once you get the stage width settings set correctly the imaging is fantastic.

Right now I'm working with the Klipsch top boxes. The DEQX processing really improves them and the bass horns.

I only built one trial big waveguide baffle. With the tall ceilings, I'm going to tilt the final baffles back to reduce any floor reflection and aim that slight on-axis response dip just above ear level. I think the Klipsch horns, the DDS/BMS waveguides, and the unity horns will all sound great.

It will be some time before I have all three set-ups tuned and stored as presets so I can switch top boxes easily for a new sound when I feel like a change.

Last edited:
Using -6 dB as criterion, this appears to be a 45° horn.

What is the DDS directivity spec?

Is this product listed on their website?

This waveguide is not to be found on the DDS website. I tripped across it on the Assistance Audio site. Apparently someone ordered it as a special product in the past. It may have been designed by the customer.

Yes it is -6dB at 45 degrees off axis at 10 Khz, maybe 60 degrees at lower frequencies. Most people would call that a 90 to 120 degree horn. The geometry measures an included angle of 90 degrees in the conical part of the waveguide. The conical part is not very deep as there is a large radius forming the blend into the baffle.

How does one flatten the FR of the waveguide (using active xo)?

Is it using notch filter?

You are changing the electronic transfer function to get the desired acoustic response. Most loudspeaker control processors that perform x-over also include customizable parametric equalization filters. Basically you input a filter that is the inverse of the response errors to get a desired response.

Keep room EQ separate from loudspeaker correction.

If you are trying to flatten the on-axis notch that does not show up at all angles, then it cannot be flat at all angles. Earl Geddes has mentioned that as well.

That is true, however, I have never seen a speaker that is flat at all angles. You have to adjust for your seating position relative to the speaker.

Here is the frequency response of my Klipsch LaScala II top box with the factory passive x-over. Measured in the same manner as the DDS waveguide posted earlier in this thread. The dip in response is in the crossover region between the midrange and tweeter.

Klipsch Lascala II top box response

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.