Testing The BIG Waveguide

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good job hulkss! Big horns and IB subs...gotta love it! Good to see BMS got it together with the new coax driver.

What DPL settings are you using for music? Beginning with DPLIIx Music yes? Surround channel setup? I'm building a system with the ND-1460A in the LCRs but don't have it fully together yet and haven't played with the DPL settings.

Good job hulkss! Big horns and IB subs...gotta love it! Good to see BMS got it together with the new coax driver.

What DPL settings are you using for music? Beginning with DPLIIx Music yes? Surround channel setup?

I Have an Integra DHC-9.9 Pre/Pro. For music I use DPLIIx but I shut down the the four amp channels going to the rear and surround channels and just run the front three channels and the sub most of the time.

I have wide speaker placement so I turn panorama off. I set Dimension to -3 which keeps the sound field forward (remember the rears are off). I set the center width to 1 (0-7 scale). With narrower speaker placement 0 works well.

I said "significant physical offset of the radiation axes".

The Synergy and similar "Danley" horns are designed to have zero offset of the radiation axes between low, mid, and high sections of the horn. The drivers work together to act as a point source.

The Summa drivers are about 16" apart on the baffle. This is over one wavelength at the crossover frequency. Not at all a point source.

Here's a picture of one of my TD-2's with the cabinet back off.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

That's a good point, and one of the reasons I went with Unity horns in my car. My Summas sound fantastic, but they're noticeably better at a distance of ten feet or greater. In a big room they're breathtaking, but at a very close range (ie my car) I like the Unities.

It's also the reason I went with a Unity horn for my new Mame cabinet. With the speaker less than a meter from the cabinet, the Unity horn is the best option IMHO.

Here's the design thread, it's coming together slowly.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/153238-durango-95-a.html?highlight=durango

The Summa drivers are about 16" apart on the baffle. This is over one wavelength at the crossover frequency. Not at all a point source.

The non-coincidence will cause one or more holes in the vertical response, which will not be an issue if one is not too close to the speakers. Putting all the drivers on a single waveguide also has its problems, but they will tend to be right on the listening axis. "Point source" just for point source sake is not necessarily a good design tradeoff. The advantage of Tom's design is power handling and very high SPL, not smoothness of response and control of directivity.

I read several subjective comments about aluminum domes with mylar surrounds "sounding better" than otherwise equivalent titanium drivers. The subjective comments seemed to line up well with measurement data kindly supplied by the folks at 18Sound.

Among other things, I was looking for low distortion at LF because LF harmonics and IM products would fall in a very sensitive area. The aluminum drivers performed slightly better at LF...the titanium nitride drivers are better than aluminum at HF, but most of those distortion products are in an area of lower hearing sensitivity.

There is also info in "The Octagon" link as well as scattered throughout this thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.