Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

Zilla
Can you give the placement Dims for the internal baffle,
does it butt against inside front at top, and center up at the bottom,also how far is that board from bottom of enclosure.
are the dims on your illustration inside or outside measurements.

Here's a pic of the BIB with the Dayton PA130 driver installed. It's one of my favorite speakers! I love listening to it at the office all day long. Compared to the GRS speaker I'd been listening to (an 8" full range driver in a sealed box) it's much more musical. I'd describe this little BIB as sounding very harmonic and rich. For the price it's perfect (the driver is under $20). It has an easy going laid back presentation at low and medium volumes and can go louder than expected. It actually rocks! I'm using a Dayton T amp and my Droid phone as musical source.

It can sound delicate and portrays layers and layers of midrange goodness. It can also sound a bit grungy at times but i consider this part of its personality. Certainly a fun speaker that easily bounces sound around and makes you want to dance... perfectly at home playing Reggae, Rock or Classical. Vocals sound beautiful. I'm listening now and they sound so intimate and ghostly real with human voices.

Where it lacks is ultimate transparency and treble detail. It's very forgiving and the top end sounds rolled off (I have them slightly toed in so they are somewhat off axis). Over half a dozen people have given them a listen and all respond the same way, they look at the ugly, unfinished boxes and then the music comes on and their eyes POP open.

If you build them you might want to add a super tweeter. I may put one on the rear but for now, they are really pleasant on the ears and a speaker you can listen to all day long without fatigue.

The Fostex 127e fits the same opening and can be considered an upgrade if you want a bit more of a forward sound with added detail. I'd imagine the newer Fostex offerings will work in this size BIB too but haven't modeled them yet.

It's a tidy size that just tucks into the corners. If you are curious about back horns and want to build a simple one, this speaker is a great, inexpensive first project you will keep, and enjoy, for certain.

Zilla

Last edited:
>>> Can you give the placement Dims for the internal baffle, does it butt against inside front at top, and center up at the bottom,also how far is that board from bottom of enclosure. are the dims on your illustration inside or outside measurements.

The inside baffle is 46.5" long. Yes, it butts at the top (i went heavy on the glue and clamped to dry) and centers at the bottom something like 4.25" on each side/up from the bottom. Measure twice! Cut once! The center of the driver is down 20" from the top of the cabinet.

>>> I haven't even finished my EL70 iBiB's yet and I'm tempted to build these!! Under $20 a driver is a bargain

Well, i have not heard the EL70 but it must be somewhat better than the Dayton. The question is 'How much better?' In a small ported box tuned to 75hz the little Dayton was not impressive. In fact, i abandoned it's bigger brother (a 6.5" Dayton that requires a tweeter) bc i could not stand listening to it. The 5" Dayton comes to life in the BIB. It's not that much worse than the 'sweeter' sounding and more expensive Fostex 127e (I have future plans for this driver) and really gels in the BIB. The output out the top of the BIB really gels with the driver and rounds out the overall sound. It's not as detailed or delicate as the Fostex but the detail is there if you choose to listen for it. It just sounds very pleasant with a bit of a robust personality. This is one of the few projects i'd build again. It's a small inexpensive driver in a slim cab that sounds three times its size. It sounds like a ten inch woofer is hiding somewhere in the box. I look forward to cranking them up later this evening when i get back from the dentist and before leaving for krav maga! Btw, this is not even the optimal size for this driver according to the BIB spreadsheet. I built this BIB as a compromise to roll drivers in and out... I also have the 4" TB bamboo driver to try... unfortunately it requires a different hole size. I may not try it at all i am enjoying these so much. And don't forget, a tweeter can be added to improve the treble... i just have not had time to get to it.

Zilla

Zilla,

Have you ever experimented with displacing the angled internal baffle rearwards rather than spacing the drive unit forwards? ie, having the taper terminating at say an inch wide rather than reducing to zero in width?

It would reduce the angle of the quarter wave taper, I'm just curious as to what effect this might have/does have.

>>> having the taper terminating at say an inch wide rather than reducing to zero in width?
>>> It would reduce the angle of the quarter wave taper, I'm just curious as to what effect this might have...

hmmm, i wonder how much difference it would make if any at all if instead of bringing to a point we 'space back' and add .75"... keeping the inner baffle centered at the bottom like usual. It would eliminate the suprabaffle in many cases.

My site is temporarily down bc i am moving it to GoDaddy. It should be up in a couple of days. I tried to attach the BIB Calculator to this post but it's telling me the Excel file is an invalid file. Sorry. Please give it another day or two. I will call GoDaddy today to see what the delay is.

Zilla

PS. If anyone wants the BIB Calculator emailed to them feel free to send me an email at ZillaSpeakers@gmail.com.

Thanks Jeff

My site is temporarily down bc i am moving it to GoDaddy. It should be up in a couple of days. I tried to attach the BIB Calculator to this post but it's telling me the Excel file is an invalid file. Sorry. Please give it another day or two. I will call GoDaddy today to see what the delay is.

Zilla

PS. If anyone wants the BIB Calculator emailed to them feel free to send me an email at ZillaSpeakers@gmail.com.

backspaced BIB

Precisely my thought to do away with the suprabaffle. Better WAF, just depends what the impact is of reducing the expansion rate of the taper and not terminating it down to nothing....
Hi there: Back spacing the center baffle and removing the point will reduce the mouth area as calculated by the formulas presented by GM elsewhere. One of the methods to increase bass response is to increase the mouth area above the calculated area, so reducing the area shoud reduce bass response. Another way to increase bass response is to lengthen the path, ie increase the height. To gain width at the driver, you can combine your idea of back spacing with increasing the height, with out reducing the mouth area....regards Michael

Hi,
Just wanted to say that Box.net is good for this type of situation: https://box.net/ (It's $0 for any reasonable amount of data.)

I was able to crank it out by hand and believe me, if I can do it anyone can. I've rewritten the formulas to make them (hopefully) more clear. Hope this helps someone somewhere.
L=13560/Fs/2
zdriver=L *.217
Vb=(20*Vas)*Qt^1.25
Folded Height=L/2
Sm=(Vb*1728)/Folded Height
Depth=SQRT((SQRT2)*Sm)
Width=Sm/Depth
A-B-C=Depth/2

MJK BIB calculator

Hi, I haven't had the time to read all the entire thread, so my apologies if this has already been covered... but has anyone here used MJK (Martin J King)'s simulators for the BIB?

They're generally fairly accurate predictors for in-room performance for TL's, Bass reflex, TQWMLTL and OB's, as well as horns... so there's a pretty good chance they'll do well with BIB also.

If so, they'd be a real boon to those that want to build and experiment with BIB
Martin asks for a VERY reasonable $25 to access his worksheets, and they're pretty easy to use. Highly recommended.

Check Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design

Hmm, wonder which specs are more accurate, the current published ones or the measured ones from 2003 that specs a ~32% smaller net Vb/~2 Hz lower tuning, he ~rhetorically asks? Regardless, BIB rules when specs are 'unknown' and since current measured specs typically require an even larger cab, the BIB's built in fudge factor should be fine with the current published specs.

With such a short folded height, either floor loading or building it as an inverted straight pipe spaced up to get the driver up high enough are the two tried n' true ways, but with such a high Fs there's another alignment I've suggested, but AFAIK no one has been willing to gamble on it.

Copy/paste from my original Excel SS:

height (in) 74.508
depth (in) 6.537
width (in) 4.622
A-B-C (in) 3.268
driver offset (in) 32.337
driver offset - sub (in) 64.673
driver height (in) 42.922
driver height - sub (in) 10.585

L (in) 149.017
Sm (in^2) 30.216
net Vb (ft^3) 1.30286

baffle thickness (in) 0.750
zdriver 0.217
zdriver - sub 0.434
Fs 45.178
Vas (ft^3) 0.1589
Qts 0.49
SoS (in/sec) 13464.54

Basically, it's tuned to a 1/2 WL of the driver's calculated FLc. Not knowing for sure how well loaded it will be in-room, some form of EQ may be required to protect the drivers below ~40-50 Hz, but to my way of thinking it's a small price to maybe pay for the ease of build and tiniest practical 'footprint'.

GM