Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

Excited... started another BIB this weekend. I will be using the Fostex 127e that's been pretty much unused in this project.

http://www.zillaaudio.com/fostex-127e-slotted-box.htm

The above project convinced me this driver does not require a tweeter. I have also been considering a stand of some kind to try floorloading. I'm curious how different this BIB will sound upside down.

My new BIBs are coming along nicely... sanded one last night and it's looking good. They really have a very small footprint! Maybe this weekend i'll get some stain on them.

Zilla

Attachments

• BIB-bottom-stuffed.jpg
    BIB-bottom-stuffed.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 407
  • BIB-build.jpg
    BIB-build.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 403
  • BIB-clamped.jpg
    BIB-clamped.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 409
  • BIB-open.jpg
    BIB-open.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 396
  • BIB-top-stuffed.jpg
    BIB-top-stuffed.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 399
>>> Plain and simple.

Thanks Vix! Turns out the Fostex 127e and Dayton 5" full range driver fit the same hole.

http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/295-010s.pdf

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_components/pdf/fe127erev2.pdf

The BIB i built really suits the 126e but i wanted to try a smaller BIB and don't expect a world of difference. I'm curious how the much less expensive Dayton will perform.

Also, for some strange reason, i feel compelled to place a super tweeter on the rear. I will drill out another set of holes this weekend before staining.

The outside dims are approx 50" x 7" x 12"... it's a rounded measurement that worked with standard sized lumber (5.5" wide pine) to make things easier to assemble. I will play with flipping it over for floor loading and design a stand of sorts... or use something like this flipped over:

http://www.mandygregory.com/Classpics/MVC-013S.JPG

I think this size BIB will work with other 4" to 5" drivers including the 4" TB bamboo (that i also have) and the 4.5" Fostex 126e.

Just had a thought. Wouldn't it be beneficial for the baffelstep if you made the cab completely square (like 50 x 10 x 10)? That would give you a wider front and also bring the driver closer to the wall and or corner.
You wouldn't have to worry about BSC circuits.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be beneficial for the baffelstep if you made the cab completely square (like 50 x 10 x 10)?

??? I assume you mean high aspect ratio rectangular.

IME, it takes a ~30" wide baffle to negate BSC in most rooms which would make most 'FR' BIBs have a high enough cross sectional area (CSA) aspect ratio to add an acoustic resistance component that would effectively lower Fp for a given axial length, so with no software that can sim this AFAIK unless AkAbak can do it, it would have to be found empirically.

FWIW, I've built such 'pancake' shaped wide range woofer pipe horns, though no BIBs per se, and they all mightily impressed those who auditioned/wound up owning them, so definitely worth experimenting with IME.

GM

??? I assume you mean high aspect ratio rectangular.
I'm not sure what you mean. I'm talking cross-sectional square. Maintaining the same volume. Like in the measure 50 x 10 x 10. It's just pushing the front in a bit while widening the sides, making it square looking from above.

IME, it takes a ~30" wide baffle to negate BSC in most rooms which would make most 'FR' BIBs have a high enough cross sectional area (CSA) aspect ratio to add an acoustic resistance component that would effectively lower Fp for a given axial length, so with no software that can sim this AFAIK unless AkAbak can do it, it would have to be found empirically.

FWIW, I've built such 'pancake' shaped wide range woofer pipe horns, though no BIBs per se, and they all mightily impressed those who auditioned/wound up owning them, so definitely worth experimenting with IME.

GM
Do you mean a disc shaped sub-baffel?

I could imagine that going square cross-sectionally would have a few other advantages for a BIB. One of them being, that it would make it fit closer to the corner/wall, both improving the loading and visually not making it stick so much into the room?
Also it wouldn't hurt, I guess to have a little more baffle to load the mids?
Or is there a problem with this idea?

Last edited:
>>> 50 x 10 x 10...

>>> Or is there a problem with this idea?

In this particular case there is a problem. Remember, the BIB has an inner baffle. Already with my chosen dims the back of the driver magnet is obstructed by it. I will have to add an additional baffle in order to bring the driver forward... I've already cut the wood.

I must say, even my larger BIBs using 6.5" Fostex 165k drivers don't reach the lower bass like the H-frames using 15" drivers. So this idea of a BIB being too small is odd to me... The bass will either load the room better with the opening at the top or the bottom. Regardless, i believe a sub will be needed for deeper bass. In corners they may provide sufficient bass but nothing like the H-frames. Amazing as the BIB is for maximizing a small drivers (say 4" to 6.5") ability to achieve bass, I view them as excellent compromises for expanding a given full range drivers response (but not replacing dedicated sub woofers for ultimate bass performance), with a small footprint, larger imaging than more typical cabinets and a fuller, more dynamic sound.