Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

Video on Capacitor Resonance

I went from 0.52uf in my F208/T90A BIB to 0.54uf. I don't think I would go lower than 0.52. I don't think I would go higher than 0.54. This is just what my ears tell me. I may or may not try 0.53uf someday. I'm sure it would not make a big difference. But then again, it seems like a small "pea" can sometimes be the difference from really getting into the music, and not quite as much.

Hey, someone (Will48) posted a very interesting video about capacitor resonance a couple weeks or so back on the bottlhead forum. Here is the link

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2008/05/27/aes08-if-the-cap-fits-it-must-sound-better/

Sincerely,

Benjamin

Wow! Neat article. From the shape of the chart in the write up it seems like the BIB acts a bit like pushing in the loudness button.

From the beginning the BIB was never designed for perfection rather a way to gain maximum bass extension regardless of ripples in response. Fortunately, many DIYers have built and enjoyed the sound of their BIBs. BIBs allow full range driver fans to enjoy crossover free sound with bass! As a group, we've eliminated the stereotype that full range drivers don't do bass... in BIBs they do. If you like the sound and simplicity full range drivers offer, have two empty corners, love the sound of tube and other low powered amps, BIBs are a great option! They are the easiest 'back horns' to build and possess advantages such as dynamics, scale of image, ease of presentation, efficiency and bass extension that put them into an elite class of audiophile gear. Personally, I think they are one of the best ways to enjoy music of any kind.

I put the www.zillaspeak.com/bib.asp site together because i was excited about what others said about the way they performed and was trying to figure which one to build myself. I remember talking about BIBs with Terry Cain and feel he influenced everyone by building his pair years ago, having the guts to tell us all this design sounds great regardless of measurements. Scott, GM and others really got into it and truly motivated us all to build away. BIB builders form an active community of enthusiasts much larger than the small website i've cobbled together. We all love our BIBs!

Thanks for taking the time to write this Martin. Much appreciated! I hope you don't mind if i put a link to your article on my website.

Godzilla

With Lowthers?

Hi,

I've kept an eye on this thread for a long time. I wonder if there could be a BIB specifically designed for the Lowther C45. It is a sweet driver in OB, but corner-loading this driver might also be of interest...

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Godzilla said:
http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib-pics.asp

I've added a few more photos of fantastic BIBs.

Sorry if i have not posted your photo... if you want me to post your BIB photo please send them to me at

godzilla3@hotmail.com

Extreme BIB cabinet EnABL

loninappleton said:
Glad to see the bib thread is still going. There have been a lot of spin-offs which I think would be better handled within the thread.

G'day,

This is an extract from another thread that loninappleton asked me to put here some time ago.
Original thread is Extreme BIB cabinet EnABL
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I have been exploring application of the EnABL pattern to baffles, ports, mouths and inside speaker cabinets for over 12 months now.
This is a different process to the EnABL application used for drivers.

This is an extreme application of cabinet EnABL as I would apply it to a BIB.

Note that the blocks are NOT drawn to scale.

Here is an alternative for those of you who already have BIBs that are glued up or you just can't face the extreme option!

BLOCK MATERIALS
Materials that have successfully been used for cabinet EnABL include:
- PVC duct tape
- Norton 'All Weather Tape' - clear tape, thicker than duct tape
- Pin stripe tape

There are probably many other materials that are just as effective.

BLOCK SIZE
You will need to use the EnABL block size calculator.

For baffle and external edges
- enter 18 block pairs
- enter 4 x baffle width as the circumference.
The calculator with give you the ideal block size for the baffle and all external edges.

For the internal block size
- enter 18 block pairs
- enter 4 x internal cabinet width as the circumference.

For internal cabinet EnABL, I have laid the EnABL block pattern onto sheets of clear contact (self adhesive stuff you use to cover school books) and then stuck the sheets to the inside walls of the cabinet.
Alternatively, you may find it easier to cut strips of tape to the appropriate thickness, stick them in place on the internal panels, then cut the blocks with a blade.

BLOCK POSITIONING
Please note that the EnABL pattern needs to be positioned one block width from the edge of the panel

WHAT TO EXPECT
You're probably wondering what to expect sound wise?
Based on experiences
- lightning fast bass
- usually deeper bass
- clearer midrange
- a 'no box' sound
- cabinets will almost disappear sonically - more than you would ever expect with something the size of a BIB!
- oh and you may find that you will need to change the amount and positioning of stuffing.

Cheers,

Alex

Thanks Alex from Oz.

I am still skeptical about the EnaBl treatment.

But I know that there has been a raft of writing about it. Enable surpasses the Bib thread in complexity and jargon if not length.

;)

But the BIB thread is Terry Cain's legacy and so it continues indefinitely with all the meanderings of mods and whatnot.

Even though I'm skeptical I have some drivers I want to do but haven't gotten my kit from Ed yet.

loninappleton said:
Thanks Alex from Oz.

I am still skeptical about the EnaBl treatment.

But I know that there has been a raft of writing about it. Enable surpasses the Bib thread in complexity and jargon if not length.

;)

snip ....

Even though I'm skeptical I have some drivers I want to do but haven't gotten my kit from Ed yet.

Lon: one hear is worth a thousand words.

? for Scottmoose

Scottmoose said:
Having finally thrown off (most of) a cold, I've finally been able to roughly complete the new pair of boxes with the original dimensions. Roughly, because 1) The materials I used as an experiment haven't worked as well as I'd like, and 2) I reckon that the larger drivers want a bit more breathing room. It has, however, allowed me to try out the FF165K in the load.

Oh me of little faith. Again. Until I built my first pair, I didn't believe this cabinet design could work, and I was delighted to be proved wrong (always nice to learn something new). Now I didn't think these drivers would work, and I've been proved wrong again ;-) They do work. And how. The limited Xmax doesn't appear to be an issue, and according to my cheap SPL metre, in my room at least the response just isn't rising at all; not with EL34s driving them at any rate. I suspect that SS amps could need some series resistance, but that's going to depend on the room and amplifier. Very little ripple too. They'll nicely complement my ML TQWTs built to Martin's Project 2 design. I'm a happy camper. Oh, the bass-end? These things shake the furniture. You feel the low frequencies in your chest, and there no boom; it sounds almost like dipolar woofers.

My dimensions for the cabinet using the FF165K -this is what I'll be building for them anyway after thinking it over for a while and deciding not to wait for those Craft Manuals:
-Box height: 68", Total line-length: 136", External box width: 8 1/2", External box depth: 16 1/4", Baffle centred at 7" from base and 7" from front and rear internal baffle walls, Driver centre mounted at 36" from the base. Any thoughts on build materials guys? MDF alone isn't optimum, I was thinking of a good ply of some description, but a decent hardwood perhaps, if it can be acquired in the required sizes (I'm in no position to build up panels)?

Cheers for now
Scott

PS: Has anyone else tried placing an acoustic guitar on a stand between a pair of speakers when listening? If you haven't, and there's one in the house, try it. Rather enlightening when listening to John Williams.

I know this is a old post but just curious if you ever made these. I have some 165k's and I would like to try them in a bib.

Thanks ,Jim