Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: reply to dave

geetarman said:
I'm in Edmonchuk ... didn't u used to live here? i seem to recall your name from ages ago.

I grew up in Stettler & spend 4-years in Edmonton at U of A. My legacy would have carried over to London Stereo (on 122nd st (?) which was started by a couple of my compatriots after i left for the left coast to work at Sound Hounds.

dave

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102787

plaketokofths said:
I have a 12" car sub.
It is the peerless 830515, xls series.

you can see some specifications in here

I' m thinking to make an enclosure for home use.

I 'm a bit experienced making enclosure for cars.

I 'd like from you some ideas to make this home enclosure and to choose the suitable amplifier.

PS. I' m really sorry for my bad english, I hope that you understand me. Thank you in advance

Greets!

Your English so far is fine, certainly better than many of my illegal alien neighbors or my Greek, which is zero.

With its relatively low Qts and high Le, a simple 'BIB' pipe horn seems a reasonable option if a ~70 Hz XO is acceptable:

L = ~233"
Sm = ~187.28"^2 (recommend ~11.5" W x ~16.28" D)
zdriver = ~50.55"
A-B-C = ~8.14"

Dimensions are approximate, so you can round them up as required. For basic layout: http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib-howtobuild.asp The sim shows no stuffing, so they perform much better in-room than the sim indicates once damped to suit.

Not familiar with what amps are available to you, but a decent quality prosound amp with an F3 < 5 Hz will be fine for HT and the few available VLF music, special effects CD/DVDs. If for music only, a 10 Hz cut-off is acceptable for most folks. As for how much power is required, you never want to clip the amp, so how efficient the sub winds up being, how loud you want it on average and how much dynamic headroom is required will determine it. Check with the I.B. subwoofer crowd for recommendations: http://ibsubwoofers.proboards51.com/index.cgi?

GM

Attachments

• peerless 830515 (xls 12) t.c. bib tapered sub.jpg
    peerless 830515 (xls 12) t.c. bib tapered sub.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 660
planet10...that's a big BOO- TAY

Dave, i believe we've met in the past, but it's been so long now i'm sure we wouldn't recognize each other. maybe i'll put it to the test & take a trek to the island one of these days.

but first, onto the BIB. Thnx to this forum, i've finished the plans for a short, an inverted short and the optimal tall FF165K --- decided to drop the tall build and just build prototypes of the 2 short versions. we've got the mdf, the duct seal, the drivers, and a set of fosters should the need for tweet augmenting arrive. next comes cutting time. i guess i should make plans for more modest power - 200 w monos will be extreme for these babies... i'm thinking maybe Trends TA10.1?

later,
don

Hi!
One neighbor of mine have heard my BIB's but he wants a two way. I had my eyes on this Monacor bass/mid for a while. Now the question is, if tuned to fs, will the dip move down also? I'm afraid it will have less "smack" in the bass drums then.
Next question, is it possible to have higher tuning than fs. If so what's the down side?
Just looking at the graph (know that's not all;) but it's a start) it look real good up to 6kHz for a hard cone.

Cheers

Hi!http://www.monacor.de/de/produktseite_monacor.php?artid=2079&spr=DE&typ=u

1) Yes.

2) Yes, quite a lot are. In practical terms, they simply don't go as low as they otherwise would. There are other matters too of course, but they're more of a technical issue.

FWIW, I hate kevlar cones. The midrange presentaion on every single on I've heard is vile. Harsh, screechy, hard, forward, whatever subjective phrase springs to mind really. Their objective measurements are good, subjective sonic properties less so. Paper, carbon-fibre & poly cones tend to be much better to my ears.

peterbrorsson said:

Now the question is, if tuned to fs, will the dip move down also?

Next question, is it possible to have higher tuning than fs. If so what's the down side?

Just looking at the graph (know that's not all;) but it's a start) it look real good up to 6kHz for a hard cone.

Greets!

The 3rd harmonic dip is primarily a function of Fp, so at 30 Hz, the dip would move up referenced to T.C.'s alignment.

You can tune it however you like with the understanding that it will begin to roll off at ~SQRT(2)*Fp/4th order (24 dB/octave) and that the effective Fp is a variable based on room/boundary loading, so hard to accurately predict.

FYI, that plot is probably so smoothed it's virtually worthless WRT how it sounds. A satellite view of earth looks pretty smooth too! That said, there's a lot to like about super rigid diaphragms because it allows lots of fine tuning options for folks who like the heart attack fast transients of compression horns, electrostats. Consider that the pioneers of speaker design chose phenolic and aluminum for horn drivers and phenol/creosol loaded paper compressed under high pressure/heat into as thin, rigid, damped a diaphragm as practical for point source drivers with up to a 12 kHz BW for a 300 - 800 Hz 2nd/order XO to minimize the differences between them for a near seamless tonal 'blend'.

Bottom line, unless Monacor did the fine tuning damping or you're willing to do it, you'll probably have to use a fairly low XO point and/or steep slope to keep listening fatigue low.

GM

GM,
Thanks for reply!

The 3rd harmonic dip is primarily a function of Fp, so at 30 Hz, the dip would move up referenced to T.C.'s alignment.

So the dip will roughly be around 90-100Hz?

A satellite view of earth looks pretty smooth too!

Most women look pretty smooth after 7 beers also
:D Joking aside, when compared with the other Monacor stiff cones, these looks much better. Some people in Germany rave about the sound from them, but as always???

Oops!
Missed your reply Scott. Thanks!!

FWIW, I hate kevlar cones. The midrange presentaion on every single on I've heard is vile. Harsh, screechy, hard, forward, whatever subjective phrase springs to mind really. Their objective measurements are good, subjective sonic properties less so. Paper, carbon-fibre & poly cones tend to be much better to my ears.

Agree with you but there must be an exception in Kevlar like you have in Aluminium as Jordan and Neofone.

I heard a RCF 5 inch kevlar bass/mid few years back which sounded excellent up to 5kHz but it's not produced anymore.

Thinking also about this one

http://www.monacor.de/en/produktseite_monacor.php?artid=4084&spr=EN&typ=u

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: planet10...that's a big BOO- TAY

geetarman said:
Dave, i believe we've met in the past, but it's been so long now i'm sure we wouldn't recognize each other. maybe i'll put it to the test & take a trek to the island one of these days.

That would be cool... attached is a flashback to 1973 (now a lot less hair, but pretty much the same attitude) when i was living in the apartment block on the SE corner of 112th & Whyte Ave... i spent a lot of time at the swimming pool too (swimming, guarding & instructing)

i guess i should make plans for more modest power - 200 w monos will be extreme for these babies... i'm thinking maybe Trends TA10.1?

The Trends is on our short list of reference D-amps (ref as in a lot of other people have them too)

dave

Attachments

• crazy-dave500.jpg
    crazy-dave500.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 597
This is the one I rate from the Monacor range http://www.monacor.de/en/produktseite_monacor.php?artid=2083&spr=EN&typ=u -I've heard it & it's a typical carbon-fibre cone: nice & neutral sounding. Output is crisp & nicely damped, so there's little fatigue over long sessions. There might be some good kevlar cones, but as of this time, I haven't heard any, and I've heard a lot, including £10,000 B&Ws.