Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

For reference, this is the displacement graph for the Eminence Delta woofer in the pipe GM designed. I've posted here, rather than on the FR forum, as it's a pain trying to post graphs there.

Attachments

• eminence displacement.gif
    eminence displacement.gif
    6 KB · Views: 688
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
chrisb said:
Unless you're John in CR, the cost of exotic hardwoods for large BIB or metronomes can easily surpass even architectural grade Appleply, :D and of course unless humidity conditions are well controlled, I'd be concerned that movement / warpage might be an issue as well.
Who's John in CR? :xeye:
Is this a joke?
ok, maybe it's better to use BB with an exotic veneer (is this the right name?) :D

I've tried square, octagonal and round, but been waiting to try something like a vertically oriented golden ratio ellipse (major axis = 1.618 x minor)
Btw square , octagonal and round which did you find audible better?
........nice idea with the ellipse. That's what I have in my mind too. But I didn't know that there is a golden ratio. :angel:

Nihilist said:
Thanks much !

Concerning BIB's , I've read that the response could be smoother if the drivers location is @ about 40% of line length , but that a different percentage is typically used to raise the driver to a more appropriate ear level.

Is this true, and if so , which driver location is the graph based on ?

How much does the "proper" location smooth the response ?

Thanks again.........................Blake

Greets!

You're welcome!

Hmm, it's probably optimum for some alignments in some rooms, but as a general statement it doesn't work for me since experience has taught me that it typically needs to be somewhat lower with a simple pipe horn. The trade-off though is that you raise F3 considerably if you don't increase its length and I assume some/all of the 'OB' like presentation some experience will disappear as a consequence (I never built a BIB per se), so no 'free lunch' here.

Anyway, it's based on the BIB's (L*0.217), which happens to put it near/at face level.

GM

GM said:

» FullRangeDriver Forum
» Can someone give me some BIB modeling help?

L = 138"
Sm = ~330"^2 (~15.25" w x 21.625" d)
zdriver = 30"
a/b/c = ~10.812"

GM

hi GM

if it is not too much trouble, could you model for coral beta 8?
below are averaged measurements of 8 drivers that i found somewhere online in an excel sheet for the beta 8.
109.97 Zmax
7.89 Re
56.57 Fs
0.28 Qts
3.88 Qms
0.30 Qes
93.41 Vas
7.09 Mms
1.15 Cms
8.10 BL
99.19 Spl
5.32 no
28.43 r10K
9.86 r1k

thanks!

Originally posted by resident

Who's John in CR? :xeye:
Is this a joke?
ok, maybe it's better to use BB with an exotic veneer (is this the right name?) :D

John is a very accomplished DIYer residing in the tropical rain forest of Costa Rica, and regular poster to numerous forums - unlike myself, he's certainly no joke :angel:

As I'm not comfortable enough with my joinery skills to fabricate a cabinet as large as any BIB from solid hardwoods, the plywood case with post laminated veneer is my preference, although my tastes are more pedestrian (i.e. cherry / walnut / maple/and mahogany) than tropical exotics. Aside from pine, the aesthetics of which I'm just not a fan, it's also generally far cheaper than solids.

Btw square , octagonal and round which did you find audible better?
........nice idea with the ellipse. That's what I have in my mind too. But I didn't know that there is a golden ratio. :angel:

Well, the square is certainly the easiest to build, even when thickly built up and bevelled as in:

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FH/images/austin-A126.jpg

and with the minor front "wave guide", these have sounded the best so far.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Hi Chrisb,
You're totally right about solid hardwoods! I'll build the BIBs with Birch Plywood with post laminated veneer. I'll check some veneers and I'll decide which I'd like. Cherry, walnut, maple, whatever. I'm not crazy with exotic stuff :D
My question was more done to ask if there is another good choice to build the BIBs than birch plywood.
I got confused with some manufacturers that said that their cabinets are made with "exotic" woods. Suppose that they said that they are using exotic veneers and not solid exotic hardwoods.

Very nice cabinet over there. And the suprabaffle looks awesome!

And sorry if I confused you or I was rude but I'm not good with english........ :clown:
........and I was born in London Ontario :) but 5 years old my parents came to Europe.

djn said:
It always seems to me that Pine would make a good cab. It doesn't seem to ring, it is cheap, and it takes color stains well. Cheers.

Cheaper and _straighter_ than pine boards
are these things I found at the local big box hardware
place called menards.

They are edge glued butcher block strips made into
shelving 12 in by 72in. I made my BIB using those for
side panels (untrimmed except for height) and particle
board for the front, back, bottom and internal divider.

Because of glue up stock there's practically no warpage
and 'ringing' or whatevs would be canceled by the
non linear glue ups board. The panels look pretty good unfinished
as well.

I'll see if I can locate a pix....

Nope couldn't do it. If there is interest, I'll write down the
manufacturer next time I'm in thestore. PM me or something.

I'd like to use this same system to make a bib for the
FF165 after all the raveups Godzilla has given the driver
and then compare the FE127e BIB with that.

Finished !!!!

I did say RED .....

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here they are, I am pretty happy with them. The red is awesome, I used Transfast cardinal red. I then coated them with shellac. I am not great with shellac, and wish I had used a satin poly, I think it would have gone on smoother. I am planning on adding a some black trim moulding around the top to finish them off.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

As you can see, my gear has alot of DJ components. Right now the turntable and laptop are running throught the mixer, then to the "all in one", then to the speakers.

Hows it sound ???? Better than it used to. Very full and round. You can see my old speakers ... Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 .. which are really pretty good for $100. But the BIBs blow them away.

Slowly I will be upgrading other parts of the system. Bottlehead amp soon.

Room placement ???? Is what it is. Small apartment with no two symetrical corners due to stairs and shelves.

Right now ... Albert King - Live Wire is sounding just perfect.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Very nice to see them in context. The photos give me an idea. When it come time for new kitchen cabinets, get custom, and have the cabinet maker build a pair of BIBs to match! Love the color. The black trim would look very good. At the top it will cut down resonance too. At the bottom it will mostly look cool. You might consider getting some actual molding for this. They would then look like classical columns. There are also more clean and modern moldings available.

dmason said:
Moulding. Crown moulding on top is exactly what I have thought about. Imagine wedgewood gray BIB's with crown moulding on top. The Pillars of Rome, indeed. Respighi would sound all the better thru 'em... great looking speakers.

I have, left over from the original wood ripping session, 2 strips of 3/4" x 3/4" x 8' baltic birch. I plan on cutting it with 45 deg mitered corners for the trim. You can't really see the bases, but they are painted black also, so this will get some finishing trim too.

Heres the base.