• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tentative EL84 SE Design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gavin, this will save you some work. I (and many others) have already desgined, built, and use single-ended EL84 amps. There's no need for you to reinvent the wheel.

Here's my attempt at it, and I used it every day for 2 years, until I made my 71A amp. It is a good amp, and will work well for you.

Attachments

• simple6bq5_se2.jpg
    simple6bq5_se2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 553
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
I BITE.

Hi,

Ok. I'll bite. Which driver tube would you use Frank?

Since:

a)I doubt you need the high gain of the 12AX7A...

b)That is not a very linear tube...

c)I would use something like a ECC99 or 6H30,a 6SN7 would be fine too.

d)You probably use a preamp with gain to burn anyway...

That's the figure for pentode.

Yes,and from what I understand that is how he wants it.

The alfabetman, ;)

G

Joined 2002
What is your opinion of a 12AT7 Frank. Also when I look at the data sheet it says to put 250 volts on the plate and the screen for class A1 operation. It doesn't mention the screen in the class A1 triode operation example. What gives?

G

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
FIRST COME FIRST SERVE.

Hi,

What is your opinion of a 12AT7 Frank

One of the better noval tubes...like it...so does David Manley.

It is one that is reasonably linear and still has a lot of gain + a lowish output impedance.

I would understand if you don't want to use its' octal counterpart the 6SL7 which sounds even better....since you're using the noval EL84/6BQ5.

It doesn't mention the screen in the class A1 triode operation example.

I assume you're talking about the 6BQ5?
Well the screen is tied to the cathode in triode mode...that's why they don't mention it.

Ciao,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002

Hi,

Just had a look at the datasheet.

It seems a fine tube to me.

Full credit to Joel for digging it up...ssssht,let's keep it under wraps or the price may skyrocket.

It seems to fit the bill perfectly so if you can lay your hands on a dozen it would last you a lifetime.
And at a buck a pop?
Very few tubes can be had for that kind of money nowadays...and this is actually one you can put to good use!

Now if it has graphite plates I'd get some for my stash anyway.:cool:

Thx Joel,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.