Technics Class A Biasing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jkeny,

yes. i wish to build a tube driven hybrid amp. i am considering aikido topology for front end. aikido, perhaps, topology is a quantum leap in tube design. why not try something new. However, I have simulated a dc coupled tube hybrdid op-amp for this purpose. I had krill in my mind while I did the concept. It's nothing new, but gives some sense of creation.

while i was doing this i got another idea for hybrid . i believe you don't need actual tube amp to somehow mimic tube sound. in this regard i found Don's triode emulation idea quite intriguing.

Atiq

Attachments

• transformer-coupled%20aikido%20line%20stage%20amp%20ver%202.png
    transformer-coupled%20aikido%20line%20stage%20amp%20ver%202.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 299
i think gary pimm already done bench testing of his swenson regulator. no, i didn't try it. but i would go with garry's recommendations.

BDT is a versatile pre-amp. Beam defelection tube. I wonder how does it sound compared to DHT triodes. One good thing about BDT is that you can combine DAC i-v converters gain into it. However, transformer is the loose cannon in this design. those custom made transformer will cost u a fortune.

aikido topology is insensitive to supply regulation. so wouldn't think about intensive regulation.

here is my initial idea for hybrid op amp. bottom resistors will be replaced by CCS made of IXCY HV regs. I am learning spice simulation since begining of this month. so there might be some error. I mean it is not tested on work bench.

Attachments

• hybrid op amp.jpg
    hybrid op amp.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 303
atiq19 said:
i think gary pimm already done bench testing of his swenson regulator. no, i didn't try it. but i would go with garry's recommendations.

BDT is a versatile pre-amp. Beam defelection tube. I wonder how does it sound compared to DHT triodes. One good thing about BDT is that you can combine DAC i-v converters gain into it. However, transformer is the loose cannon in this design. those custom made transformer will cost u a fortune.

I've built the GP/JS reulators and have most of the BDT preamp completed (I did buy the trafos from Dave Slagle - cost me €200 for a pair but JS says cheaper trafos can be used even PS toroids).

What attracted me to it was it's quirkiness & the reports from JS on it's wonderful sound ( I don't think it has any similarity to a DHT tube). The fact that I wanted a good balanced front end for a Zeus amp also influenced me. It also avoids the signal going through a pot for vol control as it is directly adjustable via the voltage on tubes screen grid (9V can be run off a battery). Also acts as a near perfect phase splitter.

What's your idea of DAC i-v for it? Tell me more

A friend has a couple of Aikido preamps & they are excellent - I'll be pitting the BDT against these.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.