Technics Class A Biasing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks atiq19,
This site shows Dynamic crossover distortion well & this is what is eliminated in the biasing scheme you asked about. Seems like a worthwhile improvement to me but Andrew & Bob both seem to criticise it because it's not class A according to Andrew (so what) & it still leaves static crossover distortion according to Cordell.

I'm just trying to get Bob Cordell to say how important this static distortion is in the scheme of things? For instance, I understand that it's not frequency dependent which is a good thing as the ear can easily accommodate itself to some level of distortion which doesn't vary (with frequency, etc).

So is the bias scheme being criticised unfairly? Do we need to operate purely in highly wasteful Class A to eliminate a minor non-issue?

I haven't got holistic knowledge about this static + dynamic cross-over distortion phenomenon and their relations to signal variations. this is the first time I have seen such a distinguished answer from Mr Cordell. Best of my knowledge, this area hasn't been investigated with stringent measurement techniques, so far but I may be wrong.

Anyway have a look at the original site:

http://www.angelfire.com/ab3/mjramp/index.html

I think Mr Renardson is not relying only on flimsy non-switching criteria rather he devised some improved feed-forward error correction technique originated in Quad Current Dumping amps.

The whole issue needs to be revisited, I believe.

Cheers

sorry,

my poor writing skills.

I meant, 'such a distinguished/decisive answer from Mr Cordell on this matter'.

I wouldn't bother about class A, B, AAB etc. Class A is class A. I am a low carbon consultant by trade. I wanted to see some innovative solutions to class A amps whereby efficiency could be improved without much compromising to sonic performance. I thought it has already been done so many years gone passed for Hi-fi R&D.

I can't remember now but I have seen some measurements done on non-switching class-B amp by someone. I will post it if I can find the article.

Basically, measurement shows clear improvements(less spikes etc.) under reactive load connected to the modified class-B amps.

later..

atiq,
Thanks for the links - I see you're keen on investigating this topology. Like you I also intend to use a Tube preamp, in my case a John Swenson BDT preamp and I will be trying out various output stages including Steve Dunlap's Krill, Susan Parker's Zeus, a Baby Huey tube based amp & possibly Gary Pimm's Solid state pentode (SSP) - (if I have big enough heatsinks)

I see you discovered Swenson's/Pimms voltage regulators - have you used them yet? Are you building them on boards? I'm also using these for the BDT & will be needed for the GP SSP. I have some nice boards - if you need a layout, pm me

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.