TDA7492 Amp

Hello, I'm interested in the 7492 amp. My previous experience is with the lunch amp 7297 and red board 3116. I think the 7297 is musical and sounds natural. The 3116 is more accurate but sounds dry in the stock form, in my system. If I put the 6N3 preamp in front of it, it sounds nice. I guess I like warmer sound and more emphasis on midrange and bass. Do you think 7492 will be the right amp for me? One of my speakers is 6 Ohm rated, I will use this as a benchmark amp my speakers, so I expect it to be able to drive 4-10 Ohm load comfortably. SPL and loudness is not my priority, in fact I prefer something that brings out a lot of detail in low volumes. I'm looking for a complete amp, and I'm looking at the SMSL and Indeed offerings, leaning towards the Indeed amp.

I'm still looking out for finished amps with TDA8932, the nearest to a dedicated amp on Taobao is this one https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.31.fqKEbN&id=45025302100&ns=1&abbucket=13#detail.

I have a couple of these, whilst they're not Bluetooth they are a bargain at the price, sound is fairly decent. The power supply though which the vendor supplied with mine doesn't have the right plug on it.
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.31.fqKEbN&id=45025302100&ns=1&abbucket=13#detail

Last edited:
Thank you for the very informative post!
Why do they run hotter though even though same 90% quoted efficiency?

The quoted efficiency is specified at high power, and consist of load dependent and load independent losses. At high power the load-dependent part is dominant, but when you use it normally the average power output is very low, and only the load-independent loss (idle loss) presents, what is higher than in TPA...

If you want to know the idle loss of reference design, and if it is not explicitely specified, then you can read the power level at 50 % efficiency, and this will be very close to the idle loss.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
What is your first choice from TPA3116, TPA3118, TDA8932, TDA7498, TDA7492, TDA7297 and which board?
Thank you!

1. TPA3118 PBTL mono block Sanwu blue board circa $8ea (needs gain lowering mod) good up to 40w for low distortion.
2. TDA8932 Sanwu mono, circa $4ea (use as is works fine but lower power)
3. TDA7498 big black heatsink, vol pot, circa $12 (if you need more than 40w, this is good)

I see no reason for why you can't use an input trafo with the 7492. I've used one with the TDA8932 which has a similar differential input.

You might be able to eliminate the input coupling capacitors too, if your trafo has a CT. It would be something of an experiment though - there are two pins on the device which might be suitable for connecting to the CT, VREF (pin 34) or SVR (pin 29). I'd suggest measuring the DC voltage on both and comparing it to the DC voltage on the input pins. If either of them has the same voltage then they'd be suitable as a connecting point for the CT and the input caps can be eliminated (shorted).
i finally managed to run the TDA7492 with lundahl 1540 input transformers
(all input caps went out , output transformers without center tap )
also changed induktors to 33 uH /5 A (for 8 ohm speakers )
replaced the stock elco with 2x chemicon KZH ( ultra low ESR)
replaced 220 nf filmcaps on the output with 220 nf/ 200v ceramic
The sound is fantastic , it is my best sounding D amp so far
Maybe i will do the snubber mod in the future

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
i finally managed to run the TDA7492 with lundahl 1540 input transformers
(all input caps went out , output transformers without center tap )
also changed induktors to 33 uH /5 A (for 8 ohm speakers )
replaced the stock elco with 2x chemicon KZH ( ultra low ESR)
replaced 220 nf filmcaps on the output with 220 nf/ 200v ceramic
The sound is fantastic , it is my best sounding D amp so far
Maybe i will do the snubber mod in the future

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Good work! Sounds like quite the amp. Why replace film caps with ceramic? Isn't film generally better and more stable? If going to ceramic make sure it is np0 or c0g.

1. TPA3118 PBTL mono block Sanwu blue board circa $8ea (needs gain lowering mod) good up to 40w for low distortion.
2. TDA8932 Sanwu mono, circa $4ea (use as is works fine but lower power)
3. TDA7498 big black heatsink, vol pot, circa $12 (if you need more than 40w, this is good)

I'd like to buy a few of the 8932 boards, is there a way to tell which of them on ebay should be a decent supplier? Of course, at the price point, I could easily order a few extras.

hey,

anyway how to decrease the input gain? i checked for hours the datasheet and the board but find any solution...

Which chip? Which board?

Page 24, Section 6.2 of the datasheet for the TDA7492 covers it, but different boards probably have different accomodations for setting gain, ranging from pin headers to having to lift a pin, cut a trace or add a bodge wire.

Last edited:
I highly recommend this seller:
! Digitale platinenmodul 35 watt mono verstrkermodul High power TDA8932 geringer stromverbrauch in Hinweis: die neue Spurhaltungszahl fr China-Pfosten Gewhnliche Kleine Packet Plus nur knnen es haben Schiff aus Ch aus Integrierte Schaltungen auf
It was one of the fastest shipments i ever recieved from aliexpress.
When i contacted the vendor he told that he only sells the 'T-version' of the chip and that held up for my order.

All you guys should give the sanwu TDA7498 a try.
It sounds very good and powerful.
The build quality is not as good as on other sanwu amps, but it is still good.
The onboard gain setting via a dip switch works flawlessly.
I do not like where the volume and rca sockets are placed, but that might be a problem only with they way i use them.
The output filters sport through hole components, so matching them to other speakers would be an easy mod.
This amp actually sounds so good, that i didn't listen to any other amp for some weeks now.

http://de.aliexpress.com/item/TDA74..._7&btsid=d46e609c-4fbd-4592-a775-37321d04c56b

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I highly recommend this seller:
! Digitale platinenmodul 35 watt mono verstrkermodul High power TDA8932 geringer stromverbrauch in Hinweis: die neue Spurhaltungszahl fr China-Pfosten Gewhnliche Kleine Packet Plus nur knnen es haben Schiff aus Ch aus Integrierte Schaltungen auf
It was one of the fastest shipments i ever recieved from aliexpress.
When i contacted the vendor he told that he only sells the 'T-version' of the chip and that held up for my order.

All you guys should give the sanwu TDA7498 a try.
It sounds very good and powerful.
The build quality is not as good as on other sanwu amps, but it is still good.
The onboard gain setting via a dip switch works flawlessly.
I do not like where the volume and rca sockets are placed, but that might be a problem only with they way i use them.
The output filters sport through hole components, so matching them to other speakers would be an easy mod.
This amp actually sounds so good, that i didn't listen to any other amp for some weeks now.

TDA7498 Klasse D 2X100 Watt Dual Channel Audio Stereo 80 Watt + 80 Watt Digitale Verstrkerplatine Modul freies Verschiffen in           TDA7498 Klasse D 2X100 Watt Dual Channel Audio Stereo 80 Watt + 8 aus Ver

Thanks for the tip. That looks good indeed. You are always giving us good tips on where to find a decent sounding 7498 - seeing this is from Sanwu - we know they are good at great tight layout design which keeps the sound clean.

For $12 how can you go wrong?

Does it sound better than the black heatsink 7498 we have been using?

Last edited: