TDA1541 S1 listening problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
chlo said:
Replace all Elna Cerafine in analog stage of your CD880 with Panas FC, you may like the 880 more! I really hate these Elna caps, most CDP from Philips and Marantz uses them in analog stage. I removed them all and put Panas in, sounds much better!.

Chlo,

ok, what about good 1µF MKP ?

Also throw out the 3 Cerafines from TDA1541 5V -5V -15V supply pins ?

Still my 304 sounds a very little better, I even put 2 4556 in my CD880 for the headphones and kicked the 5532 out to come closer to the sound of the CD304.

Bernhard

zygibajt said:
Have you guys tried non-os mode in those Marantz and Philips players?
This is some 4-th or 5-th time I try it (tried it today again),and again I don't like it.
Everybody seems to like it ,and I just don't know what is the problem with me.

:xeye: This is the 100th time I put the S1 in my player and I don't like it.
Everybody seems to like it ,and I just don't know what is the problem with me. :xeye:

No, I did not try non OS , instead of finishing my DAC, I do mods on my CD880...

Bernhard

Isn't non oversampling reverses the phase? Did you switch the speaker wires?

I don't know about that,but there is very little diffrance on my GC when I switch the speaker ends.

You shouldn't feel too bad about it, you are not alone. It just seems that way.

Thanks.

The non-os sound always seems to me dirty and cloudy.
Some chaos is getting into the music.It is better in some respects,but can't listen to it,makes me tired.
Maybe I will try with separate DAC.

Bartek

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
zygibajt said:

Philips uses CDM 2 with brushless motor,which I think are much better than those from CDM 4.
But I had that motor in my CD65MKII,too (you might know this one ,but if not ,send me an e-mail and I will tell you how very easily to have much better transport in CD65MKII).
Have you ever seen CD65DX? Almost the same,but might be a little diffrent.
Do you have schematics for CD 65MKII?
And If yes,would you be so kind to send it to me?

Bartek

Hello Bartek, I have CD65DX as well but I never looked into the differences as its only purpose is to be a spare cdplayer.

I think your mod is to fit CDM2 motor in CD65, isn't it ? Heard of that before but I never did that. How do you connect motor control to the mainboard of CDM4 based cdplayers ?

Sorry, I don't have the schematics, I use one of the Philips sister models.

Jean-Paul

Peter Daniel said:
They sound somewhat mellow, but don't present the brightness other electrolytics posses.

Do you think that electrolytics as decoupling caps give more brightness ???

I was thinking because of loss of capacity @ high frequency they should sound darker, compared to foil.

My CD880 still got a very small amount of brightness that I do not like. In any case I believe that. It is very difficult to say, but when I change to the CD304, I got the impression that it is a little darker and highs are little bit smoother, and it is always right.

I just put a socket for the 1541 in the CD304 and will try S1.

The CD304 got 14 smd chip caps for the 1541...

chlo said:
Hi Bernhard,

ok, what about good 1µF MKP ?

Do you mean 14 de cap around 1541?.

Also throw out the 3 Cerafines from TDA1541 5V -5V -15V supply pins ?

I normally changed all of them wherever they are in!. you can try 20V 100uf here!.

Cheer,

No, I meant 1µF MKP for decoupling of the opamps.

I have already 1µF MKP for the for the -15V supply and the 14 decoupling caps of the 1541.

+/-5V is still Cerafine.

Also there are another 7 Cerafines on board which I believe are also connected to the 15V rails and might be decoupling of the volume control ceramic board. So if Cerafine spoils sound they might still do.

I like to try the 1µF MKP also for the 5V supply pins of the 1541.

It is very hard to solder if parts are connected to the groundplane. :(

It may be worthwile to experiment with different caps types, as I found that in even in digital supply capacitors swapping makes a difference. And some electrolytics are more bright and harsh than others. IME, Nichicon Gold and Cerafines were less bright sounding than other types. I found Sprague Extralytics especially bright, quite a disappointment as I always thought about them as a premium grade.

Just draw a schematic of the CD880 output stage from the pcb and I found a strange transistor 2N4859.

Any idea what it is for ?

There is 1,5kohm in the feedback loop of the I/V converter opamp.
Parallel is / should be 5,6nF.

Now they put the BE junction of the 2N4859 in series with that 5,6nF cap.
C of 2N4859 is connected via 4,7Mohm / 100kohm in series to V+.
From where 4,7Mohm / 100kohm are tied together, it goes another 4,7Mohm to the other channel.

jean-paul said:
It's the standard deemphasis circuit switched with a FET.

Never seen any non os circuit with deemphasis.
Is it necessary ?

Can I throw out all parts, except X1 & R1 ?

Attachments

• cd880 output stage.jpg
    cd880 output stage.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 459
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.