TDA1541 S1 listening problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jean-paul said:
If there would have been a pincompatible upgrade for SAA7220 I would probably never have tried non os ;)

What about SAA7030 ?

It seems to provide 4fs, left right separation and binary offset / twos complement choice.

Could that be good for the L+ L- R+ R- thing ?
Is output format 14 or 16 bit ?
It was designed for the 1540 14bit DAC chip.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Bernhard said:

In my CD880 A and B Versions work both with all kinds of 1541 chips, no problem.

Isn't there a cristal near the 7220 ???
Can I bypass all 3 lines ?
Would be easy due to the socket.

I will try some good silver mica.

You're right about the crystal. Since I always use low jitter clocks I omit the crystal anyhow. With the original crystal you can bypass the lines as found on the web or here but you need the SAA for oscillator purposes. The influence of a low jitter clock is quite shocking in these cdplayers. Best advise is to use a low jitter clock whether the cdplayer be non os or os. I stand by my opinion that it is 50 % of all mods in cdplayers when done right and fed with a clean ( read separate ) supply.

You can use a choke as found in for instance CD80 and the like. Even better is a separate 7805 ( or better ) just to feed the SAA if you want to continue with it. Please check the 5V line with a scope to see what SAA does with that line.

Do you have any idea why when I exchanged SAA7220P/A for P/B version in my Philips CD 304MKII the player doesn't work? DAC chip is changed from TDA1541 to "A" version.

Bartek, I did the replacement of this combo too long ago to remember what the exact changes were. Please refer to a schematic of a cdplayer with the TDA1541A/SAA7220P/B combo to see what's different from the original schematic of your cdplayer with the non A version. I don't have any cdplayer with the non A version and I don't collect those either ( that also counts for CDM 1 machines ).

About the OSCON, I use older SA series with the white print on it and ferro wires since I was able to buy them quite cheap. The market prices of OSCON are high and because of that I have not tried any other series. The low price I paid keeps me from complaining about the ferro lead wires ;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
FWIW I have the opposite experience regarding the TDA1541/SAA7220P/A combo. The newer combo is better in my ears. A/S1 is slightly better than A and A/S2 really is the best. I recently fitted one A/S2 in a heavily modded ( by myself ) CD80 and I was pleasantly surprised. The higher price prevents me from buying more of those but they are the best there is for me in the TDA area.

As I understood Elib still has S2 in stock so take the challenge ...

I did not compare the chips with the better coupling caps yet.

Have all TDA1541A been through the selection process ?

The plain 1541 has not been selected, so everything is possible if you have one of these chips.
Could be very good or very bad.

Or did they put better ones in the more expensive players ?

The CD304mkII did cost 2000 DM. That's a lot...

Just took TDA1541a S1 Q Selection out (which I took from CD80) and put TDA1541 back in well modded Philips CD960. After listening for two days I put TDA1541a S1 Q Selection back.

The TDA1541 sounds very noisy, dark, less detail, bass is fat. In contrast, TDA1541a S1 Q selection sounds cleaner, lively, a bit brighter, more detail and bass is solid and well control, music presentation is almost same as TDA1541.

Bartek, CD80 has 1 TDA1541a S1 Q Selection, and Cambridge Audio CD3 has 3 TDA1541 I believe.

Chuong

chlo said:
The TDA1541 sounds very noisy, dark, less detail, bass is fat. In contrast, TDA1541a S1 Q selection sounds cleaner, lively, a bit brighter, more detail and bass is solid and well control, music presentation is almost same as TDA1541.

For my ears the TDA1541a S1 Q selection and 1541A sounds too bright.

S1 silvercrown is closer to 1541.

Still have to compare with the new caps.

Bernhard said:
I listened to my CD304mkII again today,and it still was better compared to CD880. (Plain 1541 in both players.)

More relaxed and open sound :( , more air and bigger sound stage. :bawling:

What else could it be if not the DAC chip ?

Pulled out the 7220A from the CD650 and plugged it into the CD880 and:

:D :D :D

Sound is now the same like CD304 and CD650.

No doupt, the 7220B is crap. Old 7220A is better.

I would be happy if somebody could compare them too and confirm it here :rolleyes:

Now new shootout between DAC chips :clown:

Attachments

• saa7220-00a.png
    saa7220-00a.png
    80.2 KB · Views: 574
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
zygibajt said:

I used separate discrete analog stage with no electrolitycs in signal path (happen to have about 2mV DC offset at both channels)

Thanks Jean-Paul for the answer.

What is your current main player that you are using?
Is it CD 80 or CD-3 from Cambridge Audio?

Just curious.

Bartek

Never had a CD80 ( I just work on them ) and the Cambridge is no more :bawling:

It took me too long to repair and there were too many faults so I used the parts. Still have the pcb's and unscratched frontcover for anyone that would like to have spare parts for his/hers CD 3.

I am back for a while to my old modded Marantz CD65 Mk II plastic box, sometimes I use a Philips SAA7321GP 1 bit machine. The latter is unmodded ( but will be modded in time ) but even in original state it is OK ( for a 1 bit machine ;) ). The other CDM4 cdplayers I have are just stock and since I have enough spare parts I think I will sell the models that I am not *very* enthousiastic about. I sold my newlike Sony CDP-X3000ES because I did not use it ( although sound was good ) and I am again looking for other cdplayers as usual.

Even though I had some expensive cdplayers I always take the cheap types seriously as sometimes they can be better than their more expensive brothers. Sometimes I listen to an unmodded 100 Euro machine for a month as it can work refreshing. IMO it is good to take a hobby not too seriously just once in a while.

Bartek, CD80 has 1 TDA1541a S1 Q Selection, and Cambridge Audio CD3 has 3 TDA1541 I believe.

CD3 has SAA7220P/B and 4 pcb's with TDA1541A and uses 16 x Fs. BTW the Q selection = S1.

I am back for a while to my old modded Marantz CD65 Mk II plastic

Hey,I know them very well!One time I had three of them.Sold two of them modded a bit.I still have one but recently switched all mods to Philips CD 650 as I found it sounded better less modded (might be just diffrent).Philips uses CDM 2 with brushless motor,which I think are much better than those from CDM 4.
But I had that motor in my CD65MKII,too (you might know this one ,but if not ,send me an e-mail and I will tell you how very easily to have much better transport in CD65MKII).
Have you ever seen CD65DX? Almost the same,but might be a little diffrent.
Do you have schematics for CD 65MKII?
And If yes,would you be so kind to send it to me?

Bartek

Hello Bernhard,

Replace all Elna Cerafine in analog stage of your CD880 with Panas FC, you may like the 880 more! I really hate these Elna caps, most CDP from Philips and Marantz uses them in analog stage. I removed them all and put Panas in, sounds much better!.

Cheer.

Bernhard and others!

Have you guys tried non-os mode in those Marantz and Philips players?
This is some 4-th or 5-th time I try it (tried it today again),and again I don't like it.
I didn't put low pass filter on my separate analog stage but also,I'm using full range drivers (just looking for the supertweeters) that have very little output above 15Khz.
Everybody seems to like it ,and I just don't know what is the problem with me.

Bartek

zygibajt said:
Bernhard and others!

Have you guys tried non-os mode in those Marantz and Philips players?
This is some 4-th or 5-th time I try it (tried it today again),and again I don't like it.
(snip)
Everybody seems to like it ,and I just don't know what is the problem with me.
Bartek

You shouldn't feel too bad about it, you are not alone. It just seems that way.

ray.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.