TDA1541 S1 listening problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I started building Feddes schematic, DDDac schematic with only one DAC, on peter daniel posted, and got not much voltage / and or bad THD. So i made the test for resistor value with pots. There is nothing speacial different with my circuit, and i build it more than once: one for test signe device, and a second constiting of two identical only one of them inverted.

The D1 stage is easy to trimm to every voltage at the output you want to see. Also it looks (see test) like it could handle positive and negative current also. (without the buffer Fets) and else, what about cap coupling the DAC to D1?

For the measuements: It would be difficult to make a scope picture like the posted one without the DAC representing exactly that waveform... and for absolte very low values with computers FTT i don´t know. But relative minimum is relative minimum. So the only thing questionable i do see is the resistors value at Vref, right?

Please start your own thread for your 1543 crap

Listened to all of them via headphones.

Best: 1541 from CD650.

2nd best: Chip marked S1 & silvercrown from bulk purchase.

2nd worst: Chip from CD880 marked S1 and sticker "selected Q".

Worst: 1541 A from Grundig CD 903.

About the 1541 from CD650:

The male and female voices sound darkest with this chip, but still have same amount of highest highs and best transparency.
Contrast between dark and high sound is best.

Tomorrow I will pull out the plain 1541 from my CD304mkII and listen to them.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Re: Please start your own thread for your 1543 crap

Bernhard said:
Listened to all of them via headphones.

Best: 1541 from CD650.

2nd best: Chip marked S1 & silvercrown from bulk purchase.

2nd worst: Chip from CD880 marked S1 and sticker "selected Q".

Worst: 1541 A from Grundig CD 903.

About the 1541 from CD650:

The male and female voices sound darkest with this chip, but still have same amount of highest highs and best transparency.
Contrast between dark and high sound is best.

Tomorrow I will pull out the plain 1541 from my CD304mkII and listen to them.

Why should I start a thread about "my" TDA1543 crap ? I prefer TDA1541A over TDA1543 but implementation is a lot more difficult. The thread went into this direction and sometimes life is like that. Besides that all has been said about those chips. It is more a repetition of things said earlier. That also counts for TDA1543 of course. When I want to look up info I just search in the old threads and find what I need instead of starting a new thread. Sometimes I save all info in one document and make a pdf of it for future reference.

BTW you haven't even answered if you listened to TDA1543 non os at all as I asked you some posts ago and also in another thread IIRC. It is likely that you have an opinion from just looking at the datasheets. I certainly don't like the rude headline.

Concerning TDA1541A: Listening to cdplayers via the headphone output can colour your findings. Philips is not very famous for making good headphone outputs. NJM4560 is used often and that one is worse than the ones used for I/V and filtering ( Most of the time LM833 ). It could very well be that the cdplayer you prefer has NE5532 instead of NJM4560 in it which can be the cause for better results.

jean-paul said:

I certainly don't like the rude headline.

I said "please". Is this rude ?

No, I did not listen to 1543 in non os mode.

But all the 1541 I ever heard were not in non os either.

So, if the 1543 will be better non os, the 1541 will be better again in non os also.

When I listened to 1543, I did not have data sheet...

I plugged all 4 chips in my CD880 which got 5532 for headphones.

So same conditions.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Bernhard said:
No, I did not listen to 1543 in non os mode.

I had that feeling already. So you post in several threads without even having ever listened to it in non os ? How can you possibly comment just looking at datasheets ?

So, if the 1543 will be better non os, the 1541 will be better again in non os also.

This might be true in theory but it is a lot more difficult to screw up things with 1543 than with 1541. So expect good to very good results from 1543 earlier than from the other one.

Looks exactly the same for all 4 chips.

1 kHz sine from test CD, Cursor @ 2 kHz, all chips show -39dB or -38.9dB

Is this realistic ?

Attachments

• tdadist.jpg
    tdadist.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 526
I listened to my CD304mkII again today,and it still was better compared to CD880. (Plain 1541 in both players.)

More relaxed and open sound :( , more air and bigger sound stage. :bawling:

What else could it be if not the DAC chip ?

Pulled out the 7220A from the CD650 and plugged it into the CD880 and:

:D :D :D

Sound is now the same like CD304 and CD650.

No doupt, the 7220B is crap. Old 7220A is better.

I would be happy if somebody could compare them too and confirm it here :rolleyes:

Now new shootout between DAC chips :clown:

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
From an old thread:

TDA1541A versions will work on either SAA7220A or B

TDA1541 version ( non A ) needs pin 4 to be connected (internal reclocker). It really depends on implementation of a cd player if pin 4 of TDA1541(A) is connected to BCK for example or not.

No doubt, the 7220B is crap. Old 7220A is better.

They're both not too good really. Remove it ( be it P/A or P/B version ) and bypass datalines and enjoy the sound. If there would have been a pincompatible upgrade for SAA7220 I would probably never have tried non os ;)

When you want to continue with the chip please feed it from a separate supply and decouple it with OSCON or a cap with RF qualities. It is responsible for the garbage on the 5V line now. Just replacing the original cap with OSCON 100 uF 20V sometimes nearly halves the garbage....

jean-paul said:
From an old thread:

They're both not too good really. Remove it ( be it P/A or P/B version ) and bypass datalines and enjoy the sound. If there would have been a pincompatible upgrade for SAA7220 I would probably never have tried non os ;)

When you want to continue with the chip please feed it from a separate supply and decouple it with OSCON or a cap with RF qualities. It is responsible for the garbage on the 5V line now. Just replacing the original cap with OSCON 100 uF 20V sometimes nearly halves the garbage....

Jean-Paul,

Can a RC (or Choke-C) filter work on this chip?
This is something I saw many times in CD players, but only on the opamps.

Can't we do this on a digital chip?

I would be happy if somebody could compare them too and confirm it here

I compared them some time ago (I think it was in CD 650) and my guess is that SAA7220P/B is better.More relaxed,but the diffrance isn't that big.

Also compared DAC's and I think TDA1541 is worst,sounds kind of poor.TDA1541A is better ,more relaxed,cleaner ,better imaging.
And TDA1541A/S1 is still much better,much more detail and better imaging.

I think comparing this DAC's it is important to have good PS,and some good analog stage.Also the speakers and amplifier have to be good (reveal a lot) to hear those diffrances clearly.

Jean-Paul

Do you have any idea why when I exchanged SAA7220P/A for P/B version in my Philips CD 304MKII the player doesn't work? DAC chip is changed from TDA1541 to "A" version.

Which series fof OS-CON's do you usually use?

Bartek

The CD880 is sticked with Cerafines :D

3 for the 1541 :D

2 for each 5532 :D

6 around the volume control chip :D

And for each fixed output to which is connected the headphones amp,
2 for each in series, negative pins tied together :mad:

To compare with the CD304mkII, i removed them and put 10µ ERO 1860 MKC axial + 15n orange Siemens KP.

Sounds now as good as the moddded 304.

jean-paul said:
From an old thread:

In my CD880 A and B Versions work both with all kinds of 1541 chips, no problem.

Isn't there a cristal near the 7220 ???
Can I bypass all 3 lines ?
Would be easy due to the socket.

I will try some good silver mica.

zygibajt said:

*I compared them some time ago (I think it was in CD 650) and my guess is that SAA7220P/B is better.More relaxed,but the diffrance isn't that big.

**Also compared DAC's and I think TDA1541 is worst,sounds kind of poor.TDA1541A is better ,more relaxed,cleaner ,better imaging.
And TDA1541A/S1 is still much better,much more detail and better imaging.

***I think comparing this DAC's it is important to have good PS,and some good analog stage.Also the speakers and amplifier have to be good (reveal a lot) to hear those diffrances clearly.

Bartek

*This is funny, for me it is the opposite.

**Again funny, for me best is 1541, second S1 silvercrown, then S1 with Q sticker, worst 1541A.

***Yes. Did you remove the output electrolytics in the CD304/CD650 ?

Bernhard said:
The CD880 is sticked with Cerafines :D

3 for the 1541 :D

2 for each 5532 :D

6 around the volume control chip :D

And for each fixed output to which is connected the headphones amp,
2 for each in series, negative pins tied together :mad:

To compare with the CD304mkII, i removed them and put 10µ ERO 1860 MKC axial + 15n orange Siemens KP.

Sounds now as good as the moddded 304.

what's this volume control chip? Is it the DVR-03? (a small pcb)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.