TDA1541 info

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
another question on the TDA1541A..

Hi all,
I'm playing with a TDA1541A and have noticed a odd behaviour from one chip: as soon as I apply power it sounds distorted but when I start checking pin voltages with my oscilloscope as soon as I touch pin 17 sound becomes OK and stays like that.

It looks like the DEM oscillator has troubles starting the oscillation.... btw I use a 470pF cap.

This happens with a chip dated 1994, while another chip dated 1997 works fine....

Any clue about that?

Cheers

Andrea

tubee said:
Cap to perfect, allmost no leakage? Maybe adding a bleeding resistor to gnd of 1 or 2 megs.

Err... do you mean that the DEM oscillator needs to leak some current to properly start?:confused:

QSerraTico_Tico said:
Some chips have built in cap.
Check with test CD and low level sine wave.
If the oscillator is not working gross crossover distortion

The TDA1541 has the cap built-in .
The 1541A doesn't.
No need to check with sine, music is very distorted until I touch the pin 17 with my oscilloscope probe.

I am just asking if anyone experienced this problem and if found a way to cure it (bigger/ different cap, etc...)

Cheers

Andrea

Andypairo said:

Err... do you mean that the DEM oscillator needs to leak some current to properly start?:confused:

The TDA1541 has the cap built-in .
The 1541A doesn't.
No need to check with sine, music is very distorted until I touch the pin 17 with my oscilloscope probe.

I am just asking if anyone experienced this problem and if found a way to cure it (bigger/ different cap, etc...)

Cheers

Andrea
Bad chip?
Never experienced that what you described.

Addendum to the oddities

Hi,
while testing some chips I plugged in a TDA1541.

This chip is supposed to have a internal DEM oscillator cap (datasheet shows pin 16 and 17 unconnected).

To my surprise leaving them disconnected distortion was rocket high. Putting the cap in made it lower to reasonable levels.
Using DEM reclock lowered it further. Go figure!

The chip used is late 1541 production (1987, and also has a Y printed, that, if I recall correctly, was mentioned to be meaning "development sample")....maybe a early 1541A?

Anyone had similar experience?

Cheers

Andrea:confused:

Hi,

datasheets can be wrong at times

This is certainly possible, but I doubt nobody verified it.

Surely there are players around with TDA1541 and without the Cosc cap

Example:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Does anybody have a direct experience?

Cheers

Andrea

edit: maybe the Cosc is under the green ceramic...wrong example in that case

Re: Tda1541a info

siu sin man tho said:
hi,

I had some detail TDA1541a info from the philips factory when I design the parallel TDA1541a D/A board.
its a PDF format approx 60~70 pages.
Anyone who had interest pls email to me.
I zip already & will email to him.
hope this can help U.

this is my email.

thomas@diyaudiocraft.com.

thanks

thomas
Anyone has this document???

:confused:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.